Arms Locker banner

What type of knife sharpener do you prefer?

• Clamp on System (like Lansky) that holds blade at correct angle to stone.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Commercial Soft Sharpening Stone (any size)

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Commercial Hard Stone (any size)

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Ceramic Rod Sharpeners (any size)

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Diamond Sharpeners (any style flat or rod)

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Plastic Handle design with Tungsten Carbide V shaped sharpener

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Any other V notch type

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electric Sharpener (commercially marketed as a knife sharpener)

• Metal Rod

• Razor Strop

• Grinding Wheel (electric or manual)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Stone from the boonies, your backyard, or someone's kidneys

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I have money to burn, and just buy new blades when the old ones get dull

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm no sharpening expert, but I can reasonable sharpen most blades with my DMT diamond sharpeners. I have the black, blue, red and green of this model. And the blue, red and green of the conical rods for the serrations. I also have one of these. One of the best things about these DMT sharpeners is that they are so light and small that you can get some into your vest pockets and you could say that you would have to end up naked to be without some good sharpening utensil.

·
Banned
917 Posts
I have and use all the above, except the last, depending on time, location (home or field) and particular blade.

·
Banned
917 Posts
Lansky probably puts the best edge on, but I don't like its bulk and time to set up. You really can't use it in the field when guttting and skinning. For that task I use a flat diamond stone, then back in camp I set up the Lansky if needed. Respectfully.---OS

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Any ideas for a soft or cermaic becnh stone system that would be suitable for Cold Steel type edge angles???
I used to stick with th esoft Washita stones and oil ; but am willing to try anything simple and effective.BTW ; I made the mistake of dropping off an old Spyderco Endura at a town shop with a "Knives Sharpened " sign.The next day I went to pick it up and the sound of my jaw hitting the floor could be heard at the state line-the guy was an Uber Bubba;he used some kin dof electric grinder and DESTROYED the edge...hell ; he removed almost a half an inch of metal from it and gave me a blank "Whats the Matter" look when he saw MY face:hot::headbang::angry:Oh well ...a lesson learned .:shrugs:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts