Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or was, in the 60's, for the so-wonderful garand? THIRTY inches? How many 30" ricefarmers or goatherders are there? Sort of tells you how effective the M1 ACTUALY is at such ranges, eh? They have to make the target SEVEN times bigger than it really is, or nobody could reliably hit it and they might have to actually be ready for the reality of combat, ie, most shots miss the enemy even it FIFTY yards, cause the enemy is using cover, using darkness, smoke, dust, snow, dodging, firing BACK and your ears are blown out, your buddy's brains are dripping down your face and you're freaked out beyond believe.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Like one guy I used to work with would say-"He don't know shit from apple butter!"

He's off back on Planet Stupidia again.

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
The figure 12 targets that we used to engage at 500 yds were 21.5 inches x 17 inches with the FN C1A1 7.62mm rifle. I suppose that if you put on a thinner National match sight on the Garand, engaging targets out to 500 yds is feasible. Engaging targets at that range in a WROL scenario would depend on the terrain, tactical situation and ammunition supply. Just like it would be with any other rifle.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The figure 12 targets that we used to engage at 500 yds were 21.5 inches x 17 inches with the FN C1A1 7.62mm rifle. I suppose that if you put on a thinner National match sight on the Garand, engaging targets out to 500 yds is feasible. Engaging targets at that range in a WROL scenario would depend on the terrain, tactical situation and ammunition supply. Just like it would be with any other rifle.
The man has never fired an M-1 Garand, but of course he's an expert on it's capabilities. My two old CMP M-1's can put a serious hurt on a full size silhouette at 350 yards, the longest range I have access to. The M-1 would be an impossibility for Melvin to use. Too heavy, loud, and kicks horribly, you know. What a pansy! His weakness shows through every time a .308 or .30/06 is mentioned.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
or was, in the 60's, for the so-wonderful garand? THIRTY inches? How many 30" ricefarmers or goatherders are there? Sort of tells you how effective the M1 ACTUALY is at such ranges, eh? They have to make the target SEVEN times bigger than it really is, or nobody could reliably hit it and they might have to actually be ready for the reality of combat, ie, most shots miss the enemy even it FIFTY yards, cause the enemy is using cover, using darkness, smoke, dust, snow, dodging, firing BACK and your ears are blown out, your buddy's brains are dripping down your face and you're freaked out beyond believe.
is that thirty inches for the entire circle of the target, or for the bullseye? And you do know that doctrine and training have both evolved since then.

current USMC targets, not including the the threat targets for shoot houses:

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Terry, have you fitted your Garands with National Match front sights? Highly recommended, like the difference between night and day.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Terry, have you fitted your Garands with National Match front sights? Highly recommended, like the difference between night and day.
Sure haven't, you wouldn't know a source by any chance?

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
sorry no, I put NM front sights on almost 22-23 years ago on my current Garand

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
sorry no, I put NM front sights on almost 22-23 years ago on my current Garand
I'll just plug along with the originals. I'll likely just get shot in the open at 100 yards with a 10 " CAR with a .22 kit anyway.

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
I'll just plug along with the originals. I'll likely just get shot in the open at 100 yards with a 10 " CAR with a .22 kit anyway.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
know how big a Marine 500 yd bullseye is? or was, in the 60's...
- A: This is no longer the 60's. Most of us have moved on since then. Firearms, vehicles, communications, etc, have all moved way past those times that you so vaguely remember.

- B: When/where did you see James Yeager recommending an SBR-length 223 with a silencer as "the way to go"...?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
- A: This is no longer the 60's. Most of us have moved on since then. Firearms, vehicles, communications, etc, have all moved way past those times that you so vaguely remember.

- B: When/where did you see James Yeager recommending an SBR-length 223 with a silencer as "the way to go"...?

I posted the current targets. The dimensions are there, he is posting something he apparently doesn't understand

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I posted the current targets. The dimensions are there, he is posting something he apparently doesn't understand
Clearly. Most likely just another incorrect/fabricated memory from decades long gone.

Reactions: BigEd
1 - 15 of 15 Posts