Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Krept. You were asking for information on building 1911s, and I ran across this article. It's about building a beater from a parts kit, so I don't know if it is of interest to you, but I enjoyed reading it, and I thought I'd pass it along. Looks like he really turned a sow's ear into a silk purse!!!

http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project/

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
thats a an informative and well written artical. when reading it it took me back to the first 1911's that i built, and all of the assocaited problems you can and do run into. after building a few dozen and supervising a few dozen it can be nice to see someone putting one together, from what most pelple call junk parts. after the first few you learn which parts can be cheaper and which ones need to be quality. you also find out pretty quick what tools are needed to put one together. :cool:

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
AW,HELL 'guys',,,I recall 'buyin' a $54 frame @a 'pawn-shop' and slappin'/filin' a #1911 A-1 together,IN ABOUT [3] EVENINGS/AFTER-DUTY!!,,,!,as the rest of the parts came direct/straight from a marine corp armory,,,"BUDDY"! [ya, know ?them dar' JAR-HEAD'S???,,, they could PROVE-TROUBLE.]

or as my 'HERO' COL.NORTH once said; "WELL,SENATOR! BEING A MEAR FRAIL,FLAWED, MORTAL MAN ! 'I CAIN'T RECALLECT',,, ON/ABOUT 'your' MUSEINGS :madeuce:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
neolithic hunter said:
thats a an informative and well written artical. when reading it it took me back to the first 1911's that i built, and all of the assocaited problems you can and do run into. after building a few dozen and supervising a few dozen it can be nice to see someone putting one together, from what most pelple call junk parts. after the first few you learn which parts can be cheaper and which ones need to be quality. you also find out pretty quick what tools are needed to put one together. :cool:
Right, neo! As you probably know, I'm still at the very-rookie stage of 1911s. I took Dave's on-line course and learned a WORLD of information. However, that's different from making an existing gun run. Having learned so much about taking brand new, high-grade parts and building them properly, I realize that I also want to learn so much - and have so much to learn! - about diagnosing and fixing problems with existing guns, building from parts that may be out of spec, etc. cbass and I have been mulling over the thought of buying a couple of sets of low-grade parts and the like from Sacro, with the express INTENTION of having problems arise that we have to solve. I think it would be a great learning experience.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the article. I found it informative about that side of things, and also enjoyed the author's apparent good humor about it all.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Gee. That makes me want to build a 45 but I think I want my first one to be from quality parts so i don't lose too much confidence.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, R. Yes! Me too! That's why the course was so good - you got to use high-grade parts that were for SURE in-spec. BIG confidence builder. Now it's time for the junky stuff, and the wonderful cursing and sweating that goes along with them. lol!

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
double post.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
well guys if your going to build one out of the cheapest parts you can find it will be a learning experance beyond compare. just do me a favor when you start your project, start with the idea of it being a beater gun that couldn't hit the washington monument if the muzzle was in contact with it. you will be supprised how well it will shoot when your finished. another thing to remember is that what ever finish is on it, it will get marred and scared, so go for function and not looks to begin with. also don't use any none standard componets to begin with. you can fancy it up later on down the road. lol and have fun if you have any problems i'm just a keyboard away folks. :cool:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
neolithic hunter said:
well guys if your going to build one out of the cheapest parts you can find it will be a learning experance beyond compare. just do me a favor when you start your project, start with the idea of it being a beater gun that couldn't hit the washington monument if the muzzle was in contact with it.
Yep, that's the purpose. I already have some nice .45s, and some more in progress. What I'm after is the self-education that comes from figuring out what's wrong. So, at the outset, we'll go into this knowing we'll have major problems. As for the guns, we'll try to get them to go bang, at least fairly regularly, and always in the correct 180 degree plain. lol! It's the education that we're really after!

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
164 Posts
The link convinced me it's not beyond my skill set and I can't think of a more perfect truck gun - if it runs. :)

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
well,then!!!,,,"welcome, FELLOW members into the HALLS "

DON'T BE 'scared',,,as [much like 'death' many better men than YOU!,,,HAVE ALREADY PASSED-THRU.],,,it WILL BE A FUN 'project'[ya,know! I'M tryin' to git' surplus 'links' to cycle through a 1919 browning/30-06 LINKS in a .308 configuation/IT WILL WORK,,,DAMMIT. :headbang: ]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like all 1911 people, I made some real PPJG's in the good old days. When I did all the work, I still had a POS. The same with factory gun tweakin'. When you are done you still have the XYZ no matter how much nicer it is. Most smiths do the tweakin' Very few of them can afford the time it takes to build a high quality custom 1911. Take $75.00 an hour times 100-150 and you will see what I mean.
I love that article and am trying to get all of my students to read it. It is very well done and certainly proves my point in trying to build a 1911 with no road map! This guy really learned the hard way! I looked at the rear end of that thing and it brought back a lot of memories.
By the way, you can make it line up with a gunsmith fit barrel........................

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Thanks for the link bud! Just logged in today for the first time in weeks. Looks like an awesome site... right along the lines I was looking for :)

cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts