Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night we had a visit from traspasser.

My room is upstairs and my grandma has arthritis so when she needs me she just knocks on the stair-way wall instead of walking up the stairs.

And my granddad owns his owns a brick mason company so there are several trucks and cement mixers around the property.

Right behind the trucks is a brick fence, on the other side is the highway.

At about 10 pm last knight she knocked on the wall and I stuck my head out my door and asked what she needed, she said she saw something in the yard. I asked if it was the stray dog agene (lately a stray has bin storing the trash) she said it was to big and looked like a person. My first thought was someone was stealing something out of one of the trucks. I went to my gun safe and took out a Remington 870 12 -gage and a bandolier of 00- buck shot. I asked my grandma to find a flashlight. I walked to the side-porch door and notice the motion lights where the trucks are parked where one so I immediately stepped out of the door and chambered a round into the Remington. I walked off the porch and started toward to trucks trying to keep in the shadows of the many pine trees in the yard. About the time I got to the trucks I saw a person climb over the fence. The person appeared about 6 foot, African American and kinda large. I ran to the fence but once there could not see anyone. So I looked around all the trucks and nothing seemed to be missing but one tool-box was open. (apparently it was left unlocked) an the ground beside the truck where a drill and saw that where kept in the tool-box.

Since nothing appeared damaged or missing we dint call the cops but tonight since I don’t have school tomorrow will come down stairs and check to see if any one is in the yard! I’m still kinda shook up by what could have happed.

When I got into the house I notice my hand where shaking worst than when I kill my first deer. I will let yall know if I see him agene.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
GC_jr,

You be careful. If he comes back he may bring friends. I strongly suggest that you call your police or sheriff's dept and let them know about this. They will probably have some suggestions and may alert their men for a trouble call. Because of your age (no slur on you) you could find yourself in big trouble if you shoot somebody even if its justifiable. Following that would be a big civil lawsuit from the thief or his family.

I'm not saying run away and be a coward but you need to think through what the results could be from your actions. I personally would call the cops and shoot only if somebody comes into the house.

Just remember, insurance will replace anything that is stolen. Nothing can ever replace you if you are killed or crippled.

Luck.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I agree with what Rika said 100%.

Also, cheap spotlights are available at Walmart if you dont have one. Theyre under $20.

Put a spotlight on the bastard and tell him the cops are on their way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well……..If I was thinking I would have called the police but I am 16 so that 6 foot tall and bullet proof thing set in……lol if he comes back ill most likely call the police.

The spotlight sounds good to. I have one I used to use to **** hunt, think ill get it charging.

Well ill talk to yall later

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
there are also some motion sensing lights available with an indoor chime option, in other words, when the light goes off, the chime alerts you.

Absolutely call the police, they're there to check on stuff outside. The shotgun is used when there is an immediate threat to you, which in this case, there wasn't as Raider alluded to.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This it getting to be a problem 7: 30 they just came back, two of them. When confronted by us (me and my granddad) they ran. we called the police. They will be here shortly (the police) . Hope this takes care of it

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Careful. If they think there is something of value they will be back later. Possibly with guns.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Again, I agree with Rika. They smell an easy score.

Work on your security procedures. Lock <font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font> up, install more lights and a house alarm like Krept mentioned, and maybe try to get some pics so the cops know who it is.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Might also help to p[ark the stuff where you have a good view of it from in the house, if you can.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Let me chime in here. First Let Grandpa read this also. PLEASE install motion sensitive lighting around the house. Also have the electric company put up 1 to 2 lights at the edges of your propertry near the road. I also sugest some rolls of barbed or razor wire along the top of the brick fence. If that is the only fence I also suggest a chan link fence of at least 6' height 8' would be ideal again with barbed or razor wire, around the rest of your property's perimeter. Once that is implaced a WELL TRAINED guard dog would also be a good asset.

All this is not cheap I know,but what is the price of your family's safety?

Again take care, best wishes.

,Ed

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Call the police, do it asap. Let them know that someone was out there. This will create a record of a problem that will help keep you out of trouble if something bad happens.

Mike

·
Registered
720 Posts
If the problem persists, and there is no relief from local law, we can discuss, theoretically, of course, tactics that might put the interlopers at a severe disadvantage.
SatCong
PS ALWAYS Cover Your A**, legally and strategicly

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
the added lights/razor wire/911 calls ,are the way to go G-CRAZYjr!

keep that 870 handy,although, i 'would' suggest the first shell chamberd be a field/bird load.[triggering it should provide the needed incentive for him/them to UN-ASS your a.o.]

is there a back hatch/door you can come out of? as i'm sure 'they' have the front one pegged,by now.

these guys are 'sneak thief dopers' and you shoud figure them armed/not going down.[i.e. not getting caught]

a large barking dog would 9times out of 10 keep them on the other side of the wall.

good luck.

:wavey:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
brass hammer said:
keep that 870 handy,although, i 'would' suggest the first shell chamberd be a field/bird load.[triggering it should provide the needed incentive for him/them to UN-ASS your a.o.
I disagree. If you need that shotgun, you're probably going to need it bad. I wouldn't want to face a potentially violent encounter with a shotgun stoked with birdshot if I could have buckshot instead.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The shotgun is a last resort weapon and should be used only when life is threatened. As such, I agree that it should be loaded with buckshot.

RIKA

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well we are on alert tonight. As to the 870 well its about 4 feet away right now. And I keep buck shot in it, my dad always told me if I ever brought a weapon into a fight, knife, gun , base ball bat etc…. the I should be planning to leave the person dead on the ground. I don’t fire warning shots! If situation escalates to the point that a gun is used I will be shooting to kill. Now BB- pistols and sling-shots might be a good idea…….j/k :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Gun_crazy_JR said:
Well we are on alert tonight. As to the 870 well its about 4 feet away right now. And I keep buck shot in it, my dad always told me if I ever brought a weapon into a fight, knife, gun , base ball bat etc…. the I should be planning to leave the person dead on the ground. I don’t fire warning shots! If situation escalates to the point that a gun is used I will be shooting to kill. Now BB- pistols and sling-shots might be a good idea…….j/k :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi:

lol sht man, use fishing line with tripwires, put glass on top of the fence if you can, if not, use grease it'll make things a REAL PITA for them. set up noisy cans and crap so when theyre tripped all hell breaks loose. secure the perimeter and defend your cave, no reason to dick around outside, you'll just give them a clean shot. If you hear noise, call POPO but get all valuables INSIDE ASAP.

good luck

cheers

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Let's keep our heads, here. You can get into a world of trouble using deadly force to defend "property", unless it entails someone entiring your domicile. You shoot somebody over a an attempt steal a battery or a piece of farm equipment, and you'll be paying lawyer's a years income and quite possibly do some time. Unless you or your loved one's are threatened, call the police. Don't go charging into the night with a shotgun. Also, let's not advise minors to do something that could badly affect the rest of their lives.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Terry G said:
Let's keep our heads, here. You can get into a world of trouble using deadly force to defend "property", unless it entails someone entiring your domicile. You shoot somebody over a an attempt steal a battery or a piece of farm equipment, and you'll be paying lawyer's a years income and quite possibly do some time. Unless you or your loved one's are threatened, call the police. Don't go charging into the night with a shotgun. Also, let's not advise minors to do something that could badly affect the rest of their lives.
I have to agree with the above, especially after reading what follows:
Gun_crazy_JR said:
my dad always told me if I ever brought a weapon into a fight, knife, gun , base ball bat etc…. the I should be planning to leave the person dead on the ground. I don’t fire warning shots! If situation escalates to the point that a gun is used I will be shooting to kill.
You need to remember that in any legal civilian or LEO shooting situation you do not ever shoot to kill. You shoot to STOP. If shooting to stop means that you wound up killing someone, well so be it, he/she died - but you shot to STOP not to kill. Shooting to stop does not mean shooting at an arm or a leg rather than at center mass if a clear center mass shot is available. You shoot to stop at the most and best part of the target at which you are shooting. You also need to remember that in any situation where a gun is used, it does not necessarily mean the gun will need to be fired, yet you just put in print, in a public forum, that should you ever use a gun you will shot to kill! I think I know what you meant, however, it was a poor choice of words that could haunt you.

The thing is though, if you ever do shoot and kill someone, then IF YOU TESTIFY THAT YOU SHOT TO KILL, a district attorney (politically motivated or maybe seeking a promotion or a job with a big law firm or a TV show contract) will or may make you out to look like a psycho killer vigilante. The family attorney of the dead guy will make him look like a choir boy (because they will be suing you and taking away your house and trucks, and tools and money) and so on. It does not matter if the guy was a threat to you or not, you will very possibly be seen as or made out to be the child psycho killer vigilante, and you may wind up in jail - tried as an adult.

Also bear in mind that statements you make on this board could be used as evidence against you in any criminal or civil proceeding if you actually shoot someone. If you shoot a bad guy who is threatening your life or the life of a family member and the bad guy goes down and drops his gun - you should stop shooting since he is no longer a threat. Now the bad guy starts crawling to his gun all the while loudly begging you not to shoot (to psych you out while he gets his gun). It becomes obvious to you that he is about to shoot you if he can grab the gun. He is too far from you for you to get to him or to the gun to prevent his getting it in time. What do you do?

Just before he grabs the gun you decide to shoot a second time. You kill him with a head shot. The police arrive 20 minutes later. They take statements. They also find two other guys hiding in the bushes (whom you never found) who have crapped their pants because they were accomplices of the bad guy you just iced. You tell the police your story, they tell theirs. The police wind up examining the evidence and present it to a DA. A week later, he gets a warrant for your arrest on manslaughter or murder charges, and the fun begins.

Why are you charged? Well the two guys in the bushes saw their pal crawling on the ground toward you after you shot him. They saw you towering over him on your porch, raise your shotgun, and fire a second time. They saw his head take the shot (I don't care where you were aiming, this is where you hit him if only because he was crawling toward you). They saw him die. They also tell the unbelieving police that the other bad guy, their pal, was begging you not to shoot him (yes he was planning on killing you, but how will you prove it).

The bad guys (the two from the bushes) have nothing to lose, they were caught red handed but will not face much time because they have both offered to give evidence against the kid psycho killer. Just so happens they are a minority and you are white. Guess what - now you are also the racist kid psycho killer! What a sensational case. It also is an especially strong case because the two jerks, err pals, testify that the other bad guy had no weapon in his hands, and that there was no weapon in sight near him. Yes you know the weapon was there but they did not see it from their vantage point for whatever reason. They have both given sworn statements, and they have bot passed a polygraph examination. You are now in very deep doo-doo.

You tell the authorities all you know, wanting to be very up front and honest because you know you did no wrong - and your parents or grandparents back up your story and let you tell your side. Then after you are arrested you decide, oh-oh I better lawyer up. You get a lawyer and your lawyer convinces you to shut up. You will not take a polygraph exam based upon the advice of counsel, and even if you did it is 2 - 1 against you even if you pass (and you may not necessarily pass even when telling the truth). Remember even if you pass as truthful, so did the other two guys - isn't their story also true - it sure is!

This would be a big case, nationwide news, and you would quite possibly go to jail especially after the DA got hold of stuff you have already posted on this web site. At the very least you would wind up spending everything to keep you out of jail - including selling the house and all that other stuff. You would be screwed (more on this later), maybe all because you said you always shoot to kill.

By the way, before you start shooting, call the police, let them handle it. You stay inside with your shotgun, and only shoot if the bad guys get in and are a threat of life or serious bodily injury or if they are trying to get in and are such, or are still outside and are such (such as shooting or pointing a gun from outside). If you go outside, you are taking a chance of other attackers you do not see who will get the drop on you, or that you wind up shooting someone in the dark who is a cop (and that was looking for a prowler). This could really get you put away for a long time.

What I am telling you is not far fetched. With all respect to your dad, the advice your dad gave you, although well intentioned, could come back to bite you in your arse, or maybe even worse you could get screwed (more on this later).

Oh is it later already - well ok here goes: After getting various sized penises inserted forcefully into your rectum (getting screwed) by several hairy and very ugly and vile men on a regular recurring basis for many years while serving time in a penitentiary, you will likely decide that those words from your dad may not have been so wise after all (no disrespect intended). Here is my advice: If you find yourself in a situation wherein you must shoot to defend yourself, or another innocent, from life threatening or serious bodily harm: Always shoot to stop.

Sure shoot at center mass, or the best available part of the target, but once the threat has stopped, you stop shooting. Never, in a civilian role (including civil servant) complete the job by killing after the threat has stopped. Maybe you can do this in the military, and I really don't know if you can or not but you cannot do it in civilian life legally. If you happen to kill, while you were shooting to stop the threat, explain that you shot center mass because it is the most effective way to assure stopping the threat an opponent posed, and not because you were intent on killing. Then when the threat has passed - stop shooting. :wavey:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Thats some of the best advice you will ever hear, G C_Jr.

Thanks Glenn.

RIKA

1 - 20 of 29 Posts