Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
84 C4 said:
I support the Timocracy: "rule by the elite," if you've read the book (not the movie, but it does briefly touch on it) Starship Troopers, you'll know what I mean.
Well, not really. The governemnt in Starship Troopers, which DOES have a lot of good points, isn't ruled by any "elite" group unless you consider the current system in the US to be elite based on age, etc. ANYONE had the right to vote once they demonstrated that they put the safety of the populace ahead of their own via a term of civil service - that is usually very dangerous - not less that two years in length. Neat idea, but not perfect.

I suggest that ANYONE who reads Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" also follows it up by reading "The Forever War" by Haldeman. (I think that is the right author.) That'll give you both sides of the coin in a manner of speaking.

KJ

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
84 C4 said:
It's a power grab. The Federal Gov't has steadily been eating away at the rights and authority of the States as well as the citizens. Not a smart move in my opinion. Here in the US of A, people don't tolerate that kind of crap. Unless the Federal Gov't starts sacrificing it's ill gotten power, another rebellion would be all but inevitable.

Before America was even 75 years old, it suffered 3 rebellions. Shay's Rebellion, the Whiskey Rebellion, and the Civil War. Many historians also consider the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's to be a Civil War.
I'd like to point out that the War of Northern Aggression was not truly a "Civil War" by any definition and really shouldn't be called such. Although I can never accept what resulted from that horrible day in Appomattox, I do NOT want to ever seen it repeated again here in the US. I hope it never comes to anything close to that again, but a civil war it still was not.

As an aside, I have forgiven Grant for his actions. Lincoln probably was one of the best people to help the southern states even if he did NOT help states rights, etc. Sheridan (especially) and Sherman should have been tried - and executed - for war crimes.

KJ

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
As should have the commanding officer at Andersonville.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Glenn Bartley said:
As should have the commanding officer at Andersonville.
Is that worse than the thousands of confederate ex-soldiers that were SUPPOSED to have been released that actually died in union camps AFTER cessation of defensive actions by southerners?

Besides, confederate soldiers were dying from the same things as the POW there, so we certainly didn't treat our guys to a world of wealth while starving POWs. If the Yankees hadn't burned our crops (to starve civilians) maybe we would have had food to feed the POW.......

·
Registered
611 Posts
Glenn Bartley said:
We influence our elected representatives to government office. If you do not understand that about this country then try a stint in Germany, or Haiti, or North Korea for a difference. Different countries of very different natures where your say as a citizen would mean lots less than here. The people are the government here in the USA - no doubt in my mind, as I guess there is no doubt in yours that we are not.

Let's just say we look at it from different angles and leave it at that.

As for the switch of topic to the "War between the States," I aint touchen it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
the ONLY reason that we have it any better than any other country is that we have fighting guns. Not slowfire target guns, but AR-15's, etc, which can easily be fitted with cans. Such a gun makes one man VERY capable of hitting a dozen hotshots, despite all their bodyguards, and they KNOW it,too. Not all at once, of course, but capable of getting AROUND to a dozen, with impunity, if you go at it right.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Glenn,

I wish you wouldn't have deleted that last post. I enjoyed reading it and no offense taken, at least on my part. I was just too busy working this weekend to reply promptly.

KJ

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
This law is a bad law but it does open the door for challenge under equal protection act and such. It'll either be crushed in court or it will open the door for nationwide CCW.

Mike

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hopefully, I don't need to say it, but will anyway.

I would VERY strongly support the nationwide CCW approach. We honor driver licenses and marriage licenses on a national scale, so why not weapon licenses. (Although I hate the term "weapon license" myself.)

·
Registered
779 Posts
I know it's simplistic to this disscusion but what part of ...."shall not be infringed." don't they understand?!!!

I've carried in places without a permit because a dang well needed to. Southside of Chicago is one of them. Hell even with a permit I'd bet you'd get railroaded there in court. There is Shoot Scoot and Shutup.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I wish you wouldn't have deleted that last post. I enjoyed reading it and no offense taken, at least on my part. I was just too busy working this weekend to reply promptly.
My post was deleted because I thought it over and it was way too much in regard to what you said. Happy you were not offended, I did not mean to offend, but thought it might so I deleted it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts