Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1978 or so, we were shooting at an 18"x25" rectangle at 10 yds. Including reaction time, The hand start position was "visible hand distance" like the SA fast draw competitors use, but we were using secure rigs and 1911's. Ron Bright and I were getting hits in sub .60 second, using one hand point shooting. Plenty of misses, too, but you would not want to have been standing where that target was, cause some of those misses would have hit your head or legs. VERY few people can post such react and hit times, staring gun in both hands, at low or high ready. .20 second of such times is your reaction-time, So the draw and hit, phisical move times were sub .40 second. When youj're working with cocked and locked SA autos, there's no "feel" of when to drop the hammer, as there CAN be (if you work at it enough) with DA guns. I used to think" that I didn't ever disengate the safety lever until the gun 'came level", but I had a snagged draw one time that proved me wrong. The "hooked' front sight blade on an unaltered Colt 22lr conversion unit is very dangerous to your legs at such speeds, espeically from an IWB rig. The great majorit of people have never posted a sub 1.0 second reaction draw and hit at 10yds in their life, from any sort of rig. They are bowling, while carping about jai-alia players. Al Thornton said it best, once, to a guy was arguing with me about something that he had no clue about. He told Hatfield, "You and I are kite-flyers and he's a jet-pilot". :)

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
We were all different in our 20's than in our 60's. When I was in my 20's I picked up the rear end of a toyota or honda (don't remember which) to get it over a curbed drop-off they'd stupidly driven over. Could I do it now? I not only VERY much doubt so, fact is I'm not planning on trying to find out. We all could do things then that we mostly can't now, and you're no exception. The 'staggering a bit' as you walk that you specifically brought up is one example. The claim that you're so disabled that all your student loans were forgiven is another. Reduced physical prowess that accompanies advanced age is nothing to be ashamed of, but it's definitely a limiting factor. Not trying to be mean about it, but reality simply is what it is.

Don't let your upcoming milestone birthday make you crazy. I was some slower at 60 than I was at 50, and I'll probably be slower at 70 than when I turned 60. And you will be also. It's okay and an unavoidable part of not dying young.

Gesture Font Sleeve Event Greeting

·
Registered
10,758 Posts
These days when I compete, I worry less about where I stand overall (unless my wife is shooting with me) than I do about doing my personal best in the fastest time, with the minimal mistakes and minimal misses. I shot a 3 gun match on Sunday, the RO didn't recognize me from last year, he asked if I had a holster course. I told him that I did my IPSC "Black Badge" Course in 1986. I then heard 2 voices behind me, one said "I was only 10 years old then", the other said "I wasn't even born then". I would be an idiot thinking I could keep up with them, but I shot consistently and skillfully, which counts for more.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
...I told him that I did my IPSC "Black Badge" Course in 1986. I then heard 2 voices behind me, one said "I was only 10 years old then", the other said "I wasn't even born then".
A couple of our technicians were talking about their birthdays, and I heard newest & youngest guy say that his birthday was January 19. I commented that that was my dad's birthday as well. My dad was born in 1924; this guy was born in 2000. Definitely will make you feel old.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1978 or so, we were shooting at an 18"x25" rectangle at 10 yds. Including reaction time, The hand start position was "visible hand distance" like the SA fast draw competitors use, but we were using secure rigs and 1911's. Ron Bright and I were getting hits in sub .60 second, using one hand point shooting. Plenty of misses, too, but you would not want to have been standing where that target was, cause some of those misses would have hit your head or legs. VERY few people can post such react and hit times, staring gun in both hands, at low or high ready. .20 second of such times is your reaction-time, So the draw and hit, phisical move times were sub .40 second. When youj're working with cocked and locked SA autos, there's no "feel" of when to drop the hammer, as there CAN be (if you work at it enough) with DA guns. I used to think" that I didn't ever disengate the safety lever until the gun 'came level", but I had a snagged draw one time that proved me wrong. The "hooked' front sight blade on an unaltered Colt 22lr conversion unit is very dangerous to your legs at such speeds, espeically from an IWB rig. The great majorit of people have never posted a sub 1.0 second reaction draw and hit at 10yds in their life, from any sort of rig. They are bowling, while carping about jai-alia players. Al Thornton said it best, once, to a guy was arguing with me about something that he had no clue about. He told Hatfield, "You and I are kite-flyers and he's a jet-pilot". :)
mostly an SA revolver guy, like Arganbright. Bob had of course made fast draw rigs (several styles) for both of them. Ronnie and Bob both shot IPSC with me at Columbia MO for a couple of years. Ron was in the habit of hitting the thumb safety on a 1911 but then going on down to grip the stock, not staying on the safety lever. It cost him the leatherslap against me

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
you people can't read. I'ts not about age differences, it's about the draw and hit times. you NEVER had that sort of speed. I ve still got 90% of it. :)
What are you drawing and hitting with? Who has never had the speed you had? You do a lot of bragging about things that you never did. Shooting airsoft really isn't the same as shooting centerfire handguns. You're what seventy something now? So am I and I will say I don't have the speed or accuracy I had when I was in my twenties and thirties. I saw it this last LEOSA Qualification going against young Cops. Aging is a fact of life, you might as well admit it. How can someone who hasn't fired a gun legally for forty years maintain any level of proficiency? The answer is you can't.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
You're what seventy something now?
70 this month. (And I'm not posting someone else's private info - he's made a lot of his personal life public over the years, including birth date.)

Aging is a fact of life, you might as well admit it.
That would be like admitting that the weaker and impossible-to-find 9x21 isn't actually better than the more powerful and available-everywhere 9x19. It's the undeniably rational thing to do, but don't hold your breath waiting on rational behavior with gunkid. I've tried for years, but am about to give up altogether.

How can someone who hasn't fired a gun legally for forty years maintain any level of proficiency? The answer is you can't.
Exactly. Logically undeniable, but logic shall not be allowed in the land of gunkid sermons.

·
Registered
10,758 Posts
you people can't read. I'ts not about age differences, it's about the draw and hit times. you NEVER had that sort of speed. I ve still got 90% of it. :)
It is not about age Melvin, it is about accepting reality, and as previously mentioned (dozen and dozens of times) IPSC is nothing more than a game. Tactical "lessons" learned from IPSC is a short path to a hole in the ground in real life.

·
Registered
10,758 Posts
Another day, another match. Guns worked flawlessly, reloads went smoothly with no problems, trying to ramp up the speed cost me far more misses than I expected. Oh well, next match starts Friday!

Reactions: Dorobuta and BigEd
1 - 11 of 11 Posts