Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever noticed that when folks start talking about their defensive pistols they only mention big pistols? Don't we all know shooters who get a romantic look in their eyes while describing their tricked out 1911 that was hand built by the board of directors of a gunsmithing guild, immortalized by the prose of a hundred gun magazines, and personally blessed by Jeff Cooper?

Ah, but ask this shooter about his, or her, everyday carry gun (EDC) and you'll get a softspoken admission that the "beauty" stays safely locked away until range day, while the little small calibered "beast" rides with them throughout the day and into the darkness of night. Like a faithful side-kick, the underappreciated EDC probably sits between the wallet and a sweat soaked pocket lining, with little more than pocket fuzzies to cushion the bumps and precipitate a malfunction in a crucial moment.

Come range day, the roles are reversed and the queen of the safe dances through round after round. Indeed, the EDC seldom fires a shot. Are we not all guilty of this?

Perhaps the next time you go to the range, you should focus on your proficiency with the EDC. Ideally, we should wring out the EDC, thus insuring our skill and the confidence that comes with experience. Fire one, two, even three boxes of ammo through it under realistic conditions as you save the world from empty drink cans and old shotgun hulls. Use an old discarded chair and a large cardboard box to simulate being in a car, an office, or a restaurant.

In doing so, we can prove to ourselves that the EDC will function without fail, and perhaps more importantly, that we can do the same.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I COPY, BROTHER, G-BULLET!

heck, if all is at hand is a single shot 16ga.[i'm comfey]

:dgrin:

this was a good posting!G-BULLET!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The EDC gets a workout next time I go to the range. Thanks GB.

RIKA

·
Registered
378 Posts
I burn off 20 rds every month. I know that ammo doesnt have a shelf life, but I empty my carry mags on the 1st of each month and relaod with new ammo. I know this isn't much but sometimes I have to squeeze the time out as I have 2 jobs, 4 kids, 1 turtle, 1dog. and a wife that all lay claim to my time.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The carry gets shot at every range outing (3-4x per month), sometimes two mags sometimes two hundred rounds. The deal is proficiency and confidence, with and in.
SatCong

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
My "major" carry gun is a Glock 19, and it gets fired probably 100-150 a month or so; maybe a little more.

My "always" gun, a keltec P32, generally only gets a couple mags a month through it.

The little gun's just not as much fun to shoot, that's true...

My 'most-fired' gun is the ciener unit. It gets shot probably 100-150 a week, but the CAR's kind of tough to conceal... :cool:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
GBullet said:
Have you ever noticed that when folks start talking about their defensive pistols they only mention big pistols? Don't we all know shooters who get a romantic look in their eyes while describing their tricked out 1911 that was hand built by the board of directors of a gunsmithing guild, immortalized by the prose of a hundred gun magazines, and personally blessed by Jeff Cooper?
Although I don't have one, I would like to get an "heirloom" gun put together. I know this isn't what you're talking about, but. . .

Come range day, the roles are reversed and the queen of the safe dances through round after round. Indeed, the EDC seldom fires a shot. Are we not all guilty of this?
Nope, in fact looking over the past year, my little "beast" (SP-101) got shot more than any of my other handguns, with the other carry guns (P-90, GP-100, 629) pretty much splitting the majority of the remainder of the handgun practice. I didn't really consciously decide to do this, but the "always" gun just gets shot the most.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts