Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
July 2, 2008: Indian police in Himachal Pradesh recently agreed to sell several hundred Lee-Enfield rifles, and thousands of rounds of World War II vintage ammunition, to police in Jharkhand. Himachal Pradesh (an Indian state just south of Kashmir) wants to buy more modern weapons. Jharkhand (in eastern India) is having problems with communist rebels, and the bolt action Lee-Enfields are adequate for arming local voluntary security units. Since many of these volunteers belong to tribes out in the countryside, they like having a fine, if elderly, hunting rifle like the Lee-Enfield.
The Lee-Enfield is one of the oldest, and still widely used, rifles on the planet. Over 17 million were manufactured between 1895 and the 1980s. While there are more AK-47s out there (over 20 million in private hands), these are looked down on by those who use their rifles for hunting, or killing with a minimum expenditure of ammunition. The 8.8 pound Lee-Enfield is a bolt-action rifle (with a ten round magazine) noted for its accuracy and sturdiness. The inaccurate AK-47 has a hard time hitting anything more than a hundred meters away, while the Lee-Enfield can drop an animal, or a man, at over 400 meters.
There are millions of Lee-Enfields still in use throughout India, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and even Iraq and other Persian Gulf nations. These are largely World War II leftovers. In the early half of the 20th century, the British gave out millions of these weapons to allies, or those being courted. Noting the accuracy of the Lee-Enfield (.303 caliber, or 7.7mm), the locals came to prize the rifle for hunting, and self-defense. There are still many gunsmiths throughout the region (and at least one factory in India) that will refurbish century old Lee-Enfields to "like new" condition. Ammunition is still manufactured, with the high quality stuff going for a dollar a round, and lesser quality for 25 cents a round. These rifles sell in the west for $500-1,000. Non-firing replicas can be had for a few hundred bucks, and for about twice that you can buy deactivated (cannot be fired) originals. So the Lee-Enfield will carry on well into the 21st century.​
http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20080702.aspx

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
a dollar a round??:crap:AK not able to hit beyond 100 meters???:rolleyes:Damn...I happen to like both systems ,so I wonder just what the writer/editor was smoking:nyah:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
the enfield like the ak will be around for another couple of hundred years. even when out dated by moderen standards it is still a viable deterrence to the bad guys. in the proper hands it could still give the modern army a run for its money.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Don't get me wrong...as I said ealier ; I happen to like BOTH systems. In fact a glaring hole in my inventory was formely occupied by a number of utilitarian mil-surp bolt actions. And I DO plan to fill in THAT gap as money gets more spendable for me(maybe a MN 91-30,or a Finn M39). I just was mystified by the writers idea that the AK has no accuracy potential at all.Good ammo and a well trained /experienced operator is a working formula so long as you stay within the working envelope. The Enfield IS a much better rifle for ranges past 300 meters,no argument from me in that.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
The AK can hit reliably at well over 200 yards. The SMLE can hit much farther with more punch. I like them both. I prefer the MKIII* over the MKIV, but that's just personal taste. George Macdonald Fraser, the author of the Flashman Series of novels and an autobiographical account of his experiences in Burma in WWII, (Quartered Safe Out Here) stated his preference of the MKIII* over the .45 Thompson. When issued the Thompson, he dumped it in a creek and "Acquired" another MKIII*. He killed at least three Japanese with it, and swore by the rifle. Repose in Peace, George MacDonald, you helped me through a rough time. George MacDonald Fraser, R.I.P. 2008.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Way back, I knew an Intelligence Officer, a Russian Jew who emigrated to the United States as a young adult and served as an Army Officer with the sole objective of hurting the Soviet Union.

A side note is as a young pioneer or whatever, their party version of an Eagle Scout, he was trained with both an M16 and an AK, the former for familiarization and the latter for training.

Unlike what we thought, he said they trained with the AK for marksmanship and they hit out to three hundred meters with it. We thought it was spray and pray, but no, he said it was competitive, you weren't a good party member if you weren't hitting and wasting ammo in training wasn't permitted...they wasted ammo in 'displays' and combat, but not for the formal training.

Of course, he wasn't one of their Joe Snuffies, even when a kid, as all things weren't equal in the young pioneers.

Having shot several AK's, both the automatic and the standard imported semi auto, I couldn't shoot an old 7.62 mm AK accurately with those crude sites, but then again, I never had my status with the party and future prospects tied to how well I did...as opposed to shooting the M16A1, M16A2, Mini 14, AR15A3, M1911A1, M9, Security Six, GP 100, HK USP, at different stages and careers in my life.

On the flip side, I've a scope mounted on my semi automatic version of the AK-74 in 5.45 mm and that sucker can hit dead on...not as well as an AR, but more like a decent Mini 14 at close range.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Is your AK74 one of the Krebs builds???I have always been interested in th ecaliber despite my usual aversion to the center fire .22's

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
The AK-47 is a 300 meter gun. It's what it's designed for. You CAN get hits to 600 meters about 80% of the time. Not too shabby. The AK sights are designed for closer-in battles, and are better than the M16's for such (faster to acquire targets). The M16 has the advantage at longer range accuracy-wise, but the ammo runs out of steam at about 200 meters for fragmentation effect (from a 200-in barrel).

The Enfield is an easy 600 meter gun. Not MOA tot hat range with standard FMJ, but you'll drill someone. Now, load up some Matchkings. . .

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have recently traded for a (real) SMLE #5 jungle carbine in fair to good shapeand could use an owners manual if I can find one. Any suggestions/web sites to get or download one?

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil."--Douglas Patton
I would rather be right & truthful than politically correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts