Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"hook" velcro and bug netting don't mix waf, so have the other layers of the system all laid-out ready to get-into set. First get the netting bag and the "breathable" mylar bag (especially the hood) on you first. Then get into the rest of the layers. The hood has to have an elastic "drawstring" with a velcro closure over it. Ditto the drawstring at the neck of the mylar, or you'll need a light to open or close the one you want, when you want. The other layers are 6 by 7 ft, folded longwise so to completely enclose you. That is, other than a hunk of cord that you let hang out thru all the layers, for assured air access as you toss around in your sleep. Velcro WILL "assemble" itself, quite often! It has not yet been cold enough to fully test the entire system. That probably wont happen until sometime in Jan. You dont want to have to bother with the bug netting, in cold weather, except as padding under you, due to the hassle involved with it and the velcro of the other layers. pita.

adhesive backed velco aint waf, it holds nothing and badly gums up your sewing needle

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the military sleep system has no hammock, no bugnetting, weighs 2x as much as my system, is very prone to wearing or tearing holes in it, being ruined by getting wet, has no tarp, and has at least 3x as much bulk.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Given your lack of experience in living in field conditions during various seasons throughout the year, what makes you think your kit is superior?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I don't understand all this DIY trouble, seems to me it is a lot of nonsense when good sleeping bags are available. Time wasted that could be put to good use.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Me nether. A long time ago I bought two Israeli pilot survival sleeping bags, (New) two poncho liners, and two mosquito net's for Deer camp and Canada Spring fishing trips. We've used them for years and stayed toasty warm and critter free. Cost was about $120.00 for everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts