Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Virtually everyone has a horror story about 1 or more firearms that they have owned. He's my lever horror story;

In '94 I was looking for a lever in .357 because I was doing alot of .357 shooting out of my M66 and wanted a cheap and easy round that I could reload in abundance. After looking around for about 6-8 months I couldn't find one, I even phoned Winchester! The nice lady said that they didn't have enough calls to start manufacturing them again. Remember this was before Cowboy Action got bigger.

I finally gave up on .357 and found a Winchester Wrangler in .44 Magnum. Shades of John Wayne that large loop lever was kewl! Little did I realize that with 2 years, I'd start shooting Cowboy Action. I did lots of testing and came up 7.2 grains of Unique pushing a 240 grain LSWC bullet as an accurate target load.

Within the first 20 rds down range, the pot metal feed ramp broke. Off for warranty work! Eight months later I get the rifle back. After every 50 rds the rear sight elevator would fall off. So we have to install a Williams rear sight! Shooting again after every 50 rds the screws in the receiver would work loose. Locktite!! After 1,500 rds the tubular magazine spring gave up the ghost! Wolfe Gunsprings to the rescue. After this the Lever Link broke, 3 months and 5 nasty letters later, Winchester told me they would sell me the part but without warranty! They wanted me to send the gun to the warranty centre again!

That was the last straw, I found a sucker to buy the Winchester and bought a Marlin M1894S, after 8,000 rds through it, it broke a firing pin. I love the quality Marlin builds in.

P.S. My Wrangler was one of 4 Wranglers in town with the same problems.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
A lot of folks say Winchester quality isn't what it used to be. I'm glad I bought a Marlin.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Raider said:
A lot of folks say Winchester quality isn't what it used to be. I'm glad I bought a Marlin.

RIKA

AMEN. Marlins are top. Winchester doesn't have the QC they used to, in the REAL old days.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
My .357 levergun's a Rossi, and had two "issues" when I got it.

First, the thing shot high, even with the rear sight elevator all the way down. Probably somewhat due to being the short 16" barrel; the difference would have been less exaggerated on a 20" gun. Filed two new (lower) notches in the elevator, and problem solved.

Second thing never failed or caused a problem, but looked like it might someday. The rear sight (typical lever action's rear sight) looked to be just staked to the barrel. Looked prone to coming out or (even worse, as it might not be immediately noticed) moving side-to-side. Like I said, it never did anything bad, but worried me. So once I got the sight ladder set right at 50 yards, I epoxied the entire rear sight in place and it's been fine ever since; probably 8 or 9 years now. I can't adjust the rear sight anymore, but on a 16" pistol-caliber carbine, it's not much of an issue; and I now KNOW it's sighted in and solid.

My horror story is with an early Colt Officer's .45acp, probably 1983 or 84. Thing was crap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ain't thsis the get all I was wanting a lever thinking about a rifle incase some cracked up brother go nuts in the neighbor hood or sumthin

was even lookin at Winchester but now don't know not many here sell Marlin in the pistol rounds cause they say at one time Marlin be no good

wanted somethin without lookin like some damn fool punk banger

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Mustafa, all firearm companies have their "dark days" where their QC (Quality Control) wasn't so good. The best option, if there's any place that does this around you, is to rent one at a shooting range and try it before you buy it. Otherwise, I've had much better luck with Marlins than Winchesters, you might want to just order one. If you have a revolver in .357 Magnum, .44 magnum or .45 Colt, I'd recommend getting the levergun in the same caliber, they make a nice home defense pair.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Mustafa Jones said:
Ain't thsis the get all I was wanting a lever thinking about a rifle incase some cracked up brother go nuts in the neighbor hood or sumthin

was even lookin at Winchester but now don't know not many here sell Marlin in the pistol rounds cause they say at one time Marlin be no good

wanted somethin without lookin like some damn fool punk banger
Mustafa, you have to work on the vocabulary. It's never neighbor hood, just "the 'hood." And it's cracked OUT bro not, cracked up. Sheesh, some peoples kids.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts