Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
primers, Civil War era. Morris, or something like that. GCA'68 says that "non-cartridge" firearms are EXEMPT from Federal law. As long as the primer, projectile and powder are not in one unit, then it's not a firearm subject to the Gun Control Act. :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
The First Model Maynard carbine used a tape feed primer and at least one model of Sharps incorporated it. The Second Model Maynard dispensed with the tape feed, in part to simply production. Some sources indicate that the tape primer was less reliable than percussion caps since the tape could jam. I suspect it was also more vulnerable to moisture.

It would be interesting to see how a tape prime made with modern materials would perform. Second Model Maynards have been reproduced but I am not familiar with any reproduction rifles or carbines that incorporate the Maynard tape prime. As an aside, reproduction Smith carbines are being produced and their rate of fire should easily rival that of the Second Model Maynard.

·
Registered
611 Posts
By the way, the beauty of the Smith carbine is that it uses a brass cartridge that contains the powder and bullet. A separate, conventional percussion cap is used for ignition.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sutler's AFRAID to post the price on the smith carbine? That aint good. Thanks, tho. Looks like it'll be awhile before I can afford to really study one, but other things have to happen before then, anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts