Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A promising area of soft body armor involves armor built around non-Newtonian, shear thickening fluids. Newtonian fluids, such as air, have a strain rate that is proportional to the velocity gradient, as viewed perpendicular to the plane of shear, blah, blah, blah.

The faster that you try to displace a shear thickening fluid, the more viscous it becomes. A person wearing a shear thickening fluid, soft body armor would walk and bend at a rate much slower than the bending that would result from a bullet impact. To the wearer, the shear thickening fluid, soft body armor would feel like a normal soft body armor vest. But, when a bullet impacted the shear thickening fluid armor, it would feel very rigid to the bullet.

The classic example of a shear thickening fluid is the childrens' toy, Silly Putty. Conversely, ketchup is a shear thinning fluid. Once ketchup starts to move, it moves more readily...usually onto your shirt.

You can play with this at home by either going to Wally World and buying some Silly Putty, or you can mix a little corn starch and water in a bowl. If you go the Silly Putty route, mash it in your fingers a few times, fun huh? Now, roll it into a ball, place it on a firm surface, and smack it with a hammer. See the difference? Pour a handful of corn starch and a teaspoon of water together in the bowl and stir. Notice that the mix is harder to stir when you try to stir it faster. Tee-dah! Congratulations, you have just made a shear thickening, non-Newtonian fluid.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Seems to me that when I dream I am running through mud, it has this particular characteristic. The faster I try to run, the harder it is to do it. :)

I guess it is a good thing that water doesn't have this shear thickening, non-Newtonian property. Would make diving off of the high dive into it problematic, I would think.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
How thin can the armor be made and still function? Could we make the outer covering leather, and have the armor sort of conform our shapes? That way we could wear all leather and look cool in our expensive Matrix coats and really stop bullets at the same time! :dgrin:

Sorry, haven't gotten much sleep. . .

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
and when i dream

i'm flying threw the air like superman[only nude, WHAT'S wrong with me!]

the dream is frightingly realistic at first, them gets to be pretty cool, as i can manuver in flight[the naked part bothers me though]

[deleted] thanks.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
brass hammer said:
i'm flying threw the air like superman[only nude, WHAT'S wrong with me!]

[deleted] thanks.

Nothing. You just took a bath and you're wanting to air dry rather than drip dry.

RIKA :D

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Hell, I've been flying through the air naked before (skydiving), but you can only go so fast as a man, things start flopping around too hard. Women have it easier, their equipment adapts a fairly stable position and stays there.

No, I'm not kidding.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Women are more aerodynamic.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Aslan said:
.....oh never mind. (I should be ashamed.)

:devil:
Well at least I got a grin out of you.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
GBullet said:
... A person wearing a shear thickening fluid, soft body armor would walk and bend at a rate much slower than the bending that would result from a bullet impact. To the wearer, the shear thickening fluid, soft body armor would feel like a normal soft body armor vest. But, when a bullet impacted the shear thickening fluid armor, it would feel very rigid to the bullet. ...
Could you extrapolate? Let's say the wearer of the thickening-fluid armor fails, but the wearer also had a second layer - an internal layer, say, of the ethanol-based fluid of the type you and I usually ingest when we get together. Would such a second layer be of any protective effect if the outer layer failed? If not, it's companion anesthetic effect would have to do, I suppose.

Oh, and would varying the volume of ethanol-based fluid pumped in change your response? I ask because my personal research has shown a marked increase in the "thickening" effect of the ethanol-based fluid as volume is either increased or maintained at a consistently high ingestion rate over time.

Seed beds are prepared, shooting houses de-wasped, and lanes cut. Seed and fertilizer are going in tomorrow afternoon. Warm up your plane.

Raider said:
Women are more aerodynamic.

Oh, I don't know about that. Back when I was practicing law, lots of folks wanted to use me for skeet.

:fullauto: :roflmao1:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BigJon said:
Seed beds are prepared, shooting houses de-wasped, and lanes cut. Seed and fertilizer are going in tomorrow afternoon. Warm up your plane.
Engine number one is running and engine number two is coming up to speed!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
GBullet said:
Engine number one is running and engine number two is coming up to speed!
Thanks for the warning. I'll get my knife and manure bags ready.

Sorry folks. Inside joke. :D

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Tequila - the trick is finding that magic spot between superman and out cold....

:devil:

·
Registered
139 Posts
one tequila - two tequila - three tequila - FLOOR

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
auhh! TEQUILA!!! the cactus 'squezzin's of the blue agave[century plant]

although, you can get HIGH/DRUNK from the unrefined JUICE/DRIPPINGS,[from the 'heart' of the plant]
you wont be worth MUCH/LONG OF 'TOOTH'.

but with a copper still/patience/sugar[some] the party's on!

i stirred a pot or few of sour mash [as a kid] with an old ex-hobo truck farmer[he was cool, in my view]

and as i grew older, i always had a sharpe machete/marine issue seabag
for the'CASH CROP' fall harvest[side work/freelance]
glad i've left it all behind!
thanks.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GBullet said:
To the wearer, the shear thickening fluid, soft body armor would feel like a normal soft body armor vest. But, when a bullet impacted the shear thickening fluid armor, it would feel very rigid to the bullet.
Does this concept make anyone else recall the line in Dune, "The slow blade penetrates the shield!"?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Hell, regular soft body armor made me think of that line :D

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
no it doesn't. The slow blade will encounter a shield that's been set at an angle to defect the blade entirely. Move FAST enough, and the shield wont be in the way at ALL.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts