Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit to not being a practioner of any defined martial art. I do have bits and pieces of a few different arts and they have served me well over the years.I must confess I do have some chipped teeth and scars on my face from not being the better of the two men. Thinking about it I have not been hit in the face for about 10 years now and that is a good thing trust me on that one. I have my own style of defense that works for me and thank god I never have to use it very often. I don't claim to be a tough guy but I can save myself with in reason if I have to.

I would ask the members here what styles they take and why they take them and if they have found somthing that works for them outside of true arts.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I personally have taken:

Judo
Wing Chun
KunTao Silat
Jiu Jitsu
and a few others, including Shorin Ryu

My art of choice, is KunTao Silat. More specifically, the Lieu family system.

:devil:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting

Can you expand more on that Aslan? It would be an excellent read. Plus I am curious I have never heard of it before, we have less varation up here in the cold place I call home.
Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
I studied Judo for 12yrs, Tae Kwon Do for 6mo. (too harsh to be used outside the Dojo)Nippon Kempo Bhudakukhan(Please forgive spelling), and rounded it of with Jee Kon Do. None of these styles make me invincible, invisible, or even mildly amusing, but they grounded me with a firm sense of discipline, self worth, and self confidence that has served me well over the last 39yrs. I firmly believe that a good curriculim of martial arts would benefit the US Public School system, and society in general as the end product would possibly be more focused, and in better mental health than if they allowed basketbrawl, baseball or football to be the only form of excersise allowed most of the year.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Took some Karate as a kid for about 6 months.

Took Aikido on and off for a couple years under two different orgs and one independent sensei. (http://www.kenshinkandojo.com/ when the Sensei and his brother opened the place years ago)

Took about 6 months of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Marcelo Periera (http://www.armbar.net/) when he was a brown belt.

Learned some boxing from a former Golden Gloves guy from Chicago (mother's ex)

Got some muay thai tips from an aquainence.

IMO it's all about mixing martial arts up and using what fits your body and philosophy. Having a well rounded arsenal... much like Lee taught with his JKD system.

Would LOVE to get into some weapons stuff as taught in Ray Floro's system http://florofighting.com/

just waiting for a place to open up near me... :D

cheers

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Do a search on William Reeders, Grand Master Arthur Sykes, Master Joe Salomone (My teacher), and the Lieu family.

William Reeders was a dutch prince that married into the Lieu family. He was taught the family's Kung Fu. (It's a royal system) He taught it to Grand Master Arthur Sykes, whom I have had the good fortune to work out with on more than one occassion. Grand Master Sykes was Master Salomone's instructor.

It is an Indonesian style, incorporating Southern KungFu with Pau'qua, Kali, Escrima, and Arnis. Most of the movements take place on 45 degree angles to your opponent.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
When I was a kid,I was a little street hockey thug until I was old enough for local boxing gyms.My cousins were into Japanese Karate(Shotokan&Ueche Ryu).ovewr the years,I studued a bit of Korean forms,(TKD/Hapkido)/some Shotokan. Some Kodokan Judo(I had a PE requirement at U Mass-Lowell).some Muy Thai.
Alot of my martial arts stuff was folded in as partof H2H back in my GI days,some mixing of useful techniques was there.
Once a week,myself and a few of my old Korean friends(and a few others) get together on Wednesday morningsfor a work out.Besides the conditioning(strength,endurance)everyone brings something to the table,so to speak.Some of us were boxers,others MMA.All of us have different levels of fighting /training experience.In general,iuts a workout,sometimes sparring is invilved,but in general its mostly fun.Hey,we all need a way to kill off the morning aggression( I work nights).
On occasion,some practical knife workcomes up.Interestingly enough ,its usually folded into the boxing workout days.
Other days,someone in the gym yells out fight club;evryone has to follow his/her lead.Everonse has to keep up.BTW,whoever doesn't has to buy the coffe,or the lunch.and if the "caller"punks out,he/she buys our lunch AND our coffee the rest of the week. :dgrin:

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
A little Tae Kwan Doe when in my early 20's, but most of the teachers (and students) I came across were jerks. Don't know if tkd's "hard-style" approach made them that way, or if it just attracted those who already were, but it was a huge percentage.

Switched to Kung Fu for a couple years, combination of Northern and Southern styles, and really liked it. The teacher was great, an older man with a small den in Houston who didn't care a bit about being seen as a tough guy. (He just was, but you wouldn't know it to look at him.) Fifth level black sash, near sixty years old and still a helicopter pilot when I knew him. Six inches & probably 50 pounds smaller than me & used to kick my butt regularly.

The thing that made him so great in my mind is that while he could (and often did) easily whomp the foo out of someone my size, he was a genuinely "nice" guy. That was something I never ran across in tkd; everyone there seemed to want to be "known" as tough, as much as (or even more) than they wanted to actually be tough. In looking at the truly great ones like Lee, the Gracie family, etc, they generally don't try to project the "I'm a badass" image. No doubt they know they ARE, they just don't bother trying to project that image.

Anyway, that's been over 20 years ago now, and while I 'remember' a lot of it, I don't kid myself that it's the same as 'practicing' it. Now my big thing is wrist & forearm strength for the occasional grapple-fest with a drunk or wife-beater. Combined with the general physical work I do remodelling a couple houses, and an elliptical walker for aerobic/cardiac, that's about it for my 'regimen' anymore.

Still figure to get a Bowflex, once the sunroom floor is finished. I used a weight machine (for the first time in years) at a hotel a couple months ago, and I'd forgotten how good a morning weight workout feels afterwards. Love those endorphins... :)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Okinawa Te and Weeping Willow style Ju Jitsu.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
John,you are right about the large number of @-holes in '"sport" TKD. But there ARE peole out there who incorporate both "traditional"(strict emphasis on discipline on the training floor),and the"practical"(the willingness to borrow or merge from disciplines other than their own,if useful things can be had).my own friends are not as hardcore on the "discipine"in the sense of corporal punishment/abuse etc.,but they DO kepp it "all business"once we've started working out.Goof before or after,but stay focused,and do NOT distract others from their training,even if all they are doing is strength or endurance work.
A 78 year old Korean I am privileged to hace as both a friend and training partener is a good example.ROK Army background,he coached both boxing and Korean martial arts.He still picks up raining jobs(travel required) for pro boxers.HE is all business;he'll BS when not working,but like me,he STRONGLY dissaproves of distracting influence or interfering behavior.That said,he is a fun sort to have teaching/training with a real sense of humor.If you can't laugh when appropriate,its just not worth it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I believe in kidding and laughing a bit, but not bsing or horseplay. It's serious stuff, for serious people. For instance, I had to laugh one time, when I was stripping off my 1911 for practice in Korea, (right before I had to go on duty with the dog, guarding the nukes) Moon asked me:"That one is .45?" I said:'Yes, Sir". He replied: "That one's a-danger". All of us GI's cracked-up and Moon joined in.

One of the guys once asked Moon what he could do against a gun. He stood just out of kicking-distance of the guy, and said:"Not possible". He got inside kicking distance, and said:"Possible". He moved in to punching distance, GLOWERED at the guy, pointed his finger at him, and said:"Davis? Not possible". :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Gunkid not possible. About right.

·
Registered
657 Posts
andy said:
I believe in kidding and laughing a bit, but not bsing or horseplay. It's serious stuff, for serious people. For instance, I had to laugh one time, when I was stripping off my 1911 for practice in Korea, (right before I had to go on duty with the dog, guarding the nukes) Moon asked me:"That one is .45?" I said:'Yes, Sir". He replied: "That one's a-danger". All of us GI's cracked-up and Moon joined in.

One of the guys once asked Moon what he could do against a gun. He stood just out of kicking-distance of the guy, and said:"Not possible". He got inside kicking distance, and said:"Possible". He moved in to punching distance, GLOWERED at the guy, pointed his finger at him, and said:"Davis? Not possible". :)
Me say Davis full of shit.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I firmly beleive that GK is probably a yellow belt or the equivalent.

My take on this:

He couldn't handle the structure of the classes, nor the fact that there were so many students in the class that were better than him. Once he got some of the basics down, he simply declared himself to be a black belt - after all he knew more than any of those lame POS Stupes. That is why a lot of his postings are around the level they are when it comes to techniques.

I could be wrong, but given the fact that the Moo Duk Kwan folks have no records of a John Melvin Davis obtaining any rank, I'm reasonably sure I am correct.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Man,that is such a downer.I hold no current formal certication or rank;I mainly get together with others and do the whole "give&take" teach/learn deal.On Wednesday mornings,our little circle has about 80% of the crew bringing something to the table;drwn from training,experience,hard knocks,etc.Some of us are"has beens,use to be's",and some are "still rolling".The point is we all have different backgrounds&approaches;yet we all have one or more things in common.
This is becomming one more of those"laugh at him,rank on him,or pity him"kind of posting revelations.
Andy;I'll say it again;drop the bitter musings and work on what you CAN do;if you try&fix the physical hassle,or work wround the limitations,maybe other things will improve.If nothing else the angry,insulting or provocative type posts we all knowand love from you might change towards some respectable efforts&results.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I have no misconceptions that a rank means anything beyond you've had formal training. There are plenty of capable people out there who have never stepped one foot into a dojo or formal school. Unlike some, I won't underestimate these people.

I do, however, take exception with posers claiming to be something they are not. Especially when they make outrageous claims, like their kicks are unstoppable, or give TIMINGS for their punches.

I stand ready to learn from anyone, be they a master, a sage, or just some guy off the street. (I learned a long time ago, there's always someone faster, stronger, bigger, more skilled than me.)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
PAT and SCARECROW said:

H Pat.

Another post that is too literate, for the TARD to have written. Do they think we are as dumb, as they are?

·
Registered
378 Posts
IIRC they didnt have "Nukes" in ROK, but I may be wrong. I do know that no-one, I repeat myself, NO-ONE wandered around with a .45 before going on duty in garrison, and in the field You wouldn't have been able to escape for a quickie at the gym. I was there 1993-1994, and had a pretty good time, except when Kim Il-Song died then we were a bit more nervous.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Half elf said:
IIRC they didnt have "Nukes" in ROK, but I may be wrong. I do know that no-one, I repeat myself, NO-ONE wandered around with a .45 before going on duty in garrison, and in the field You wouldn't have been able to escape for a quickie at the gym. I was there 1993-1994, and had a pretty good time, except when Kim Il-Song died then we were a bit more nervous.
You're right, there were no nukes in South Korea ... I was there too. So it looks like the TARD is proven to be FOS again.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Forgive me for sticking up for the tard...but he MAAAAAAAAAAAAY be correct. I'm pretty sure that at one time they had Nike/Hercules (forerunner to the Patriot) in Korea during the 70's - 80's, and it was possible for that system to be armed with a nuclear warhead. I do not know if they WERE or NOT, but if they were, that info should still be classified.
So, is he FOS? Probably, but even if he isn't, he's still dumb as shit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts