Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
meat. Elk eat grass, deer eat mostly browze, meaning twig tips, etc. An elk can be 400 lbs of meat, worth about $6 a lb, so it's a much more serious item for hunters. It's not worth the out of state license and travel expenses, on top of a guided hunt and the cost of prepping the meat,but it's worth a local boy's looking around a bit, pre season, and being where he should be, on opening day. :) Such being the case, a $100 worth of scoped Nagant will suffice, 90+% of the time.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
earth to agent "whacker"

there is NO comparison !!!!!! :dunce:

as to the taste, dude , you really are a armchair!



thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,648 Posts
I happen to like both, but we tend to use deer for sausage and ground meat.

Elk we do lots of different things to. The backstrap cut into steaks and grilled is wonderful.

The roasts are excellent, and we still tend to get a lot of ground and sausage out of the elk too.

Last year's cow elk was a head shot, so there was not any meat lost.

This year I have a bull tag, and it is my son's first draw of a bull tag. So I will bird dog for him until he gets his, and then I'll start hunting for me.

Last year's hunt was cut short due to a fatality down the road from our camp. I ended up as first responder, but the guy was dead when I got there - the rest of the day was waiting for DPS, search and rescue, and the coroner. (long story, basically a drunk-driving [4 wheeling] accident, involving kids flipping a jeep end over end and the driver was ejected)

This year should be better.

:devil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Being a dedicated Carnivorian I'm not that picky so long as it's meat, isn't human, and didn't crawl out of a sewer or a grave.

Besides, don't like the taste of the meat? There's always tobasco sauce. :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
Hey You Two 'zonies'

ASLAN,MrOSTOV

p.m, me, while i have the time.

you two make it down to 'T' town, i'll WARRENTY GRILLED T BONES AND DRINKS. [you guys, have gotta see these 'digs']



but then again,don't break your neck[i know i wouldn't] HA!HA!HA!


thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,279 Posts
"Besides, don't like the taste of the meat? There's always tobasco sauce. :)

AMEN! And Cajun hot sauce too.

RIKA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,890 Posts
I think a lot of people's problem with venison is that they "heard somebody that knows somebody whose uncle ate some once and didn't like it" and pass this on as first-hand sage advice (speaking of sage. . .). The other possibility is they just don't know how to prepare it.

Which is just fine, more for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
223 fan said:
meat. Elk eat grass, deer eat mostly browze, meaning twig tips, etc. An elk can be 400 lbs of meat, worth about $6 a lb, so it's a much more serious item for hunters. It's not worth the out of state license and travel expenses, on top of a guided hunt and the cost of prepping the meat,but it's worth a local boy's looking around a bit, pre season, and being where he should be, on opening day. :) Such being the case, a $100 worth of scoped Nagant will suffice, 90+% of the time.
...and axis beats it all. People that like elk or moose the best just haven't tried axis yet. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
mrostov said:
Being a dedicated Carnivorian I'm not that picky so long as it's meat, isn't human, and didn't crawl out of a sewer or a grave.
Dang, I wish my grandparents would have let me be THAT picky while growing up at the camp.
KJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
Aslan said:
I happen to like both, but we tend to use deer for sausage and ground meat.
Personally, I've found that everything in sausage tastes almost exactly the same (except for alligator for some reason that makes NO sense!), so I refuse to waste good game on it. The tough parts are great for the ground meat (like you said) or a good vegetable soup or stew if good slowly to tenderize it and bring out all of the flavor possible in the meal. (Hold one while I take a pause to get some axis and wild goat out - this talking as got me hungry enough to make a good stew. I'll save the soup for alligator another day!)

Man, I'm hungry now. Time to start the roux.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
O.k.

the jigg is up! I HAVE TRIED to live with out a woman/squaw, for about 6 years of my adult life,[my cookin' suffers something terrible] if it was not for pistol shot deer and field corn, i would have starved. [this is fact]



in this stage of life,now, i'm 'almost' indepentently wealthly,[[email protected]$43per barl.]
[ it BEATS THE HELL OUTTA' $11PER BARL.]


[please, reread the part about almost, :crying:

thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
most deer are tough, PERIOD. Sausage and chili meat, mostly. It'snot the taste,it's the GRISTLE in it that makesit a PITA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,279 Posts
Obviously you don't know how to butcher a deer, tenderfoot.

RIKA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,890 Posts
Another reason a lot of people don't like wild game is that they are so used to supermarket food, which has almost no flavor at all. Eat nothing but wild game for a month, then try a supermarket steak, you'll probably spit out the first bite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
223 fan said:
most deer are tough, PERIOD. Sausage and chili meat, mostly. It'snot the taste,it's the GRISTLE in it that makesit a PITA.
That must be one of those pet dogs you shot. Doesn't sound like real deer to me.... or are you just THAT bad of a cook?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Magnum88C

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
Magnum88C said:
Anotehr reason a lot of people don't like wild game is that they are so used to supermarket food, which has almost no flavor at all. Eat nothing but wild game for a month, then try a supermarket steak, you'll probably spit out the first bite.
Haahaa. Good point. My wife now never had much wild game growing up, but she got some quick back when we started dating in junior high. She found out how much better wild pork is than that store bought stuff. She has eaten a lot more wild pork since then and just about "hates" to eat store bought stuff. When I slip up and use some, she always complains that something doesn't taste right. When I tell her it is store bought, she's like "Oh, Ok. That must be it. Why'd you cook that?"

KJ
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top