Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

What kind of gun lubrication do you prefer?

• Synthetic oil no special properties other than it lubricates (not specific to guns)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Natural mineral based oil no special properties other than it lubricates (not specifically for guns)

• Natural plant based oil no special properties other than it lubricates (not specifically for guns)

• Plain Old Commercial Gun Oil no additives or special properties other than it lubricates

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Commercial Gun Oil with additives like Teflon or silicone to help lubricate

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Multi-purpose Products - Cleans, lubes, prevents rust, regardless of solvent use

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Multi-purpose Gun Products - Cleans, lubes, prevents rust regardless solvent use

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Surplus Military Gun Oil (any type, from any nation)

• Grease of Any Type

• Oil of Olay, for that perfect complexion...

• Bear fat, goose grease, or other animal products - waste not want not

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I go with another question about favorites. Which type of lubricant do you prefer for your firearms?

I like to use Break Free CLP (?cleans, lubricates, protects?). It is one of the best rust preventatives out there as I understand from an article in Gun Tests Magazine. I have also used: WD40 (not for years now), 8 in 1 Oil, Singer Sewing machine oil, Rem Oil, military oil, some other oils of pretty unknown brands, Hoppes oil and so forth.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I also use break free.
Doesn't smell as good as the 3-in-1 oil I used to use, but it works great.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I use CLP also although I also use Lubriplate on the M1 and M1A for heavy protection.

RIKA

·
Registered
779 Posts
I use Breakfree or the GI equivalents for lubrication and average cleaning. I also use grease for specific applcations like Rika mentioned.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
for the actions, i've been using powdered grafhite[s.p.?]for quite a while now!

with 3in1/zoom spout oil for rust protection.

with a little axle grease on that 'machine gun looking' bolt of the cetme/g-3

.308[they need it]

needless to say, my weapons will fail the white glove inspection on purpose!

i think it's the way to go in a dry dusty/sand enviorment[powdered grafhite]

[ deleted] thanks.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Right now I use Militec, but as soon as we render down Michael Moore, I'll put some of his grease to good use.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
mrostov said:
Right now I use Militec, but as soon as we render down Michael Moore, I'll put some of his grease to good use.
I wouldn't insult my guns by lubing them with that diseased lard.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
LockEase dry graphite on the carry guns, WD40 on the practice guns. Since the latter get shot (and a fresh squirt of oil before each range session) the fact that WD runs off and dries out is no issue.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I've always used either Hoppes or Remoil for most of my shooting. Used to use lighter fluid when the temp dropped, but switched to dry graphite for my hunting guns in the winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts