Arms Locker banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I was firing one of my M-1's and I had a failure to feed. The bolt went into battery without picking up a round. Then a little later, with a clip from the same bandoleer, it happened again. Neither one of my Garands has ever mis-fired for any reason. The ammunition was Greek ball from CMP. Inspecting the clips, they seemed rough on the inside to me, kind of like very fine sandpaper. Also, I use grease on the follower, not oil, following the advice on the Garand of "If it slides grease it, if it rolls, oil it." Maybe not true with the follower? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
I haven't used my Greek .30-06, past 1 clip to check the difference in POI from my FMJ & Tracer reloads. I didn't notice a problem. Keep in mind that I got burn't by Gun Parts last year on 10 "new" clips. Not one of them would work in my rifle, they were completely unmarked. I picked up another 10 at a gunshow in April that I haven't tried yet. I have decided I won't take a clip into a match unless I have used it in practice first.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Terry, have you tried different clips? I doubt that light grease would cause a problem.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried two clips from the same bandoleer after that with no problem. I think it was the clips. Some rust on them and they felt, well, scrathcy inside and out. I have a bunch of loose clips I cleaned, then oiled, then wiped off. I'm going to try them with some loose boxed rounds I have. The gas systems clean. Probably just a fluke, but a properly set up M-1 just does NOT malfunction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts