Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my Model 1873 Springfield tra-door rifle in 45-70. Notice the markings on top of the stock , "G 31 STEUBEN GUARD " I havn't been able to find any information on the " Steuben Gaurd" to date.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
During the year 1873, the Board of Officers appointed in pursuance of the "Act of Congress, - approved June 6, 1872 - for the purpose of selecting a breech system for the military service of the United States," reported in favor of the "Springfield" system.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
Gunners, is that a picture of you when you were younger?? It is an excellent rifle, I had an opportunity to shoot one last year at a Long Range Buffalo Gun match (which I just happened to win).

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just did a quick search: Steuben Guard was the 7th New York State Volunteer Infantry mustered during the Civil War. Sounds to me like you found yourself a Trapdoor that belonged to G Company 7th Regiment, New York State Militia. Here is a website with a little info:

http://www.oryansroughnecks.org/history.html

Good luck finding more info...
I thank you kindly for the info Sir.Can't understand why I couldn't find that site?? interesting site. Thanks for taking the time to research. That gives my rifle a history...:)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gunners, is that a picture of you when you were younger?? It is an excellent rifle, I had an opportunity to shoot one last year at a Long Range Buffalo Gun match (which I just happened to win).
You wouldn't think i was a day over 100 would you?? Anyway, this rifle is a good one hundred-twenty od some years old and can still reach out and touch someone. I put about a 100 rounds a year through it and another 1873 i own.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The following is a correct list of the officers of this regiments:—
Colonel, J. R Bendix; Lieutenant Colonel, Ed. Hapff; Major, Casp. Keller; Adjutant, Louis Schaffner; Quartermaster, Wermers Kirch.
Company A—Captain, F. A. Herman Gaebel; Lieutenant, Edward H. Becker; Ensign, Fred. Wm. Thibaut.
Company B—Captain, Herman Baecht; Lieutenant, Charles Karbaum; Ensign, Hugo Rothe.
Company C—Captain, Charles Brestel; Lieutenant, Victor Braxmarer; Ensign, Charles Heusler.
Company D—Captain, Emil Pfeiffer; Lieutenant, Anton Herman; Ensign, William Krayer.
Company E--Captain, Rudolph Anselm; Lieutenant. Oscar Heringen; Ensign, Frederick Mosebach.
Company F—Captain, Louis H. Hookheim; Lieutenant, Gustav Adolph Bransen; Ensign, Hermann Hohenhausen.
Company G—Captain, Sixt. Louis Kapff; Lieutenant, William Deets; Ensign, Fred. Wm. Schmidt.
Company H—Captain, Jacob Schoenleber; Lieutenant, August Feilen; Ensign, T. G. Glaubensklee.
Company I—Captain, Charles Bethon; Lieutenant, Theodore Schaedle; Ensign, Joseph Allan.
Company K—Captain, Edward Wratislaw; Lieutenant, Louis Wiederholt; Ensign, Julius De Boesehe.
THE SEVENTH REGIMENT (STEUBEN) NEW YORK VOLUNTEERS.
Field Officers.
Colonel, John E. Bendix; Lieutenant Colonel, Edward Kapff; Major, Caspar Keller.
Staff Officers.
Adjutant, Louis Schaffner; Quartermaster, William M. Wermers Kirch; Paymaster, John Mahlich; Surgeon, Dr. A. M. F. Isenlord; Chaplain, Rev. C. Foertch; Assistant Surgeon, Gottlieb Jacekly; Sergeant Major, Emil Bodeker; Quartermaster's Sergeant, Chas. A. Schaefer.
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...m+Steuben+Guard+G+31&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

1 - 7 of 7 Posts