Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

Magnet Fishing On A Military Base

292 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BigEd 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This type of stupidity is common in the world unfortunately. During the early '80's the Canadian Government allowed ranchers to graze cattle in some Base training areas around Canada that had been set aside for future reclamation. This included putting in windmills to fill watering containers. One morning we got a call from one of these PFRA ranches that there were some shells scattered around the watering point. My boss sent me out with a demo kit to get rid of them. When I got to the area, I searched and found nothing, then I went to the water pump which had a fence around it to prevent cattle from damaging the equipment where I found about 18 neatly stacked 2" mortar bombs that were fired sometime between the '40's and '60's. Since I obviously couldn't blow them in situ because of collateral damage and I needed a hook and line kit, as I was not stupid enough to pick them up I headed back to the base.

On the way a rancher stopped me and asked if the ordnance had been moved. I asked him if he knew the person that was stupid enough to move possible live explosive ordnance? His response was that he didn't want to have his cattle get hurt.

• Wow
Reactions: BigEd
#3 ·
Yeah, really. I just have little patience for real world stupidity.
I don't know if you looked at the comments section of that YouTube video.
But it's either children or grown up children. I remember being told by a fellow church member at the time who was a surveyor. IIRC, the company he worked for under contract did large natural gas pipe lines. They were surveying through part of some base, they were told not to touch anything unusual just report it.
Well the guy he was working with said "Hey look what I found!" While walking up to him toting a old rotting wooden case of live grenades.🙄

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.