Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
22 mag rifle, with a good hp, BARELY suffices to stop chucks and *****, inside 50m or so. 1000 fps is at that RAGGED bottom edge of whether a .36 bore jhp will expand or not. I"ve seen many that didn't (in flesh and blood, not silly assed jello blocks)

Remember, expansion is NOT power. It's a way to better USE what power you have, and low velocity rds OFTEN fail to expand. 9mm Nato spec ball hits HARDER than Makarov jhp';s, because it's got almost 400 ft lbs of power and it transfers about 2/3rds of that power to a man's chest. There's no reason to settle for a puny assed makarove rd, especially in a gun that's bigger and heavier than some variants of the 1911 .45.

You are very foolish to expect a Makarov, using jhp's, to do a damned thing that Stingers in a .22 rifle can't do.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
OK...who actually was going to use a Makarov as a decdicated small game getter&nuisance varminter?Yes ,we know that energy figures as determined by velocity critical formulae are not always the sole indicator of effectiveness-case in point,the "heavy bullet,big bore slow-middle velocityvs.smal-middlebore,light-middle weight-max velocity(and pressure).That said,who the (bleep)is going to have their health improved b y getting in front of either?The **** won't be feeling chipper after absorbing a round or three of 95-1089 grain JHP's within thier usage envelope.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
9x18 makes a much bigger hole than a Stinger does.
"Engergy" is NOT the determiner of a round's effectiveness, it's one of MANY variables. You have to look at the whole package, not just factory paper ballistics.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
POSCAR with the pitful 11" or 10" barrel makes the gun less effecive than the Mak. Energy is one thing, bullet shape, diameter, construction and PLACEMENT are more important than paper 'energy'.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
You are very foolish to expect a Makarov, using jhp's, to do a damned thing that Stingers in a .22 rifle can't do.
Foolish, fantasy statements like this - comparing apples to oranges - show that you are really lacking in real world experience, even if you were at some pistol tournament 30 years ago.

BTW, most of us with Mak's carry the 115gr load in our weapons. You seem to keep ignoring that.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Comparing a rifle to a pistol is really out there. A howitzer has better energy transfer than a .22 rifle, but I wouldn't want to have to pack one around. You seem to ignore that a Mak is a close up, last resort type of weapon.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Actually a Makarov and a Ruger 10/22 with a nice scope on it, plus a couple of extra mags for each, would make quite a good little affordable combo for personal defense and living off of the land.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
mrostov said:
Actually a Makarov and a Ruger 10/22 with a nice scope on it, plus a couple of extra mags for each, would make quite a good little affordable combo for personal defense and living off of the land.
That would be quite a good setup if the owner can shoot. Mak ammo is dirt cheep for practice. Makes the 9mm look expensive. And the 10/22, with 10 to 30 round mags and a good scope can be a very dangerious weapon. All it takes is someone with a cool head, sharp eye, and steady hand.

Someone who does not fall appart in big matches.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I'd rather the Mak and a good SKS, even if you had to take some time to put on the PIA (but cheap) scope mounts. 7.62x39 is also dirt cheap and just does things a .22 can't.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
mrostov said:
This is a good post, I hadn't thought of that combination before, although I own it. I have a very accurate synthetic stock 10/22 with an inexpensive, (not cheap) Bushnell 3/9 'scope and a few Makarov's. Not a bad combination at all. Small game for sure larger game if your very good, and a good self defense gun to make you sleep better. Whole package for about $400.00.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Once I figured out how to improve the mag release with a split ring, I have come to like this little handgun. I am having trouble finding anything except the 92 grain FMJ bullets though.

Its utterly reliable and very accurate. Lots easier to take down compared to my .45.
I am thinking about using this instead of my .45 in my BOB.

Can anyone recommend a good self defense round for it?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I didn't like the Pierce grips. I like the more slender bakelite. My pistol is East German, one of the Stasi Maks, but the grip is the brown Chinese bakelite with the thumb rest and lanyard loop. I have some USGI M1911 lanyards that I occasionally I use with it.

I am in agreement with Rutstrom and the other old time woodsmen in the preference and utility of having a lanyard loop.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Mike, what do you attach your lanyard to? Your belt maybe. BTW, I like the plain old red star grips on mine. What kind of holster do you use? Field and CCW?

RIKA

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The USGI lanyard loops over your neck and under your right arm (provided that you shoot right handed). It comes in really usefull in situations like in a marine environment. It helps prevent Davy Jones from adding your pistol to his collection.

·
Registered
657 Posts
mrostov said:
I didn't like the Pierce grips. I like the more slender bakelite. My pistol is East German, one of the Stasi Maks, but the grip is the brown Chinese bakelite with the thumb rest and lanyard loop. I have some USGI M1911 lanyards that I occasionally I use with it.

I am in agreement with Rutstrom and the other old time woodsmen in the preference and utility of having a lanyard loop.
I must admit that I like the east german (simson-suhl) grip as well its a bit slimmer than the pearce, but still fits my hand well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts