Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Interesting how in the original post that GK mentions the .22mag rifle instead of the .22LR when doing a power comparison for the Mak.

In days gone by, there used to be such a critter informally called a 'Florida Gun'. This was a weapon considered a good general purpose carbine for just about everything a swamp rat with decent marksmanship skills in Florida would want to hunt, including alligators.

Basically it was a .22mag rifle cut to carbine length and rigged a lot like Cooper's scout rifle.

Now, if a .22mag is considered worthy for poaching gator, I'll bet a Mak can do some unexpectedly neat stuff in skilled hands if the situation required it. It is a rather accurate little pistol.

Myself, if I were to head out with a rimfire as a longarm for long term survival, I'd probably chose a scoped 10/22mag chambered for .17HMR. The ammo doesn't really weigh anymore than .22LR but it outperforms the .22mag. It can punch a hole in a 'STOP' sign at 175 yards - can't do that with a .22LR.

You can carry a LOT of ammo for such a weapon. About 500 rounds of high quality ammo with Hornady V-Max ballistic tip bullets should weigh in at about 4 pounds.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
If I was going to choose such a weapon, I would most definitely NOT use the varmint bulets. They'll give you very little against a real target. They're hell on squirrels, but won't do much good on medium-big game.
To behonest the "Florida gun" is a poacher's gun. You can feed yourself off of such a weapon, but it's not great for combat. Depends on what you want to do with it.
If you think you might have to exchange unpleasantries with people, you're MUCH better off with a centerfire.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I plan to look for some rubber grips for my son’s Mak at the next local show. It’s a great gun functionally, but has more recoil than I expected. I should have expected it, being a blowback, but don’t shoot blowbacks except for .22’s, so it caught me by surprise. (I’d forgotten how ‘soft’ the Glocks shoot…) I think it may also do with a new recoil spring.

The DA action surprised me the first time I fired it; literally. First shot thru it, it fired with a lot less travel and take-up than I expected. Its DA pull is surprisingly good for a com-bloc military pistol.

We ran a couple hundred rounds of the 115 Silver Bear JHP thru it just yesterday, with only one problem. There were two or three times it failed to chamber the first round from the mag, hanging on the ramp; and it only happened when he cycled the slide by hand. Locking the slide back and then inserting the mag & hitting the slide stop, I don’t believe it ever bobbled.

It also chucks the empties a good 15-20 feet back; don’t know if that’s typical for a Mak, but it’s another reason I believe a new spring may be in order.

All in all, a very respectable pistol. It’s not fancy, but it goes bang when it’s supposed to, and as others have said before me, it absolutely is built like a tank.

·
Registered
779 Posts
It also chucks the empties a good 15-20 feet back; don’t know if that’s typical for a Mak, but it’s another reason I believe a new spring may be in order.
FWIW, mine does the same thing.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
All three of mine do the same. Combloc weapons were known for this. My AK sends them out almost thirty feet to my right. I think it's to discourage flanking attacks.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
22 mag rifle, with a good hp, BARELY suffices to stop chucks and *, inside 50m or so. 1000 fps is at that RAGGED bottom edge of whether a .36 bore jhp will expand or not. I"ve seen many that didn't (in flesh and blood, not silly assed jello blocks)

Remember, expansion is NOT power. It's a way to better USE what power you have, and low velocity rds OFTEN fail to expand. 9mm Nato spec ball hits HARDER than Makarov jhp';s, because it's got almost 400 ft lbs of power and it transfers about 2/3rds of that power to a man's chest. There's no reason to settle for a puny assed makarove rd, especially in a gun that's bigger and heavier than some variants of the 1911 .45.

You are very foolish to expect a Makarov, using jhp's, to do a damned thing that Stingers in a .22 rifle can't do.
You must have absolutely horrible shot placement, but that is obvious because of many things you've posted in other threads. I don't think you know where to aim, or you're such an inaccurate shot you fail to hit the vitals. We've dropped them at 100 yards with a .22 mag - I really like my Marlin 25mn with a synthetic stock. I bedded it because I didn't like the flex around the receiver, and that made all the difference in the world. Barrel is free-floated and the action is nice and tight. I've even used it on coyotes - works great within its envelope with proper shot placement.

Having used, and continuing to use a .22 mag in the real world, my experiences with it don't match yours at all.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
22 mag rifle, with a good hp, BARELY suffices to stop chucks and *, inside 50m or so.
I sold my only .22 magnum rifle a long time ago, so had to look up the numbers on bbti. Even in a shortish 16" barrel, they show a 30-grain HP running 2284 fps and a 40-grainer at 1987 fps. That's 347 and 351 ft/lbs, respectively.

John - do you really maintain that a hollowpoint bullet at mach-2 velocity, with 350 ft/lbs of energy, really "BARELY suffices" for a 8-15 lb animal?

If you do (which is what you said here), how is a gun with one-sixth that power adequate for offensive and defensive use against full-size human adversaries? Because that's what your beloved beretta 21A has. With mini-mags, it puts out a measured 57.4 ft/lbs, and with Stingers it runs 57.8 ft/lbs. So that's a good choice against human adversaries, but six times that power is "barely" enough for a small 15-lb mammal?

They can't both be true. If a supersonic hollowpoint bullet with 350 ft/lbs is "barely" enough for a woodchuck, then a same-diameter, subsonic bullet at 57-58 ft/lbs is NOT anywhere near enough for human attackers; at least unless you expect your human attackers to be the size of a lab rat.

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
I sold my only .22 magnum rifle a long time ago, so had to look up the numbers on bbti. Even in a shortish 16" barrel, they show a 30-grain HP running 2284 fps and a 40-grainer at 1987 fps. That's 347 and 351 ft/lbs, respectively.

John - do you really maintain that a hollowpoint bullet at mach-2 velocity, with 350 ft/lbs of energy, really "BARELY suffices" for a 8-15 lb animal?

If you do (which is what you said here), how is a gun with one-sixth that power adequate for offensive and defensive use against full-size human adversaries? Because that's what your beloved beretta 21A has. With mini-mags, it puts out a measured 57.4 ft/lbs, and with Stingers it runs 57.8 ft/lbs. So that's a good choice against human adversaries, but six times that power is "barely" enough for a small 15-lb mammal?

They can't both be true. If a supersonic hollowpoint bullet with 350 ft/lbs is "barely" enough for a woodchuck, then a same-diameter, subsonic bullet at 57-58 ft/lbs is NOT anywhere near enough for human attackers; at least unless you expect your human attackers to be the size of a lab rat.
You nailed him again, but he will have no response and he will have forgotten about it by tomorrow. I still have these three but shoot the CZ 82's more.
Camouflage Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
You nailed him again, but he will have no response and he will have forgotten about it by tomorrow.
Sad part is, I'd much rather 'wake him up' so to speak than nail him with the almost boringly repetitive pointing out of his continuous inconsistencies. That would be the ideal first goal, but I've pretty much given up hope of it happening. I like Dave Ramsey's metaphor of people who stay in their own self-created messes instead of doing what is obviously better for them - that they're like a baby sitting on the floor in a dirty diaper thinking, "yes, it stinks; but it's warm and it's mine". It's obvious that gunkid is in this camp, evidenced by his constant flip-flops on subjects. Praising the .300blackout/whisper when it wasn't mainstream but calling it a joke now. Or praising the beretta 21A until someone posts measured ballistic info from it, then calling it a feeble joke. Then later, when he finds a new and cool mini-suppressor for rimfires, going back to praising it. Praising the M855 round from the short-barrel ar (when it was new and nifty), then ridiculing it; etc.

The second (and hopefully more productive) goal is to help other people who are newer to the subject see the silliness and avoid the very real dangers of some of the drivel. Someone could very easily get themselves hurt listening to his advice; especially about the loading data he puts out.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
That's why I don't understand anyone, and I'm not picking on the former owner. But him being tolerated here not realizing the liability risk, I know there are First Amendment protections but I find it asinine that I can't properly spell the word "red neck" which I self identify as because the new software here auto censures it
But Melvin never gets a pass promoting reckless practices. The only reason I see is he's being used just like a side show attraction to gain hits here.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts