Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can't take HPs, can't be carried safely chamber loaded (it WILL fire if dropped on the muzzle.) Can't be dryfired as the firing pin is pinned in and thus will BREAK if dry fired much. Gun parts for Star BM are limited. Maks are abundant.

Only a FOOL would pick the Star over a Mak. But we all know who the FOOL is who says the Star is better.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Those who know the MAK are applauding. :beer:

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Raider said:
Those who know the MAK are applauding. :beer:

RIKA
As are those who want one.
Hell, I'd take a CZ 52 over a Star Bowel Movement. At least I'd get a reliable pistol with good penetration.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Actually I have both and have had the chance to buy a star (wasn't a BM). I have no doubt that there are some good star handguns out there, but the company is gone and they have no real advantage over the Mak which is still production in many countries and even if it wasn't there are so many parts for the mak available they will be around for quite some time, their reliability make them worth the price alone.
As for the CZ-52 I've put 3,500 rounds through mine without any work (other than a recoil spring) and have no complaints for a service pistol, its a real zipper of a round as well. I suppose Andy will say its underpowered, but I don't think soo!!!

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
says an ignorant fuck like you. Just with its CALIBER the Star is twice as good as a Mak. If all you want is pointless plinker, get a Buckmark Browning, and save yourself 5 c a shot ,and have TWICE the accuracy and longevityt of a Mak. What you fools WANT to do, tho, is KID yourself about how a pussy 200 ft lbs of energy amounts to a crap. That's what the 38 special had for 100 yrs, and for 100 years, it wasn't worth a crap. With a Plus P Plus corbon 110 gr jhp, and a 4" barrel, it's BARELY worth a crap, cause it's got the same 400 FT LBS that the STAR BM 9mm has.

You don't have a clue what a handgun is FOR. It's about being able to BRUTALLY blow a man's chest open, if you have to. The BK is not the best for that, but it's WAY ahead of a silly little Makarov. The 9mm's got about HALF the power a sidearm ought to have, but it's got twice what a mak can EVER have, and if you load the Star properly, it can have THREE times what the Mak can ever have, in the way of power. Just because YOU are ignornat about what matters doesn't mean that EVERYBODY is as stupid as you are.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
says an ignorant fuck like you. Just with its CALIBER the Star is twice as good as a Mak.
The Mak (.383" barrel) with a 115gr Silver Bear or Brown Bear load is about 80 fps slower than a comparatively sized 9mm with a 115gr non-plus P load.

That's 309 ft/lbs for the 9mm vs 266 ft/lbs for the Makarov. That's only a 16% difference - a long ways from your silly claim of 200%.

Dude, your math skills could use a bit of improvement.

Yeah, there's some pretty potent loads for the 9mm, but they are not recomended for shooting out of the Star BM and the shorter barrels of CCW style weapons tend to eat away the muzzle velocity that those potent loads need to perform as claimed.

andy said:
If all you want is pointless plinker, get a Buckmark Browning, and save yourself 5 c a shot ,and have TWICE the accuracy and longevityt of a Mak.
Again, your total lack of real world experience with the gear in question really shows.

The Mak is a VERY accurate pistol, probably one of the most inherently accurate CCW sized centerfire pistols you can buy right off the shelf, and as for toughness, you could probably hammer a Buckmark to pieces with it and it would definitely flatten a POS HP22.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
andy said:
You don't have a clue what a handgun is FOR. It's about being able to BRUTALLY blow a man's chest open, if you have to.
For many reasons, I really don't believe that you have the balls to do something like that. You all hot air nothing else!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
It's about being able to BRUTALLY blow a man's chest open ...
Keerudd! What a statement! Is there any way to gently blow a man's chest open?

RIKA :D

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Raider said:
Keerudd! What a statement! Is there any way to gently blow a man's chest open?

RIKA :D

Yes, you simply inflate his ego till he explodes. I advise wearing goggles and slime proof protective clothing.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
mrostov said:
Yes, you simply inflate his ego till he explodes. I advise wearing goggles and slime proof protective clothing.
:roflmao1: :laugh01: :laugh: :laugh01: :laugh: :roflmao1: :roflmao1:

You could pick up big bucks writing comedy in your spare time.

:beer:

RIKA

·
Registered
987 Posts
The Mak (.383" barrel) with a 115gr Silver Bear or Brown Bear load is about 80 fps slower than a comparatively sized 9mm with a 115gr non-plus P load.

That's 309 ft/lbs for the 9mm vs 266 ft/lbs for the Makarov. That's only a 16% difference - a long ways from your silly claim of 200%.

Dude, your math skills could use a bit of improvement.

Yeah, there's some pretty potent loads for the 9mm, but they are not recomended for shooting out of the Star BM and the shorter barrels of CCW style weapons tend to eat away the muzzle velocity that those potent loads need to perform as claimed.

Again, your total lack of real world experience with the gear in question really shows.

The Mak is a VERY accurate pistol, probably one of the most inherently accurate CCW sized centerfire pistols you can buy right off the shelf, and as for toughness, you could probably hammer a Buckmark to pieces with it and it would definitely flatten a POS HP22.
Again Maximus Tardious shows his ignorance of both weapons systems in the real world.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
The Makarov's were one of the best deals in the "Golden Age" of Curio & Relic firearms. I think I paid $120 to $150 for a East German, a Russian, and a Bulgarian. I still have all three. Very solid gun's with good accuracy. I have never owned or shot a Star BM, but I did see one launch the entire slide down range when a Friend shot what I remember to be a 9MM +P round. Even so I think Star made good gun's I just can't see wanting one.

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
can't take HPs, can't be carried safely chamber loaded (it WILL fire if dropped on the muzzle.) Can't be dryfired as the firing pin is pinned in and thus will BREAK if dry fired much. Gun parts for Star BM are limited. Maks are abundant.

Only a FOOL would pick the Star over a Mak. But we all know who the FOOL is who says the Star is better.
fuck you . The mak's trigger pull sucks and it has half the power one can load into a 9mm. Nobody practices with plus P and regular 9mm is considerably more powerful than the Makarov for starters. As in 50% more. That 300 fps increase in velocity, if it's used properly, is enough to get reliable expansion with the jhp in flesh and blood, which the mak CANNOT do. The problem is, the dumbfuck ammo makers have stopped offering 90 and 100 gr jhp 9mm.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
fuck you . The mak's trigger pull sucks and it has half the power one can load into a 9mm. Nobody practices with plus P and regular 9mm is considerably more powerful than the Makarov for starters. As in 50% more. That 300 fps increase in velocity, if it's used properly, is enough to get reliable expansion with the jhp in flesh and blood, which the mak CANNOT do. The problem is, the dumbfuck ammo makers have stopped offering 90 and 100 gr jhp 9mm.
Why do you argue so hard for something you don't have? You don't own a Makarov or a Star BM, so how can you personally make a comparison? I like the trigger better on a CZ 75 than on a Glock 17. You know how I know that? I HAVE both guns, that's how I can make a comparison. You have neither so how can you make any kind of judgement call? Your hands on experience with firearms is 35 YEARS out of date. Your an old duffer pretending to play with airsoft. Hey, why don't you post a picture of your airsoft? I for one, would love to see it! You start a post with "Fuck You"? You really are a tired old piece of crap aren't you?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
…What you fools WANT to do, tho, is KID yourself about how a pussy 200 ft lbs of energy amounts to a crap.

…The 9mm's got about HALF the power a sidearm ought to have, but it's got twice what a mak can EVER have…

…if you load the Star properly, it can have THREE times what the Mak can ever have, in the way of power.

…regular 9mm is considerably more powerful than the Makarov for starters. As in 50% more.
Sigh…

I don’t own a Star BM, but using the numbers measured by others at Hipowers and Handguns (who were praising & recommending the Star and so have no reason to lie: A Critical Look at the Star Model BM

Thru the Star, the classic Federal 9BP 115-grain JHP load ran 1111 fps, or 315 ft/lbs. And until fairly recently, the 9BP was ‘the’ load that other standard-pressure 9mm loads tended to be measured against. It’s been around a long time and has been a pretty solid performer.

Also fwiw, I’ve never chrono’ed 9x18 from the full size Mak pistol that my son owns; my numbers are from my substantially smaller pocket-size P64 that's basically the size of a little Walther PPK. And even from the little P64 pocket gun, Silver Bear 115 grain JHP runs 1004 fps, or 257 ft/lbs.

I’ll be the first to admit that that level of energy from a pocket-sized, blowback-operated pocket gun is certainly not fun to shoot. I’m sure the Star is easier to shoot since it’s heavier and recoil-operated. But the point is simply that the 9x18 – even from a little pocket-size gun – was only 9.6% slower than the same-weight JHP 9x19 from the Star BM, and carrying 81.5% of the power of 9x19 from the BM.

As far as your claimed 200 ft/lb limitation on the 9x18, even the lighter 94-grain JHP runs 217 ft/lbs; again, measured from the little P64 pocket gun. Have to remember that with either load, the bigger true ‘Makarov’ pistol’s numbers would be substantially higher than the little P64; so the gap between it and the Star would be narrower still.

So no, the non-plus-P rated Star BM is not “50% more” powerful than even my little pocket P64, and certainly can NOT have “THREE times” the power.

Unless you claim that the Star BM can have over 770 ft/lbs. Is that your claim?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts