Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rarely drink hard liquor though I like brandy, wine and beer. Found a neat website that caters to making your own 'pop-skull' but much better than my great granddaddy's.

Heres a blurb: "Research conducted over the past two years by the Amphora Society has now come up with yet another a startling new concept ... a compound still that has a column no longer than 12 inches!

Quality is not sacrificed. In fact, by careful engineering, quality is actually improved! In just 3 hours, this new still can produce a liter of exceptionally pure, 192 proof spirit. This, when diluted with 1.4 liters of water gives 2.4 liters of 80 proof (40%) pure vodka ... and that at just 575 watts!"

And heres the site: http://www.home-distilling.com/

Its very tempting to be able to make some good home squeezings. Maybe even a good trade item.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
A friend's dad used to make his own down in the basement. My friends room was right next to where the still was kept. His dad used to offer all the guys and most of the galks a shot whenever we came by in the Late Fall and Winter. Best booze I ever drank was his 130-140 proof batches. Wow was it ever so smooth. Cured a cold too, I swear.

He always insisted I had at least two shots, something about my partial German ancestry, I guess. His wife always made me a extra apple strudel when she cooked because she knew my great-grandmother used to make em for me. The dad also had been a German Machine Gunner in WWII. As we younguns enjoyed a shot or two over a poker game, the dad would tell us about WWII and his machine gun - "one sweep of the field and not even a mouse left alive" he would say with an accent and a glimmer in his eye! I think I listened to him more than did the others, so he always offered me at least a second shot, sometimes more.

I never (or maybe very rarely) saw the dad take a shot, just sit there hunched over the still. While I sure never saw him drink much if at all, the booze got to him anyhow. I guess either he drank it when we were not there, or just sniffing fumes over the still did him in. I am not trying to discourage buying a still, just passing on bittersweet memories of a good man whom I admired greatly. Some day I will relate, as well as I can remember, his stories of his being captured three times, and escaping twice during WWII.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Raider said:
I rarely drink hard liquor though I like brandy, wine and beer. Found a neat website that caters to making your own 'pop-skull' but much better than my great granddaddy's.

Heres a blurb: "Research conducted over the past two years by the Amphora Society has now come up with yet another a startling new concept ... a compound still that has a column no longer than 12 inches!

Quality is not sacrificed. In fact, by careful engineering, quality is actually improved! In just 3 hours, this new still can produce a liter of exceptionally pure, 192 proof spirit. This, when diluted with 1.4 liters of water gives 2.4 liters of 80 proof (40%) pure vodka ... and that at just 575 watts!"

And heres the site: http://www.home-distilling.com/

Its very tempting to be able to make some good home squeezings. Maybe even a good trade item.

RIKA

lil' sister! i haven't checked the linkYET!

but i had to say THANK YOU! asap!

i read the first couple of lines and was laughing my ROYAL a$$ OFF!!!

[pop skull, indeed!]

B.T.W. if your ever in 'T' town let me know, as MISS COLLEEN will 'understand'[ somehow]? :rolleyes:

I KNOW WE'LL HAVE FUN!!!!!

THANKS.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Not if the alchohol is for your own consumption. There is a limit on HOW much you can make in a year though. I don't drink but there are other uses for things like whiskey... it's a great antiseptic and it also can be used in the making of certain explosives.

Mike

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
waste of time & perfectly good food items

Might be useful as an antiseptic, I guess, or to power a(suitably modified) motorcycle, if some sort of emergency, long distance travel

·
Registered
611 Posts
I guess, or to power a(suitably modified) motorcycle, if some sort of emergency, long distance travel
It's not difficult to convert 4-stroke piston engines to run on ethanol, or methanol, or whatever. All you'd need to do is adjust the timing, and (maybe) injectors and plug gaps.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
It can also be used a a fuel source that is smokeless.

A small alchohol stove can be a very useful item. If the fuel is spilled during transport, it will not poison your food.

:devil:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Yep, you can power engine with it (properly converted), disinfect with it, cook with it, etc. A still is not a bad idea. Anything a person enjoys doing is not a waste of time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.