Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
will mak group 1" at 25 yds, like a good .22 will do? Hell no. will it fit in your Levis pocket, and have room for your hand in a firing grip? Hell no it won't.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Because if I have to shoot somebody, I want to hit them with 4-5x as much bluff as the 22 has. :D

RIKA

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
will mak group 1" at 25 yds, like a good .22 will do? Hell no. will it fit in your Levis pocket, and have room for your hand in a firing grip? Hell no it won't.

I can tell right there that you don't know jack about a Mak (fixed barrel). They are probably one of the most accurate centerfire pistols you can lay your hands on.

Sticking a pistol in your pocket, all of the way, is a stupid and piss poor carry method.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Actually, IMO... pocket carry is pretty damn good with a backup. I agree with GK that if ya really want to draw ASAP, it's tough to beat having your hand already on the gun. Would want something 9mm+ as the primary, however. CCW IWB is my preference, but it's pretty slow, relatively speaking.

Re: accuracy of the Mak. They're pretty good, my top three CF would probably be P210, P7 and 1911. I think the down point is the crummy DA trigger... and you don't really want to carry them cocked/UNlocked, right? My wife's is a Bulgarian from Arsenal I think and it's pretty damn accurate in single action, but that DA pull is gonna be what you get your first shot off with when carried most of the time.

cheers

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I have fired MAKs with gunsmithed DA pulls that were very good. My Bulgie MAK has a good unsmithed DA pull. So all MAKs are not created equal.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the mak AMMO is doing GREAT to group 2" at 25 yds, out of a Contender. :) a gun CAN'T be more accurate than its ammo is. It's IMPOSSIBLE to beat hand on gun, if the guns are concealed, and you are talking a belt rig against the pocket rig. You can't even come CLOSE to hand in pocket draw, with realistic concealment of a belt rig. That is, a hung out shirt or a fastened winter coat. You will be .30 second slower, even if you are as fast as I am, and you AINT.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Yah, I didn't mean to generalize about all of them... I'm also wondering how much work can be done on the SA reset as well, because that was another issue. FWIW, the one that we got was hand picked by us from J&G, very clean.

cheers

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, any decent smith can get rid of a lot of the take up and the overtravel, but the question is, why bother? It still CAN'T hit very hard, still costs 5x what a 22 costs to shoot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts