Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right after 9/11 I bought an IAI M1 Carbine. That little gun worked like a Swiss watch for 300 rounds. Then it just suddenly became a jamomatic. Now, this was my third unreliable aftermarket carbine, the other 2 being being disposed of years ago, so I just sort of set it in the gun safe and forgot I owned it.

Well, a year or two later I started reading about how some of the bolt parts on the IAI's were not properly hardened........and after watching the various WW2 films I got a hard on (sorry Rika) to shoot my carbine again.

So.......I call up a vendor and order a new recoil spring, extractor and ejector. I figured I'd just replace it all and the problem would go away. Total cost of the parts was only about 15 bucks.

I tore the bolt apart last night and noticed that the ejector was REALLY tight in the bolt. I had to use a pair of needle nose pliars to pull it out. When I tried to put the new ejector in the hole it seemed just as tight or tighter.

Well, I got the bright idea to pull the bullet out of a shell and just work the action to "set" the ejector into the bolt. It worked.........but now the ejector is bottomed out in the bolt and will not come forward/out. It's stuck.

I have no idea how I'm going to get this SOB out.

Never work on a gun 15 minutes before you go to bed.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The ejector is jammed. Something is out of spec. You need to study a schematic to see how everything fits together. It will come out if you fool around with it enough or maybe you can use heat to free it or drill it out. And Flinter, don't feel bad. Everybody has their share of boo-boo's, especially me. Stuff like that bites every gunsmith.

Luck.

RIKA

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I'm 'thinkin' a bolt stripping tool [about $15/BUCKS] would have 'lessen' yer'
FUCK-UP! ,,,that carbine is 'pretty-simple' ,,,with the tools/training!

:wavey:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
next time try using a stone on that extractor mite make it fit a little better. :cool:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
well have you got it out yet??
:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LoL I'm almost ashamed to tell ya NH.

I tried soaking it in Kroil (probably the best penetrating oil in the world) with no results.

I tried tapping (beating) it on a block of wood.

I tried bending a nail and pushing it out from the back side.

I tried a combo of heat and kroil.

All of this brought no results at all.

So............I got the bright idea that I'd just drill into the ejector and hammer a small nail/easy out into it and pull it out.

Long story short.........drill bit came off the ejector, now I'm looking for a new bolt.

Damn the luck, eh?

I have found a bolt from SArco........$42 dollars complete or $32 stripped.

At least the lesson wasn't that expensive......of course, if I change bolts I probably should get a go/no go gauge for headspace. I looked at those a few years ago, I think they are 60 bucks for the M1 Carbine.

That drives the price to $102 for the lesson learned.

Not very cheap anymore......

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Ouch! At least you found another bolt.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
ya, i do know what you mean messed up my share of gun parts in the past. had an old man tell me if it don't fit like it was made for it get a 2 dollar stone and it will. oh well we all learn the hard way it appears to be the best way. if we acctully learned by others mistakes old JMD wouldn't be back in the can would he. i just like to think most of us can learn a lesson on smaller and less sgnificant things. the gage is a good idea, just think it cost you $102.00 to learn a lesson that will alst you a life time. if you break it down it's less than a $0.01 a day, cheap lesson when you think about it that way. leaned a rifle up agianst my pickup on the passenger side one day it was a real nice pre 64 modle 70 winchester in 264 win mag. drove off running over the rifle and the scope. heres your sign. don't do that anymore just took once to figure that one out. :headbang: :cool:

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
:laugh01: :roflmao1: and I'M sure the bolt WAS retracted,! when 'it',,,went down! :beer:

hey, flinter?,,,knowing your 'fellow-ship' with yer' carbine, I'D simply tell YOU
to wear some heavy GLOVES ,,,and find a 8-10" [standing] tree, and walk-up
jest like yer' fixin' to 'plug thet bee-hive/knot-hole' within' yer' man-hood' [ha!,,, :roflmao1: I'M sorry, BRO!]

and grasp your carbine with both hands, and let it 'rip' with the NEW $42 bolt[complete],,,as 'WHAT'? will the go/no -go gage tell you???,,,[removal of barrel from reciever and either shimmed/threads ground-off] ,,,slap that 'COMPLETE' BOLT IN IT and ram [5] fast rounds through -it

:wavey:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well, I have never enjoyed reading the forum this much.....
I gotta confess, I kinda feel for ya, I had my problems this year, now I just sit around and get fat while waiting for SKS ammo.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
fffg100grns said:
Well, I have never enjoyed reading the forum this much.....
I gotta confess, I kinda feel for ya, I had my problems this year, now I just sit around and get fat while waiting for SKS ammo.
at least your expanding your horizon. thats not like us other folks i guess we just have to keep walking and talking to ourselfs. i heard from my mother years ago, that if i talked to myself it would mean i was crazy. i had to tell her she was wrong, the reason i talk to myself around here is because it's the only way i can get into an intellegent conversation. when i answer myself, it's because it's the only way to get the answer i want. :argue: :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts