Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
chest, 25-50 m. It AINT a death ray, ya know. It's only GOT 1700-2200 ft lbs at the MUZZLE, depending upon the load, and its blunt nose slows it down RAPIDLY in the air. It wastes quite a bit of its power on overpenetration, too. A good 243 sp usually puts it to shame, on deer, with good hits.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
And scores more have run off shot with the .223. At least the 12 guage will shoot through a deer even if it hits bone. The CAR would wound far more than it kills ought right. Face it, the CAR is a losers gun.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Deer will run after taking a GOOD hit, from damn near anything. So "the deer ran" is not a measure of a weapon's effectiveness, HOW FAR the deer ran would be a better comparison. The stated 25-50 meters stated is a fast stop, hence 12 gauge slugs ARE effective, as anyone who's hunted with one knows.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
payload,payload, payload!

this is a interesting /FUNNY thread :deer:

thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I once shot a small deer, about 110 lbs. at most, through the heart and lungs with a 12 gauge slug. I thought I missed it as it took off with a bound and a full blown run, but I found a few drops of blood. I later found it about 125 yards away from where I had shot it. When I field dressed it here is what I found: At least 1/4 to as much as 1/3 of the heart was blow away (not there at all - no aorta present no heart from the surrounding area of the aorta for 1/4 to 1/3 the size of the whole heart - in other words a devastating wound), most of the left lung was the consistency of oatmeal (easily more than 50 percent of it, more like 75 percent), the right lung was about 15 to 25 percent like oatmeal. Rib cage smashed with splintered bone evident. Other trauma to soft body parts as would be expected.

Now are you going to tell me that it was the fault of the 12 gauge round that allowed this animal to run 125 yards from where I shot it because if you are then you don't know jack <font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font>! The things that allowed the animal to get as far as it did were probably, for the most part, stored energy and muscle memory. I doubt that any rifle round out there with the exception of some of the very large calibers would have done the amount of damage that this 12 slug had done. This animal was able to run like that not because of any lack on the part of the 12 gauge slug (the wound was an absolutely devastating kill shot), but because of attributes of the deer itself. Any good hit to a vital area with a 12 gauge slug from an appropriate range is likely to be a kill shot, it is a perfectly fine deer round. Why not take your head out of the clouds sometime, and come down to earth.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
look, stupid,just because u can't READ doesn't mean I can't WRITE. I said nothing about the 12 ga being ineffective. I just said that it sometimes lets deer run, that it's NOT the death ray that many 'think" it is,out of sheer ignorance.

A good 243 sp is more likely to lay on more in the way of the sort of shock that puts the game down sooner, altho it can also let the game run50-100m,it does so less frequently than does the 12 ga.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts