Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've gotten that Marlin 45-70 and have been so impressed with it, have been thinking about the 39A 22 rifle. Capacity of 19 22LR and the takedown feature makes it mighty attractive. That and its made of all steel and real walnut. Have never fired one though. Would anybody who has a Mod 39/39A care to comment. Especially if you can compare it to the Ruger 10-22.

Oh, heres a Marlin link:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/leverAction22/Golden39A.htm

RIKA

·
Registered
33 Posts
Raider, I have both. My 39A is my main 22 rifle.
The Ruger 10/22 I have is a Deluxe carbine w/ checking and barrel screw instead of barrel band.
Both are very good guns, they have definitely different feels to them.
The Marlin is heavier and feels more solid in the hands, Barrel is longer and front site hooded. The stock I feel has a "big rifle" feel to it, length of comb longer maybe.
The Marlin has a solid feel.

The Ruger is a fine rifle just doesn't have that serious rifle feel of the Marlin.

Jim

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Other than as a 6" barreled, telescoping stocked,canned cache gun, I see no use at all for a .22 rifle. Either it's serious foraging or fighting, far better done with the canned .22-AR unit,or it's practice for fighting with the rifle, far better done with the .22 unit, or it's just plinking, easily done with the .22 unit, or it's sport hunting, which is better done with your ccw pistol, to get you some field experience with it, learn to REALLY stalk and shoot, etc. That leaves the .22 rifle as being pointless.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Really now, if you truly think that owning a .22 rifle is pointless, then you are missing out on a lot of, if nothing else, fun. Sure you can have fun with a conversion kit for your AR-15 or whatever, but it is not the same as having an arms locker full of a good variety of fun guns. If you are truly an adult, let me say it this way, it is like having gone through life having known only one flavor of ice cream (changed my own post from saying knowing one woaman) Sure Vanilla may have been good, and may have even been the best, but variety is the SPICE of life and you will never know if vanilla was really the best unless you tried as many others as was possible before deciding. All the while that you are tasting the various flavors you are having a good time pleasuring your taste buds, meeting girls at the ice cream parlor, discussing the different flavors with friends, and so on. You have gotten better with the language, I think, so I know you can change for the better. Why not give a few more 'flavors' of firearms a go.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I WILL 'TOUCH' BASE on this one!

lil' sister as i had an 'original golden ' 39-a with peep sights[it shot like the GLORY OF [email protected] yd.]

alas! it was stolen!\along with others!

it WAS the BEST .22rimfire i have EVER laid my hands on!

[[that was a williams peep sight mounted on that fine lever action.
at the time it was that, or a saxaphone[=glad i bought the .22]]]]]

[deleted] thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Raider, I went home on lunch and got the Marlin out.
My son has the Ruger down at college now.

I would recommend the Marlin to anyone. These are great feeling and shouldering rifles. The action on mine is smooth and I've never had problem one with it.
I have shot Marlin center fire rifles up to the 35 Rem. - never the bigger bores.
I think the 39A has a simialr feel as the centerfires, not the same but close.
It definitely has a big rifle feel. Mine has a Nikon 4x scope mounted on it and I have plans to find either a 30-30 or 35 Rem and set it up in same fashion.

I would recommend getting the Marlin - I feel every man should have one great 22 rifle. The Ruger 10/22's are good guns, I just don't feel it's of the class as the Marlin 39A.

Jim

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
RIKA, the Marlin 39a is a GREAT rifle!
The 10/22 is the more efficient rifle for hunting and whatnot, and gets you more kudos on gun board where people like to brag about their minimalist, maximum efficiency approach to firearms ownership, but the buck stops there.

The Marlin is just plain more fun than the 10/22. Like others have said, it has the "big rifle" feel, the longer sight radius, and to anyone who likes shucking a lever, it's the real deal. For anything but efficiency or survival, the Marlin is the better rifle IMNSHO. Not that it can't be used for survival. There's been some real dents put in the local squirrel population due to a certain Marlin levergun. . .

Squirrel. . .CRAZY TASTY!

:dgrin:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. My interest is really whetted now. Maybe I can find someone who will let me shoot theirs. Will be checking out the gun stores for used ones also.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
why waste the time and money, to be just another lame assed plinker, instead of being a top notch man at what MATTERS in shooting, hmm?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Why throw you life away for an easy buck, so that you now can't even be mediocre at anything in shooting?

The Marlin is a fine gun and one can be a top notch shot with it. If you don't miss a lot, you don't need split-second repeat shots or a suppressor.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
why waste the time and money, to be just another lame assed plinker, instead of being a top notch man
I sure hope Erika is not a top notch man at anything!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't worry guys, I'm all girl. I think that GK's identity confusing thing has gone too far.

RIKA :D

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
223 fan said:
why waste the time and money, to be just another lame assed plinker, instead of being a top notch man at what MATTERS in shooting, hmm?
My question is if you were the "fastest man in the world" (Your statement) and right up there with the World Class shooters, why aren't you doing advertisements like Rob Leatham or writing books like Col. Cooper? It would beat collecting welfare.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
I had a "Golden 39A" back in the1970's. It was a GREAT gun, and the most accurate rimfire rifle I'd ever owned until I bought my CZ a couple years ago.

Unfortunately, while I was in the army, my parents sold the farm and moved, and much of my "stuff" got lost in the shuffle. I got home in 1982, and never saw my 39A, my Ruger .22 "Standard Model" pistol, my cap & ball revolvers, black powder .45 "Kentucky" rifle, 12-gauge, etc, etc.... again. Never found out what happened to any of them.

Handle a 39A at the store; if you like the feel of it at all, buy it. I don't think you'll be sorry if you do. (And if it's got a replacement brass lever screw, rather than the factory blue one, and a Weaver "Wideview" scope, let me know so I can come get it. :) )

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
just cause a ???

*********I have written many books on making cans, one general guns and ammo. As Soon as I'm done with the Feds, I'll get to work on getting the pics that the latter book needs to be a top seller in the field.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
andy said:
*********I have written many books on making cans, one general guns and ammo. As Soon as I'm done with the Feds, I'll get to work on getting the pics that the latter book needs to be a top seller in the field.
You can write or collect pictures and publish your works while on Supervised Release or a Special Parole Term; that is employment, not forbidden behaviour. What are the names of your books and who were the publishers? Don't forget, John, "getting done with the Feds" does not mean you can own or even handle a firearm.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
It is also possible that writing such a book or getting those pics could be a parole violation dependent upon the terms. Nice of you to want to write those books, I would not mind reading one someday, but better to do it legally.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Actually Glen, A person released as Supervised Release Violator or Special Parole Term release can write (and publish) articles and books subject to very few provisions. The "anarchist cookbook" and homemade guns/silencers would certainly not find favor with a parole officer or Case Management Coordinator, but a straight up article or book on firearms and shooting would not be out of the question.

·
Registered
44 Posts
John in AR said:
I had a "Golden 39A" back in the1970's. It was a GREAT gun, and the most accurate rimfire rifle I'd ever owned until I bought my CZ a couple years ago.

Unfortunately, while I was in the army, my parents sold the farm and moved, and much of my "stuff" got lost in the shuffle. I got home in 1982, and never saw my 39A, my Ruger .22 "Standard Model" pistol, my cap & ball revolvers, black powder .45 "Kentucky" rifle, 12-gauge, etc, etc.... again. Never found out what happened to any of them.

Handle a 39A at the store; if you like the feel of it at all, buy it. I don't think you'll be sorry if you do. (And if it's got a replacement brass lever screw, rather than the factory blue one, and a Weaver "Wideview" scope, let me know so I can come get it. :) )
I could not agree more. That .22LR is more accurate than multi-thousand dollar .22LR target rifles. No kidding, the Marlin is that accurate. Get one or two of 'em if you can ;)

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
you're fos. The M39A is MAYBE 3/4" at 50 yds. a goo

match rifle groups 1/10" at that distance, with match ammo, for TEN shots, and the Marlin's trigger SUCKS.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts