Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to much. My friend just tried the IDPA Classifier match with a lw 9mm Commander, from concealment, and got times of 82, and 85 seconds, for his 2 attempts, no warmups. :) 90 seconds, open wear, with a full size and wt 1911 is "master" class.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Go to IDPA Homepage for info on the

"classifier" match. It involves firing at 7, 10, 20 yds,2 tactical reloads, 99 rds fired, 2 slide-lock reloads 2 reloads with retention of the empty mag, quite a few head shots, strong hand only, weak hand only firing, Firing while advancing, firing while retreating, firing around cover, pivot, draw and fire, kneeling as drawing, so, a lot of time is involved, regardless of how fast you are. Firing is done on the 8" A zone, 10"x12" C zone, rest of silohutte being a D zone, the head being the B zone. The more peripheral the hit, the lower the score. A zone was set up by IPSC to be 5 points, B and C were 4 or 3 pts, depending upon Major or Minor caliber (.45 or 9mm) and D was either 3 or 2 points, again depending upon caliber. That always was bs, and was determined by the momentum of the load(ie, bullet wt in grs, x velocity in fps, as in 230grs x 800 fps=184 "power-factor" A score of 175 or 180+ (depending upon US or world IPSC standards "made Major". Now, I think it's a wussy 160 factor.

Anyhow, any hits out of the A zone, for IDPA, mean .5 second added to your time, so slow down enough to get ALL A's, at least, at 7 and 10 yds. It does not take another .5 second to do so. At 25 yds, it MIGHT take more than .5 seconds, depending upon the gun,load and shooter.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IDPA clsassifier is too long ranged,

too many targets, too many rounds fired, no LATERAL movement by the shooter, no moving targets, no night fire, etc. Far better to have the ranges, times, conditions, # of targets reflect REALITY. In other words, at least 1/4 of the firing at arm's length, at least 1/2 of the firing at 6 ft or less, at least3/4 of the firing at 10ft or less, no more than 10% of it beyond 20 ft, no more than 5% beyond 30 ft, and don't bother with beyond 15 yds at ALL. It can all be done at 10m or less, with head shots at 10 yds being just as difficult as torso hits at 30 yds.

While you should be able to switch to another target, there's no realism in firing upon more than 2 targets, on any one stage of fire, because that doesn't reflect the reality of either what CAN be done with a pistol (while being shot-at) nor what experience proves that the civilian has to do. So why complicate the range-conditions, unnecessarily, hmm?

At least half of the qualifier-shoot should be fired in poor light. That's not hard to achieve in daylight, with a double layer of black plastic sheeting being draped over 2x4 wood uprights and horizontals, which can also be used as "barricades" for use as cover, as target stands,as "hostages", etc. About half of the low light shooting should involve illuminating the target with a hand held flashlight, prior to firing.

Naturally, all this means you have to be VERY fast on the draw, but in reality, that's the truth of it, and why I favor a pocket gun. Hand ON gun, whenever you "smell a rat" (gun and hand still in your pocket) is a discrete, INTELLIGENT response to possible lethal threat. I would add same, whenever in an "iffy" environment, like a dark alley, parking lot, public restroom, etc, whehter or you DETECT anyone's presence. Ditto ANY time a stranger approaches you in the street.

So, cut the ranges in half, cut the number of rds fired in half, cut the total time of the classifier by 3/4, and you are getting a LOT closer to the sorts of skills that really matter with a pistol.

Less than 3% of handgun owners are cops or in the military, ad half of the time, at least, cops or troops will be carrying the pistol in the same manner as is the civilian, and for the same reason. That is, concealed and for personal protection against punks, not in any way connected to their official "duties". So the odds are about 50 to 1 that the sort of firing-attack, etc that are seen in the NRA mag's "The Armed Citizen", the DOJ's Annual Crime Survey, and the FBI'S Uniform Crime Report will be what you experience, and thus, what you should train for.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
70 seconds should be "master" time,

open wear, and 80 seconds with both realistic concealment and a lw, compact carry gun. 90 seconds, open wear, 1911, is a wussy time for the classifier.

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
Please post date of match, location and somebody that will provide independent verification of your scores gunkid. By the way, what did your parole officer think about you shooting again?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font color=red>[**censored**]</font> u, garnad

u've tried for 6 years to get me to admit to a CURRENT felony, and it's never worked yet, and it never will, either. Rest assured, however, that if you want to BET, say, $50,000, that my friend can't perform as claimed, he's ready to blast off to Canada and take your money. It will pay for new prints, face, ID :)

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
wannabe

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
While it is funny to watch Goonkid argue amongst himself, telling himself his accomplishments are no big deal, one has to wonder, did this come from one of his '70s magazines or did he have another bad trip?

BTW GK< you wouldn't take up offers to pay your way to some of your bets, ones that DIDN'T require you to commit a felony, so you'll never travel to one that does, you're too much of a coward. And spare us the drivel about "when I'm off parole I'm getting new prints, new ID, etc." It's all BS. Everything you talk of doing is just as illegal after parole. If you really make the $$ you supposedly make, you'd have DONE IT already. Just admit you never will, you'll keep living off mommy and will never amount to anything, much less what you claim to be.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
<font color=red>[**censored**]</font> u, garnad

u've tried for 6 years to get me to admit to a CURRENT felony, and it's never worked yet, and it never will, either. Rest assured, however, that if you want to BET, say, $50,000, that my friend can't perform as claimed, he's ready to blast off to Canada and take your money. It will pay for new prints, face, ID :)
you're delusional, and probably certifiable as insane.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Think he was told that many times.
You know at times he reminds of this goofus I used to work security with. Thank goodness not on the same shift.
Wouldn't hesitate to set co-workers up for failure and also passed over for promotion at least once as pretty much everyone at that site threatened to up and leave if he became site supervisor.
The guy for a little while had been a cage kicker at one of the county lockups but apparently told to move on before he got shanked.

Well to the main point. He'd often complain he deserved to get promoted because he "had the certificates". I'd have to restrain myself from laughing and just think more like :he'ss certifiable.😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts