Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this link at another site. pretty interesting stuff:http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Revolvers/Mateba_Model_6.htm A sort of semi auto revolver. What an interesting idea, but I have to wonder if it would be prone to lots of headaches because of added moving parts? I wonder why all the bother for a revolver but maybe it would be a help to target shooters.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Interesting concept but I'll stay with my S&W M66! Probably less breakage and spare parts are alot cheaper!

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I've got to think that the higher-in-the-hand mass of a revolver, combined with the slide-action of an auto, not to mention the rotational force of the cylinder advance, that thing's got to have a weird recoil. The bore axis is lower than a normal revolver (bottom cylinder-firing), which should help muzzle flip, but it's still got to be a strange critter to fire.

Of course, I felt the same way about the Auto-5 with its recoiling barrel. Only fired one once, and didn't like it. When fired, it was like the entire gun came to life & jumped every which way. Weird.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
ha! yes there is 'some recovery' on follow-up shots with an A-5

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I have two Browning A-5's, a Lightweight 12 Ga. and a "Sweet Sixteen". I don't think their recoil is that much different or reaction time for follow up shot's slowed by it's recoil system. Enlighten me, but you'll have a hard sell. I've owned the 16 for 31 years and the 12 for 14, and I ain't giving them up!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
CDNN Investments had Matebas' listed for,IIRC,$650 over the summer.I thought about picking up a .44 Mag version just for shits 'n' giggles.Wiser heads prevaled though.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
copy, T.G! as compared to the rem 1100's[as it and the browning are the only
semi-autos i own] there is a noticable difference, now maybe! if i have only ever hunted/shot the A-5 i might have your same P.O.V. but i know different
by owning/shooting both,thats why i chimed/chirped in with my informed opinon! and laying it on the table , as i did![this was a soft 'sell' bro!]

:wavey:

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I like my Model Winchester 1200 12 Ga., too, but those Brownings are just, well, BROWNING'S. They fit me. The recoil mechanism does not bother me in the least. When firing at game I never notice anything, anyway. I shoot my BSA 7MM Magnum once at a target from a rest and it hurt's. When I shoot it at game, (Sparrow's, Chipmunks, Toy Poodles) I never feel a thing.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Terry -

Not knocking the Auto 5; I've never owned one, and only fired one once. Much like the 1911 shooter who tries a Glock for the first time, it was just very different.

The only other auto shotguns I've fired are the 1100 and a Benelli. But the Auto 5 seemed like it came to life and did a jumping-jack in my hands when I fired it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
what's the point? complexity of an autoloader, without the convenience of an auto's takedown or the magazine, DUMB idea.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've got four of the A5 paterned guns, the FN 16 and three Rem. M11's, all 12ga, recoil hasn't been an issue to me. Actualy more comfortable than my heavier SXS 12.

·
Registered
90 Posts
what's the point? complexity of an autoloader, without the convenience of an auto's takedown or the magazine, DUMB idea
Cause its cool and i cant get a webley-fosberry?I have handled one of these,tho not fired it Its well done and an interesting piece

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Robert,I personally look at it,& other similar"oddballs",not as a weapon per se,but as a neat knick knack that happens to shoot bullets.It's nothing that I'd consider as a first choice defensive arm but IT IS a conversation piece.& they look funny-which can only help.:)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
andy said:
I can polish rocks for conversation pieces. Cost me about 10c each.

Damn,you should try stand up! :laugh01:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts