Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I dont need pouches for mags, anyway. The 2 spares fit just fine in my back pockets.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Yeah but they hurt when you fall on your fat butt.

RIKA :D

·
Registered
779 Posts
They might fit, but if they get damaged, then what? Mag pouches are cheap and they give good protection. No reason not to get a few.

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
And again gunkid demonstrates his complete and utter lack of experience in the bush. Feel free to use your back pockets. First time you fall and land on your butt the magazines are damaged, or lost. Then your left with the one on your rifle. Hope you don't loose that one to!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
So, you have to reach to your back to retreive a mag? You are going to travel with mags in your back pockets? Every time you sit down you run the risk of rendering them useless.

Only two mags?

I call BS.

My mags are in pouches and each mag has a magpul on it. (Can't say enough good things about magpuls - if you don't want to buy them, you can use paracord and tape to fashion some equivalents - I beleive Mrostov posted some pics a while back.)

You show your ineptitude with each post you make like this GK.

:devil:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Military pouches fit into the web gear and help distribute the weight. You have so much shit in your pants it's laughable.

Let's see gun in front pocket, mags in back pockets, what was it you also going to carry in your pockets?

Oh darn it, I forget, at one time it was quite a bit of stuff, all in places that would cause you grief for any real travel.

Your lack of experience in the field is showing....

:devil:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
There are few worse places to carry spare magazines than in pockets and only two spare magazines for a SHTF rifle is idiotic!
If you really have a .223 CAR do your self a favor. Get an army web pistol belt and two or three army triple magazine pouches. Then if you ever have to fight with a rifle you will live a bit longer.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I can make a shovel or pick myself if need be, but since it's cheaper, faster, and easier to buy one (made by those who do it faster, cheaper, and better than home-made), it would be silly to make a home-made one.

I have actually made home-made carriers for magazines and even for revolver speedloaders, but factory-made ones are generally preferable. The one thing I do still use some self-made versions of are handgun holsters. The cross-draw for my SRH, an 'avenger' style one I made for my Detonics years ago, etc. But even those aren't overly cost-effective when compared to factory-made, taking several hours each.

Just as you often point out about reloading, the time involved often makes it not a good return on your investment.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Well to be fair, when i go hunting i have spare .30-30s in my pants pocket; but i use a hip pocket, I dont want to land on a bunch of ammunition whenever i sit down.
I would use mag pouches though if i were going to be carrying more than one extra box mag...

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
Coyote, if I might suggest, invest in a couple of the rifle ammo belt carriers from "Uncle Mikes". They are durable, cheap and your .30-30 would be very easy to get at when required.

http://www.unclemikes.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
There's also the belt carriers that have separate loops for each cartridge, and close up so that snow, dirt, etc doesn't get in your cartridges, but it's easy to open and pull cartridges one at a time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts