Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
He's impressive. I'm not a shotgun guy at heart, but a good one can be fast & effective.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sure, if you want to lug around something thats limited to 25m of effective range. Dunno why anyone would want to handicap themselves like that. Even the cops have wised up and gone to patrol rifles in 223 and they are always 20 years behind the times.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
sure, if you want to lug around something thats limited to 25m of effective range. Dunno why anyone would want to handicap themselves like that. Even the cops have wised up and gone to patrol rifles in 223 and they are always 20 years behind the times.
I usually shoot a Browning A 5 Light 12, hardly have to "lug" it around. I just ate some Pheasant stew I harvested with it. You can score at 35 to forty yards on birds with the right load and choke. You have never done it so of course it can't be done. As far as a man stopper it is very effective with no.4 Buck past 25 yards. You know nothing about shotguns. Your idea of hunting birds is to cruise back roads and shoot them out the window. What a goof!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I usually shoot a Browning A 5 Light 12, hardly have to "lug" it around. I just ate some Pheasant stew I harvested with it. You can score at 35 to forty yards on birds with the right load and choke. You have never done it so of course it can't be done. As far as a man stopper it is very effective with no.4 Buck past 25 yards. You know nothing about shotguns. Your idea of hunting birds is to cruise back roads and shoot them out the window. What a goof!
You have to remember, Melvin here is INCREDIBLY Sensitive to Any Recoil over that of a .22.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Shotgun isn't my favorite at all, but they're still very effective. A decent 00 buckshot load will do fine out to 50 yards or so imo as long as your choke is okay. And if push comes to shove & you need more range, it's still quicker & easier to swap from buckshot to slug than it is to swap the AR from 22LR adapter kit back to 223.

I much prefer a carbine, but if I was forced to have 'only' a semiauto 12-gauge for defensive purposes I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
For some silly reason both the US and Canadian Armed Forces have issued shotguns for a hundred years, Melvin might want to think the requirement.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
9,718 Posts

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
For some silly reason both the US and Canadian Armed Forces have issued shotguns for a hundred years, Melvin might want to think the requirement.
They also issue .308's and grenades which are stupid. Just because something is government-issued doesn't mean it's worth having. It has been thus decreed.

But we MUST use the 223, BECAUSE it's the government-issued round. It has also been decreed. :laugh:

Trying to ride the gunkid logic train leads nowhere useful...

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
While I wouldn't personally want it as my primary defensive firearm if I'm travelling across hill and dale, I believe it has its place when you are located in a static location. I've lived in portions of the country where you have virtually a triple canopy jungle, totally black at night and your rifle sights mean nothing. It is good for small game harvesting and can be used in a self defense mode quite easily by someone with minimal training.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
There are slug guns that will go far beyond 25 m, and there is a very wide variety of many different types of ammo available. From shot sizes and mixtures, slugs, breaching rounds, flechettes, rubber balls, CS, and others.

They’re quite versatile. One of the reasons the military still uses them.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Garand & Dorobuta - agree with both. My take on defensive shotguns is that they're very effective, but they're just not very efficient. At least (imo) not as efficient as a carbine, largely due to bulkier ammo and lower capacity.

I only have one really serious defensive shotgun, a mossberg 930 that I bought on the recommendation of my BIL who's a former world-champion shotgun shooter. He owns a lot of seriously expensive shotguns, but his defensive shotgun is a simple 930. Been very happy with mine in the probably 4-5 years I've had it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I really don’t have any in a defensive role, I just don’t dismiss them out of hand...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts