Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some mods I made to a 181 series Mini-14 I bought last year.

It was already parkerized by me for the guy I got it from then I darkened the stock carefuly with a propane torch, beats trying to get a dark finish with stain hehehe....

Attachments

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When he had it the fellow had a scope on it plus he removed the front sight, which was replaced with a Choate combo flash hider front sight assembly. While shooting the rifle with a rear peep back on it took most of the elevation to get it dead on at 100yds so I trimmed 1/16" off the front sight post and parkerized it and the rear sight assenbly.

While that was off I had a friend cut 4 more notches on the windaged adjustment so it will be more on dead center when I re-zero it.

Attachments

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brass hammer- No problem.:beer:

The pic quality ain't at it's best, cheap digi. cam makes it look too digital or rough; plus dark.:D

I did have to scrub it down somewhat, the steel wool and linseed oil did a good job of knocking off the actual charcoal though.

mrostov- A Houge stock will be down the road soon. This is just a temporary fix . A fellow at the public range where I go had a Mini with the Houge stock on it and it felt pretty nice.

And GK- I think your the only one here who has a gun with a compass set in the stock and a saddle ring. :p

· Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was not stainless steel.

Stainless cannot be parkerized. In fact you have to use a stainless tank to hold the parkerizing solution otherwise it would coat the inside of a regular steel tank instead of the gun parts.
Though I do use a small enamel coated pan on a hot plate for little jobs.

However Ruger does a good job of doing something to stainless that gives it a flat gray finish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.