Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GB,

Is there any lubricant that you can dump into a firearm action and really smooth it up? Brownells sells a grease thats supposed to be good and Outers made 'Gunslick' but I'm really not too sure. Carefully used stones work for me along with a light lubricant afterwards. However there are some handgun innards like the Chinese Tokarev that are so rough that I don't want to bother with.

I'll save the Croton Oil for GK. :D

RIKA

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
RIKA, the best oil or grease for a gun depends on the tolerances of the action.

Let me give you an example:

Mausers are some of the finest rifles, but they will not tolerate some of the popular grease lubricants in the striker tunnel. Pull the trigger and the striker/tunnel becomes a syringe, squirting grease onto the rear of the cartridge. Mausers like a thin oil, like Nyoil or Rem Oil. Lugers are the same way.

One of the few exceptions to this rule are the spray waxes. They apply like an aerosol, but leave a wax film. For some reason they seem to work well in many different actions. SuperLube is better than many of the newer products

A suprisingly good grease is Rusty Duck. It's inexpensive and it works. I used to use it on my paintball gun.

My picks:

light oil: Nyoil or Rem Oil

spray wax/polymer: #1 BoeShield, #2 SuperLube

grease: Rusty Duck

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of a company sells Rusty Duck? Also Boeshield and Superlube. No super tight tolerances on a TOK.

Thanks

RIKA

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The Tokarev uses a modular unit so it's easy to lube but hard to improve.

Woodworker's Supply sells Boe Shield and you can order online. Boe Shield is in a white can. It was originally developed for Boeing to protect airplane parts.

Try this link for Boe Shield: http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=821-322

K-mart sells Rusty Duck grease. Unless Rusty Duck has changed, it's in a brown can with a red duck's head and the grease itself is blue.

Here's a link for Rusty Duck: http://www.markesbery.com/Accessories.htm

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Rolin.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It's good stuff, BG. Thanks for the heads up.

Best,
Jon

P.S. - Oh, and I'll see you in a couple of weeks!

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I love Super Lube! http://www.super-lube.com/ I've been using it extensively on my M1 Garands and M14/M1A's since 1986. I've found that even after sustained firing, there is still lots of lube left on the rifle. I've also noticed that during wet weather shooting, the lube is not washed away.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
GBullet said:
RIKA, the best oil or grease for a gun depends on the tolerances of the action.

Let me give you an example:

Mausers are some of the finest rifles, but they will not tolerate some of the popular grease lubricants in the striker tunnel. Pull the trigger and the striker/tunnel becomes a syringe, squirting grease onto the rear of the cartridge. Mausers like a thin oil, like Nyoil or Rem Oil. Lugers are the same way.

One of the few exceptions to this rule are the spray waxes. They apply like an aerosol, but leave a wax film. For some reason they seem to work well in many different actions. SuperLube is better than many of the newer products

A suprisingly good grease is Rusty Duck. It's inexpensive and it works. I used to use it on my paintball gun.

My picks:

light oil: Nyoil or Rem Oil

spray wax/polymer: #1 BoeShield, #2 SuperLube

grease: Rusty Duck
Super post Rolin. Posts like this should be saved and used for reference material.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.