Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KNOWN range, rangefinder, match ammo, for first shot. U bozos "think" it's feasible with 45-70, old style ammo, old style sights, u r fos. Nobody's gonna stand around and let you shoot at them after that first shot. So your mortar fire sighting in is just more of your typical plinker bs.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You may miss alot, I don't. I use a Remington M40A1 with a Leupold M3LR mildot scope for ranging along with a mildot master. At 600 yards, I can consistantly hit 4 inch standard sporting clays all day long.

As for the .45-70, I've never bothered to try shooting it past 300 yards. I'll do that this Sunday though.

Mike

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
U bozos "think" it's feasible with 45-70, old style ammo, old style sights, u r fos. Nobody's gonna stand around and let you shoot at them after that first shot. So your mortar fire sighting in is just more of your typical plinker bs.
Wow! I never knew I had to shoot old style ammo and use old style sights on my 45-70. Guess I'm going to have to throw away my Leupold scope and custom handloads so your silly little post will be true instead of a lie. Naaah. Think I'll keep them just to show what a gas bag you are andy. :dunce:

RIKA

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Rifles chambered for the 45-70, used to regularly win the long rang matches at Creedmore (1000 and 1200 yards) and Wimbleton (1000 meters) in the mid 1880s and 1890s, shooting black powder loads.

I would guess if you haven't the experience, or the ability to shoot that well, the next best thing, for some people, is to attack the shooters and the rifles.

There is a book, written in the 1920s, by Major Ned Roberts (0f 257 Roberts fame) called "The Caplock, Muzzleloading Rifle," that details much about that shooting. Some of the matches in the old days were one hundred round matches.

The great majority of these matches were shot with Tang sights. In those days if you didn't shoot around a twelve inch, ten shot group, you would not be considered much of a shooter.

I guess these old timers didn't know they could shoot groups like that at 1000 yards with metallic sights, even though they did.

And the Civil War era sniper that shot a enemy General, at a mile, while up in a tree, didn't know he could do it either. This shot was made with an 1863 Springfield rifle. A Caplock, Muzzle Loading rifle, equipped with an aperature sight.

Then there was Billy Dixon, using an 1874 Sharps, Chambered in 45-110 who shot a Commanche Indian off of his horse, at a measured 1535 yards, during the Second Battle of Adobe Walls, in the Texas Panhandle (near present day Stinnet, TX).

If these shooters knew their Tang Sighted Rifles couldn't make those shots, they probably wouldn't have attempted their record making feats.

I would surmise these records prove there isn't much that an antique rifle, shooting obsolete loads,through unreliable aperature sights, cannot do!

However, that is just a personal opinion, based on fact, not inexperience. These shooters didn't know how well they could have shot for record, if they would have had the advantage of shooting a rifle with a ten inch barrel, that has a porta-potti on the end of it.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hard Rock said:
You may miss alot, I don't. I use a Remington M40A1 with a Leupold M3LR mildot scope for ranging along with a mildot master. At 600 yards, I can consistantly hit 4 inch standard sporting clays all day long.

As for the .45-70, I've never bothered to try shooting it past 300 yards. I'll do that this Sunday though.

Mike
HR, it is a wild guess on my part, but I think NUTTY JOHN doesn't know what a Leupold M3LR scope is.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You're probably right, but honestly, that isn't my problem... if he got his head out of his ass and actually tried learning something, he might go places.

Mike

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hard Rock said:
You're probably right, but honestly, that isn't my problem... if he got his head out of his ass and actually tried learning something, he might go places.

Mike
NUTTY JOHN is too old, and too FAT. Sooo it is too late for him. There is too much "muddy water" that has flown under his bridge.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
andy said:
miss 600m, 12"x24" a LOT w/o scoped 308 autos KNOWN range, rangefinder, match ammo, for first shot. U bozos "think" it's feasible with 45-70, old style ammo, old style sights, u r fos.
Your post makes little sense, hell your post says that you can miss with a .308 at 600m, but CAN'T with a .45-70!

Assuming you meant the opposite, that one can't hit ont he first shot at 600m, with a .45-70 with old style ammo and sights, you're equally wrong. Again, you didn't specify the rifle. So let's assume an old-style rifle, a Sharps. With old-style sights (vernier tang, or Soule sights). With old-style ammo (BP loads).

Funny, those are exactly the conditions the long-range Sharps shooters prefer today. They PREFER BP loads, because they are more consistant and conducive to accuracy. They USE tang sights. But, well, they do it at 100+yards, still, TODAY.

For 600m, a Marlin 1895 CB, with the old-timey tang sights (which the Marlin comes setup for) and BP loads is a 600 yard gun, no problem. If you know your sight settings, a first round hit is no problem either.

Go bark up some other tree.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts