Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard this topic discussed here and there and no one seems to have any real definitive answers about whether this is a worthwhile endeavor or not. I debated this with myself for quite a while, reading as much as I could and only getting more confused in the process. So I decided to try it for myself after I came to the conclusion that likely the most important issue had nothing at all to do with what people were debating about. To me, the most important issue was friction.

Not that I am likely to shoot any of my guns enough times for this to be an issue, but what exactly IS moly (hey I would spell it out, but CAN'T!)? It's a dry lubricant, right? What does a lubricant do? It reduces friction, which in turn reduces wear.

Well, reducing wear and friction within the barrel HAS to be a good thing, I would think. So I moly coat ALL of the projectiles I shoot now. I don't want my barrels to wear out, and actually want as little wear and tear on the rifling as I can get. So if Moly coating helps in this regard, then heck, why not?

The accuracy question was not too relevant as long as it didn't make the accuracy worse, but I suspect that it will certainly change your loadings. The pressure curve will be different since the bullet will get down the barrel quicker. I would just be real careful about intermixing the loadings if you use both non coated and moly coated projectiles. I suspect you will be able to use more potent powder loadings with moly coated projectiles, and those same loadings in non coated loadings may be a big pressure problem. But I haven't really experimented with that yet, just guessing.

Just keep in mind that any time you change ANY component in a loading you are screwing around with the total formula and you need to be cautious.

Cleaning is definitely easier and quicker, so that was a plus as well. I have read pros and cons about using moly coated bullets during break-in and have tried both. I thought the break in procedure went a lot quicker and groups tightened up quicker, but not enough experience under my belt to make a claim either way.

But for me, it was the issue of friction and wear that made my mind up for me. A copper chunk of metal sliding down a steel barrel has to have a significant amount of friction. Moly coating will apparently reduce this friction, as has been noted that barrels don't get as hot as quickly with moly coated bullets. This tends to suggest that friction is what is actually heating up the barrels, so it MUST be significant for that to happen.

IMHO, of course.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts