Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
snared and .22'd, cause all he had was a jackknife, and the great and wonderful Tuef and rostov have said you CAN'T skin a deer with just a pocketknife. Moreland lived in the IDaho wilds for 13 years, on the run, and never had a cabin or a sleeping bag, and the Great and Wonderful Rostov and Teuf claim NOBODY ever lived without a super duper sleeping bag. :)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
snared and .22'd, cause all he had was a jackknife, and the great and wonderful Tuef and rostov have said you CAN'T skin a deer with just a pocketknife. Moreland lived in the IDaho wilds for 13 years, on the run, and never had a cabin or a sleeping bag, and the Great and Wonderful Rostov and Teuf claim NOBODY ever lived without a super duper sleeping bag. :)
You must also understand, Moreland was half crazy and he lived a miserable life. When he could, he stole what gear he was lacking.

Take note that when he was found, HE HAD A SLEEPING BAG which he had stolen. You can use blankets and other things if you make appropriate shelter, but the better your gear, the less your life sucks and the less your life sucks, the better your chances of survival.

You rely on only mylar, you're going to die.

I've tried going with just mylar as an experiment to see how it would work under REAL conditions and it is HORRID when used alone - and no, your velco isn't going to help you.

BTW, I used both the 'emergency' space blanket and the actual reinforced plastic tarp style space blanket. Not only do both suck as a stand alone, but both also are seriously lacking in the durability department.

They have their place and I still have 2 emergency style space blankets and one reinforced plastic tarp style (olive drab on one side) in my main backpack. An emergency style space blanket combined with a poncho liner and a poncho can work OK in a short term pinch, provided that it doesn't get too awfully cold and you can find shelter from the wind.

Say you have a small, light tent to keep the wind away, and a light sleeping bag, like a 30 degree bag. Then say, the temperature suddenly drops in a huge way outside. Then, the space blankets can work great as a supplement and you can get a good night's sleep.

As for your hammock, the hammock blows chunks as a cold weather shelter unless you have a real shelter like a cabin to use it in.

Never said it was absolutely impossible to skin a deer with just a pocket knife, I just said that it totally sucks when compared to how much easier it is with a decent knife. The Buck 110 is a 'pocket knife' and it's not that bad for dressing out a deer if that's all you have. A decent knife and/or a good bowie makes things a lot better.

BTW, if forced to make a such a choice between a small 'jackknife' and your straight razor, I'd much rather have a small 'Stockman' style two bladed pocket knife instead of a shaving straight razor for skinning out a deer. Both would suck, but the Stockman would suck a lot less.

Not getting a decent knife right now when you can is a big mistake.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Your skill and knowledge in fieldcraft and hunting is minimal as is. If you actually think it is possible to survive with minimal kit, please give a detailed posting of the kit you have packed and ready to go AT THIS MOMENT!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
mrostov said:
You must also understand, Moreland was half crazy and he lived a miserable life. When he could, he stole what gear he was lacking.

Take note that when he was found, HE HAD A SLEEPING BAG which he had stolen. You can use blankets and other things if you make appropriate shelter, but the better your gear, the less your life sucks and the less your life sucks, the better your chances of survival.

You rely on only mylar, you're going to die.

I've tried going with just mylar as an experiment to see how it would work under REAL conditions and it is HORRID when used alone - and no, your velco isn't going to help you.

BTW, I used both the 'emergency' space blanket and the actual reinforced plastic tarp style space blanket. Not only do both suck as a stand alone, but both also are seriously lacking in the durability department.

They have their place and I still have 2 emergency style space blankets and one reinforced plastic tarp style (olive drab on one side) in my main backpack. An emergency style space blanket combined with a poncho liner and a poncho can work OK in a short term pinch, provided that it doesn't get too awfully cold and you can find shelter from the wind.

Say you have a small, light tent to keep the wind away, and a light sleeping bag, like a 30 degree bag. Then say, the temperature suddenly drops in a huge way outside. Then, the space blankets can work great as a supplement and you can get a good night's sleep.

As for your hammock, the hammock blows chunks as a cold weather shelter unless you have a real shelter like a cabin to use it in.

Never said it was absolutely impossible to skin a deer with just a pocket knife, I just said that it totally sucks when compared to how much easier it is with a decent knife. The Buck 110 is a 'pocket knife' and it's not that bad for dressing out a deer if that's all you have. A decent knife and/or a good bowie makes things a lot better.

BTW, if forced to make a such a choice between a small 'jackknife' and your straight razor, I'd much rather have a small 'Stockman' style two bladed pocket knife instead of a shaving straight razor for skinning out a deer. Both would suck, but the Stockman would suck a lot less.

Not getting a decent knife right now when you can is a big mistake.
Rostov, You're usually so accurate on equipment, that I use your posts as reference material.

However, a Stockman style folding knife, has three blades. The Trapper style folding knife, has two blades. I have about forty Case knives here, behind me, as I SPEAK, half Stockman style, and half Trapper style, in various sizes. Why forty Case knives? Just because I want them, and can get a deal on them!

I personally, won't comment on the TARD'S lack of knowledge About survival, and PREPARDNESS equipment, anymore. Let the TARD go out with his unworkable, unusable, kit. Then, because of his shoddy equipment, the sooner we will find his bleached bones laying around some where. And, his bleached bones WILL be found laying around, somewhere, that is, if the Coyotes don't scatter them first. Canine revenge?

Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Yup, Bill, that was a glaring typo on my behalf. I stand corrected. The stress of business must be wearing me down. :(

What I was thinking of was this knife pictured below, a very similar, almost identical copy of which I had as a young kid in the 1970's - and yes, it is a 'Trapper', not a 'Stockman'. Pretty decent little knife actually. When I was a wee young'n I always had this and a small sharpening hone in my pocket. I graduated from this knife up to a Buck 112 when I was in grade school.

For those that don't know, this below is a Stockman; Stockman knives have 3 blades.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
I have to admit I'm totally unaware of this Moreland. Could someone furnish me with a book title and author? I would appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts