Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over about a 2 year period,using a single shot rifle. When you LIVE out there with the critters, it's feasible to just not fire unless you get a sub 50 ft head shot.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
& what's your point?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Kill 24 deer in 2 yrs that would be waaaay to easy!! Abought every day I have deer at 50 yards and less off of my back deck. And no I'm not talkin' about those hand fed New York style deer. Maybe a deer a month for 2 yrs is BIG for you but not for the country folk.

Nick

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Moreland also didn't have a suppressor and it took them years to figure out he was even there, let alone catch him.

He also shot bears.

He also killed more deer and bears than that with wire/cable snares.

Bill Moreland survived for the majority of his many years in some of the harshest wilderness in the USA without ANY firearm.

One of his favorite food preservation methods was to take scavanged tin cans, fill them up with wild berries, and pour melted bear fat over them.

For those who don't know of Wild Bill Moreland, he was a vagrant and drifter who wandered into a harsh wilderness area in Idaho during the Depression and stayed there, living off the land, supplemented by pilfering.

Since he took off out into the wilderness with basically just the clothes on his back, one of the things which allowed him to survive was petty theft from people's cabins and forestry service outposts. THAT is how he got the .22 rifle and the ammo.

Moreland only had a gun the last couple of years in the boonies. He was out there 12-1/2 years, from the fall of 1932 till the spring of 1945.

Not only did he NOT have a silencer at all, or even a gun but for the last two years, but he also used a sleeping bag (GK take note) which he had pilfered. He also slept a lot in hollow logs (Moreland was a small man).

Bill Moreland was once asked what he missed the most during his first few years, and he DIDN'T say a firearm. He said what he was missing but needed the most was something to sew with.

He began to regularly pilfer forestry lookoput posts and cabins and kept a homemade key that allowed him to open their locks. What pissed the forest service off the most (they had a bit more common sense back then) wasn't his use of the supplies, as those supplies were also there for any that really needed them, but the fact that he always made a big mess and he was becoming a noticable nuisance. He was a disgusting, filthy pig and always left everything trashed and disgustingly soiled, like a wild animal. There was an impressive chase and it took the best trackers the forestry service had to track him down.

He was 44 years old and he was put into a home for indigent people. He was diagnosed with some mental health problems. After a few run-in's with the law over the next few years, he eventually took off into the Sawtooth Mountains again and never came back.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Interesting story, I guess he would be the hero of someone with mental health problems. Given the smaller population base of North America 70 years ago, it is not surprising that a skilled woodsman could achieve that. Gunkid is not a skilled woodsman, and will never become one without knowledge acquired on field exercises longer than 1/2 day. Gunkid should study, afterall he can't own a firearm. Unlike us.

G

·
I've killed over 80 deer and elk with a .308. So what? And I did alot of them way way past any range a .22 lr could do it. And some were running, and MOST of them were taken shooting off hand. So gunkid thinks bringing up some hermit psycho somehow makes gunkid big?

Let me tell you a story.

Onetime gunkid was in Africa with his wife (you know who.)

They were way way deep in the boondocks where the headhunters were. Very big black fearsome headhunters. One day his wife notices the headhunters have real long peckers.

She asked how do they get that long. The headhunter told her they tie rocks onto them and over time it streches them.

When they got back to the USA she told gunkid about this and asked him to try it (he has a real short dude.)

So he tied a 5 lb rock to his ding-aling.

Week went by.

He was in the shower (he showers once a week) and she asked him how the streach job was working out. He said it worked half way.

She asked, "what do you mean half way"?

Gunkid said, "well it turned black."

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
unlike you, i don't NEED to be Made Big. :) The entire point is to show how FAR/long you can last with "just" a silenced AR15 in 223, with a lb or so of .22lr ammo and a lb or so of 223 ammo. You just lack the insight to figure that out. so I'll spell it out for you. You won't be carrying enough 308 ammo around to match that foraging/fighting potential, and you won't be using a suppressor and still have a 308 that's got ANY range advantage over a shorty 223 (for fighting).

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Gunkid, even if I only have 100 rds of .308 (whatever), it is 100 more rounds than you have. Your AR only lives in your fantasy world, doesn't it? Your suppressor only lives in its fantasy world, correct?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts