Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back from a match and 5 days in the land of no Wi Fi. First day we shot long range, while I did better than last year, I'm still not spending enough time shooting past 150 yards these day. The next 3 days we shot main match, had 9 good stages and 3 that I wasn't so happy with. When the gun smoke cleared, in overall time I beat my wife by 3.5 seconds. Now that is cutting it close. So what new here?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Morning. I’ve been stuck doing a lot less than usual for the past month; had foot surgery in late July and been semi-gimped since then. Today the pins are supposed to come out, so hopefully that means the end of the gimp era is close.

Gun-wise, I’ve been looking for people to do a really good action job and short-stroke conversion on my 1873 rifle. The one that seems to come up most often on SASS forums is the “Cody-Matic” action job from sass shooter ‘Cody Conagher’, but I was hoping to find someone local to do the work. Only one guy within an hour of me, and he said it would be near Christmas before he might be able to get it back to me. So I called the number on the Cody Conagher Cody-Matic website ( codyscowboyshop.com ) and talked to him direct. He seems like he really knows what he’s doing and was more interested in asking what I wanted than telling me what I needed; and also said it would only be a 2-3 week turnaround time. So I’ll probably send it off to him in the next few days.

Also still waiting on the CMMG Resolute lower that was ordered in April, but I wouldn’t have been able to do any recreational shooting lately anyway, so it doesn’t really matter much that it isn’t here yet. Only shooting I’ve done at all recently was an armadillo tearing up the driveway a week or so ago.

Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I got a shock when I heard the Administration banned Russian Ammunition imports. But thinking it through there's plenty of 7.62X39 and 9 MM X18 out there and I haven't bought "Russian" in years. I still have four can's of Russian 7.62 X 39 unopened. It's corrosive but that just means a little more attention to cleaning. I'm still topping of my .45 and 9MM whenever I shoot .45 or 9mma I usually re-order from a place like Natchez. It's high, but at least they don't screw you on shipping.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Nothing very intriguing or exciting.
Been dealing with a minor outbreak of Murphy's Law it seems for the past month but nothing bad.
And maybe a couple of good things.
Nothing much Firearms related can't even lay my hands on a Taurus TX22 standard model yet the optics ready one just to get a feel for it.
So I assume that it's pretty popular.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Nothing very intriguing or exciting.
Been dealing with a minor outbreak of Murphy's Law it seems for the past month but nothing bad.
And maybe a couple of good things.
Nothing much Firearms related can't even lay my hands on a Taurus TX22 standard model yet the optics ready one just to get a feel for it.
So I assume that it's pretty popular.
Yeah, I hear you. I let my best Friend shoot a couple hundred rounds out of one of my TX22's and he fell in lust with it. I told him I'd find him one and I can't! Little Towns ACE Hardware had a dozen and sold them out in a month. Now back ordered.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Our LGS is surprisingly well stocked on pistols, especially defensive type pistols in 9mm. Don't know if it's luck or just him being somehow smarter than most, but he's so well stocked that I'm holding off on putting a couple more guns out on consignment. He almost literally doesn't have room on the shelves, already have three guns of mine in there as it is, and I'd rather mine not get lost in the crowd any more than they already are.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking of parting with my advantage arms .22 set up and going with the TX22 for practice.
Mainly because I'd rather rub drills with actual 15rd magazines than 10rd ones. If I ever go back to another AA kit for a Glock it might be one for the 26, if I don't go for a 43!😁
My problem is I have not been haunting gunshops as much as I used to.
And I've got a whole mess of non gun projects to handle.
Last week or so I've felt constantly tired and couldn't sleep well until last night.
Now I'm taking a short break to avoid heat exhaustion

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking of parting with my advantage arms .22 set up and going with the TX22 for practice.
Same here. I like the TX22 so well, I sold my sig mosquito and the 1911 .22LR conversion kit is out on consignment right now.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
In the vein of "what's new", was just informed that one more gun sold; this one a double-stack 1911 (or maybe '2011'..?) 9mm & 22TCM combo. Since I was going to pick up the money for it, I went ahead and dropped off the Uberti levergun at the same time to be shipped off for a Cody-Matic action job.

On the more disappointing end of the spectrum, was supposed to get some pins removed from my foot yesterday afternoon, but after taking a fresh x-ray the doctor decided they should wait one more week. So yay for that...

• Sad

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Never had foot surgery yet. Got either a matching set of "Tailor's Bunions" or fallen arches on my feet and RA.
Well except some minor skin scrapping.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
It was nothing critical or emergency or anything, just fixing some hammertoe issues. Had them forever, but they get worse as time goes by and it was just time. One of my brothers had his done 30+ years ago; I should have followed his lead probably, and had mine done earlier also.

The pins are longer than I realized. I thought they would run from the tip of the toe to the main toe 'knuckle' where the toes join the foot. When I saw the x-ray I snagged a pic of it because I was surprised how long they really are; running halfway to the ankle or close to it.

Am intrigued to see what (if anything) this does to shoe fit; hopefully not much. I can't afford to go up much more in size.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Me it's diabetic shoes, socks and custom fit insoles.
Technically I'm not being treated for RA, yet. Food plan for RA and natural antiinflammatories help.
Plus gabapentin for the nerve damage, largely automatic nerves.

But as I said before I'm not letting it stop me.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Also still waiting on the CMMG Resolute lower that was ordered in April, but I wouldn’t have been able to do any recreational shooting lately anyway, so it doesn’t really matter much that it isn’t here yet.
Got an automated email today that the order status changed from 'backordered' to 'in production'; then got a personal email from one of their people that it's going into production now and should ship in 1-3 weeks or so. Right now, the Resolute upper is on a standard AR lower and uses Pmags with gut-replacement kits to use 9mm in them. When this Resolute-specific lower comes in, it will free that AR lower to go back on the gun I pilfered it from, plus it means the the Resolute will use normal Glock 9mm mags. Not only are they a lot smaller for the same number of rounds, but it will then be able to share mags with the pistol as well.

Will still be several more weeks before it arrives, but glad to finally see movement on it.

When I was in the gunshop today picking up the money from the Papoose that sold, they had a Norinco Mak-90 there that about stopped me in my tracks. It was nothing especially great or bad, just a good-shape Mak-90. With three magazines and 230 rounds of ammo, they had a price on it of $1279. The only 7.62x39 I have left after selling off all these guns is a Mak-90 that I paid $159 for back in 1992 iirc. I've kept it as a 'just in case' spare kind of thing, since one of my sons does have a Romanian AK. But if they're going for those kind of prices, I'm seriously thinking I may dig it out and put it out on consignment along with a bunch of magazines and ammo next week. :confused:

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
That's another reminder of the preban sidefolder I had. My first AK and it was a new Polytec Side Folder 🙄.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Killed another stinking armadillo last night in the driveway. That makes three armadillos and one possum (and one more armadillo that I missed) in the last 8-10 days; all at night when I just happened to go outside for something else. They're like the plague this year.

Contrary to some theoretical ballisticians, modern 147-grain 9mm hollowpoints and even 90-grain .380 hollowpoints are both more than adequate for those size animals.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Killed another stinking armadillo last night in the driveway. That makes three armadillos and one possum (and one more armadillo that I missed) in the last 8-10 days; all at night when I just happened to go outside for something else. They're like the plague this year.

Contrary to some theoretical ballisticians, modern 147-grain 9mm hollowpoints and even 90-grain .380 hollowpoints are both more than adequate for those size animals.
You mean they didn't just splatter on the body of the armadillo like it was AR500?!
I'm shocked I tell you shocked!
You'd think an armoured terror like that would only fall to 35.75gr split nose pre-frag extra hard cast loaded to hypersonic speed.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I don't kill Possums or Raccoons because I don't like sleeping in the garage. My Wife puts up with a lot, target range near the house, yearly Deer butchered on the picnic table, things like that. BUT she is a big animal lover and is currently putting out more food for her "Cat Colony" so there's more for the Raccoons to eat. I've only shot one Raccoon near the house and that one was clearly Rabid. AK at 20 yards worked well. You have to give and take in a marriage, but $9000.00 for an operation on a stray Cat that had got hit by a car? Also, a strange thing, I don't know if I posted this before, but I did kill a larger feral Tom Cat with my Wife's approval.. He was a Murderer! He would kill any male cat that became part of the colony. I found kittens with their heads torn off by him and I caught him pinning one of the Males to the ground in process of ripping his throat out. Ruger 10/22 with a CCI HV HP ended his reign of terror. We trapped and neutered the five Cat's remaining in the colony and I asked a Vet about the killer Cat. She told me this is far from uncommon and Male Cat's often kill any other Males including Kittens.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I only kill the ones that are being destructive, disruptive, or attacking the cats. I've looked at surveillance footage & watched possums come to the house at night for no other reason than to attack the cats. (We have two cats, and I love those little retards.) There was no food out there to fight over, no objective reason for their behavior other than just being jerks. If they would live their lives in the woods, even woods on our property, I'd leave them completely alone. We've only cleared maybe 9 acres of our 40, only use probably 4 out of the 40 on a regular basis, and they can have the 35 or so that we're not using. But they (especially the armadillos) can't resist tearing up our gravel driveway, and digging holes in the yard big enough to drop a canteloupe in.

Not our yard, just a pic I found online:
Plant Grass Groundcover Shrub Grassland

We don't raise livestock but we've had more than one family member have a cow break a leg in those, and one calf found dead one time with both front legs stuck in one.

My wife's an animal lover (often to the point of irrationality), but seeing the problems they've created over the years, she actually calls me to kill them anytime she sees one anymore. One night after dark a week or so ago, she told me there was something on the back porch. I looked out the window and saw a possum. When I opened the door, it immediately ran under my truck and then away on the other side, so I didn't shoot at it. Deciding to waif a few minutes to see if it came back around, after just 2-3 minutes, I saw two armadillos near the tractor just a few yards away that I hadn't initially seen. Only got one of them. (The second one ran away pretty quick, where the ground swells uphill some in the direction of a neighbor's chicken barn, so I didn't try a shot)

I'm somewhat of an animal lover - I love those stupid cats, the horses, the neighbor's dog, etc. But in our world, an armadillo, raccon or possum is like a copperhead, tick or black widow. If they stay in the woods we leave them alone. If they encroach on the house, they can't be tolerated.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
...I've only shot one Raccoon near the house and that one was clearly Rabid. AK at 20 yards worked well.
Gotta call BS on that one. I've read that an AK is the choice of lames, stupes, and ignorant peasants. No way it's adequate for the mighty raccoon. ;)

On the topic of AK's, I actually took my old Mak-90 to the gunshop to put on consignment this morning. The gun, six steel 30-round magazines and 240 rounds of russian Wolf HP ammo, they recommended a price of around $1300; I told them to put it at $1239. (They already have one used Mak-90 on the shelf at $1279.) I only paid (iirc) $159 for the stupid thing 27-28 years ago.

...but $9000.00 for an operation on a stray Cat that had got hit by a car?
Oy. As much as I love our cats, just no. My wife & kids, sure. Other people, some yes & some no. Our animals, no. I know people that do that stuff, but I don't think it'll ever be me. That same $9000 could feed a whole lot of hurricane refugees for a month; I can't see trading them for a cat.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Armadillos, possums, racoons and feral cats.
Don't stay long around here.

That's why later this year I want to get one of those bew Taurus TX22's with the threaded barrel and base for an optic. One LGS is sticking a .22 suppressor for only $100! I want to check it out. Probably find away to do a test drive. Or just form1 a solvent trap.
Growing up here decades ago I had a Ruger MKII target I named Curiosity for morbidly obvious reasons.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts