Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Gotta call BS on that one. I've read that an AK is the choice of lames, stupes, and ignorant peasants. No way it's adequate for the mighty raccoon. ;)

On the topic of AK's, I actually took my old Mak-90 to the gunshop to put on consignment this morning. The gun, six steel 30-round magazines and 240 rounds of russian Wolf HP ammo, they recommended a price of around $1300; I told them to put it at $1239. (They already have one used Mak-90 on the shelf at $1279.) I only paid (iirc) $159 for the stupid thing 27-28 years ago.

Oy. As much as I love our cats, just no. My wife & kids, sure. Other people, some yes & some no. Our animals, no. I know people that do that stuff, but I don't think it'll ever be me. That same $9000 could feed a whole lot of hurricane refugees for a month; I can't see trading them for a cat.
Yes, that's a rational, common sense attitude that I wholly concur with and the Cat got operated on anyway. And you got me. It actually was a 10.5 inch barreled auto rifle using a can and a ,22 unit with spit nosed bullets.

• Haha
Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
...And you got me. It actually was a 10.5 inch barreled auto rifle using a can and a ,22 unit with spit nosed bullets.
Okay; that makes more sense. I remember the first armadillo I killed with a 147-grain 9mm JHP - after all the negative info I'd read on those types of bullets, I fully expected the monstrous 15-lb behemoth to just flip me off & walk away. But apparently nobody told him that normal bullets were inadequate so now he's just as dead as the rest of them. :)

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Fwiw, the little retards that (for whatever reason) possums love picking a fight with:
Cat Bombay Felidae Carnivore Dog breed

Siblings from the same litter a year & a half ago, born in our garage & never lived anywhere but with us. Gray on the left is my baby girl. Coal on the right is pretty simple (as males tend to be...) but a surprisingly good hunter; he's always bringing us something nasty & dead.

We had another cat before these, but she never got used to these new ones living there, and now mostly lives in the woods, only occasionally coming up near the house anymore. Anyway, that's the "homeless black kids" we adopted last year.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Fwiw, the little retards that (for whatever reason) possums love picking a fight with:
View attachment 14069

Siblings from the same litter a year & a half ago, born in our garage & never lived anywhere but with us. Gray on the left is my baby girl. Coal on the right is pretty simple (as males tend to be...) but a surprisingly good hunter; he's always bringing us something nasty & dead.

We had another cat before these, but she never got used to these new ones living there, and now mostly lives in the woods, only occasionally coming up near the house anymore. Anyway, that's the "homeless black kids" we adopted last year.
Yours don't look like barn cat's ours do. Mellow, the expensive one.
Cat Vertebrate Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
I'd have had to name that one "CC" - makes me think of Cookies & Cream ice cream. 🤠

Other than having to watch for predators like coyotes & feral dogs, ours have a pretty easy life for country cats. They do a lot of country/woods stuff like killing snakes, moles, mice, etc, but they also spend a lot of time on the back patio where that pic was taken, and they even have a room of their own they can come & go from; where we feed them and where they can go to get away from bad weather, coyotes, etc. Just a normal cat door on an outdoor storage room that doesn't enter into the house itself. I even bug-bombed it for them this past weekend, since we're abnormally overrun with spiders this year.

Their back yard to play in, when mom & dad aren't home to watch them:
Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Land lot

While our property only runs a quarter mile or so in that direction (just 39 or 40 acres depending on whose survey you trust), being in an inholding surrounded by wildlife management area means that it's almost completely uninhabited in that direction for over six miles. I looked on Google Earth, and drawing a circle with a half-mile radius from our front door, there are only 11 people living in that one-mile circle, and 8 of those 11 are my wife's cousins. Love being that far from crowds, at least for the immediate future.

{edit - that's 11 people other than my wife & me. So 13 people total in that one-mile circle.}

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
This is Shadow named not only for his color but for how he used to follow my mother around like her shadow when she was alive.
Cat Eye Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats

And yeah he's about as onry as he looks.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Ed - I hope Shadow is friendly. Frankly he's giving me Johnny Darko flashbacks...

• Haha

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
He's friendly with people he recognizes.

A lot of times despite his age he's got more balls than brains.
For example one night almost a month ago I opened the front door just in time to see him in hot pursuit of a juvenile Raccoon!
I yelled "Shadow you Idiot! Get back here!" He actually slid to a stop and at least turned around and gave a combo hurt/PO'ed look like only a cat will do. Then I followed up with "You probably were about to run into an ambush!"
I'd chased off 3-4 of them about the same age. All he needed to do was chase that one into a group of them and get torn to pieces.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
This is almost getting genuinely silly. Got home about an hour ago, and killed another armadillo in the yard, this one digging up dirt at the edge of the driveway just 20 feet or so from the house. I’m thinking that this weekend I may use them as an opportunity to give the night vision and IR laser some more testing.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yesterday morning my youngest daughter gave birth my newest grandson at 8 pounds 7 ounces. Mother and father are doing great.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Congrats. We don't have grandkids yet.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Congratulations Garand! Make sure you spoil your Grandkids so they're a trial to their Parents like they were to you! My two are coming over for the weekend with their two Dog's, a Labrador and a Shit zu so life is going to be lively around here.
Organ Fun Leisure Calabaza Cucurbita

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Got an automated email today that the order status changed from 'backordered' to 'in production'; then got a personal email from one of their people that it's going into production now and should ship in 1-3 weeks or so. Right now, the Resolute upper is on a standard AR lower and uses Pmags with gut-replacement kits to use 9mm in them. When this Resolute-specific lower comes in, it will free that AR lower to go back on the gun I pilfered it from, plus it means the the Resolute will use normal Glock 9mm mags. Not only are they a lot smaller for the same number of rounds, but it will then be able to share mags with the pistol as well...
The Resolute 9mm lower showed up Monday, so I went ahead & messed with some. So far, liking it a lot. Not a true exact duplicate of my main 223 since it's using glock mags now, but fairly close; and can always be swapped back to the normal AR lower if desired.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Was a little bored yesterday, and the weather is starting to get a bit colder, so I decided if I wanted to get anymore trigger time before snow falls I better get my butt moving. So I headed out to the range for a "make brass day". 140 rds of 6.5x55 cast bullets (iron sights) at a 12"x 5" steel plate at 100 yds and 60 rds through my S&W 625. It was a nice change to be shooting for a change without a timer sounding off next to you. Hopefully I can get a couple more "make brass days" before the real bad weather shuts us down.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
...went ahead and dropped off the Uberti levergun at the same time to be shipped off for a Cody-Matic action job.
It was 23 days ago that I dropped off the levergun for its action job, but I found out from the gunshop they didn't ship it for 'several days' after I gave it to them; so not sure exactly when they sent it, but definitely less than three weeks either way, probably 18-19 days. I got an email from Cody yesterday, and he says it'll be shipping back to me (really to the gunshop) tomorrow. So pretty good turnaround time. Definitely looking forward to it. As nice a gun as it is, I just don't like the feel of an 1873 action as much as I do the 1892 style. Hopefully this will bridge that gap.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Personally, I felt the same way initially about the M73, I don't know maybe the different style/configuration. I got over it real soon as I realized that it was faster shooting than the M92 and I no longer have to worry about "stovepipes", which have caused me a number of problems throughout the years. Now it feels like poetry in motion. In 5 years I have had only 1 problem which was with the side plate coming loose earlier this year, this winter I'll try a bit of Blue Locktite to sort that problem out.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts