Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mosin Nagant????????????

I have “need” to buy another gun ( I’m sure all yall get the feeling) and got to think about a old military surplus bolt action I am really new to surplus guns and know very little about them. I want a gun that can take a beating. I also like simple guns. So here are some questions I have.

Is the mosin a reliable gun?
Are they safe.?
How is the accuracy?
Are they good for hunting?
Is ammo easy to find?
And last what modal should I get?

I was looking at a Russian M91/30 Mosin Nagant for $75 is that a good deal.

Thanks, :)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I'd get the M44, it's a shorter, handier rifle.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Gun_crazy_JR said:
I want a gun that can take a beating. I also like simple guns.
Both describe the Mosin.

Is the mosin a reliable gun?
Very. They operate well in sub tropical to arctic environments.

Are they safe.?
Pretty much. Haven't had one out of spec yet. Generally, they are overbuilt and tough as nails

How is the accuracy?
Generally 2-4 MOA. Bring a bore light and checke the bore. Some come with very good bores and shoot well.

Are they good for hunting?
Absolutely. Shot two hogs this year with the Barnaul 203-gr Sp ammo and they went right down.

Is ammo easy to find?
Fairly, most gun shops will have new Wolf or Barnaul ammo, Mil-surp is plentiful. Czech 147-gr Silvertip is very good ammo, it is steel-core AP ammo, and some ranges don't allow it. Standard ball ammo is also available as is heavy ball.

And last what modal should I get?
I was looking at a Russian M91/30 Mosin Nagant for $75 is that a good deal.
From a gun shop? Check it out. If it's in good condition with a good bore, that's a good deal.

The 91/30s are long rifles. If you can stand a decent sized rifle, these are great, and you'll probably get your best accuracy from them. They also use a real mean 17" bayonet.

The M38s are a shorter rifle. Many call them carbines, but with their 20" barrels, they really are rifles, albeit shorter than the 91/30. It has no provision for a bayonet, as it was designed as a cavalry rifle.

The M44s are the same length as teh M38, but have a semi-permanently attached bayonet.

Most Mosins come with accessories including an oil bottle, ammo pouch, bayonet (for the 91/30s) firing pin gauge, cleaning rod handle.

The M91/30 and M44 were sighted in with bayonets fixed (extended in teh case of the M44) and will often not shoot to the sights if the bayonet is left off, or is not extended. They were also sighted in for 147-gr ammo, the heavier stuff will shoot high.

As for which model, it depends on you. If you want to hunt without a bayonet, or just don't like bayonets, choose the M38, they make cheap, effective truck guns, and you can hunt well with them. If you don't mind a bayonet, choose an M44. They are usually in better condition, and mine have suprisingly excellent triggers. The M91/30 is for those that like long rifles and are fine handling, steady rifles to shoot.

I really like all 3. An M38 rides as my truck gun, and impromptu hunting gun.
I prefer the M91/30 because I like long rifles. The M44. . .well, it handles great and brought home the bacon, twice this year.

A couple of caveats:
1.) This is a full-power battle rifle cartridge and it does kick with those emtla buttplates. This will not feel like a .22. I don't know what you're used to, but think .30-06 from a light rifle.
2.) The laquered steel cases can melt the laquer and make the bolt difficult to operate if you fire a lot fo rounds in succession. A lot of this is cured by taking a 20 ga brass brush, chucking it in a hand drill, and polishing out the chamber. Or just take it slower firing.
3.) They multiply. They're like Lays potato chips, you can't have just one.

You won't find a better rifle for the money. In fact, since they are so inexpensive, you'll probably end up doing what most people do and buy at least one copy of the three major models. If you want to start a nice rifle collection, collecting Mosins is the best avenue for those on a limited budget.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Magnum 88C covered it. The windage is Son-of a Batch to change, but the rifle is built like a tank. Kicks like a mule. (My M44) I would almost suggest a Yugoslavian 8mm Mauser because practice ammunition is dirt cheap and the dollar amount for the rifle is not that much greater. SOG has them for $90.00. That being said, if the rifle is in good condition, the bore, I mean, don't worry about the dings in the stock, it sounds fair to me.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I gave up such foolishness over 20 years ago. When I was dealing, and making 4k a week, the equivalent of 10k a week today, I tried pretty much everything, and wasnt impressed with any of it. When you've already had the best, everything else is just second rate.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
andy said:
I gave up such foolishness over 20 years ago. When I was dealing, and making 4k a week, the equivalent of 10k a week today, I tried pretty much everything, and wasnt impressed with any of it. When you've already had the best, everything else is just second rate.
Hold on here, john, on another Forum you said the "Nagant" was a good idea, what changed?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
andy said:

Gun_crazy_JR, see now this is what dealing dope does for you. You spend most of your adult life in prison, and your brain melts to the point that you think overloaded pot-metal handguns and cut-down emasculated rifles are "the best", then you might even go so far as to believe that you've actually HAD them. . .

Personally, Gun_crazy_JR, I think you're on the right track, much better to deal in Mil Surps than to deal in dope, as our resident example has shown.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
So tell us Gunkid, how much did you make last week? How much is that monthly SSI cheque? $800.00 a month? WOW a whole $200.00 a week for just sitting on your butt, wasting fresh air! impressive.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
You never made $4,000.00 a week, you were a low-level dealer that probably cleared $800 to $900 per week plus what you stuck up your nose. But let's look at it. Say did make $1,000 per week. You dealt for less than three years. Let's say 36 months. $4,000 times 36 is $144,000. Pretty impressive, right? Now divide that by the 162 months you spent in prison. Wow! You made a whole $888.88 per month, pretty close to your SSI. God, the convict mentality!

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
I love "new math" :laugh01: :laugh01: :laugh01: :laugh01:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I have the M38 with the laminated stock. The Nagants are totally neat rifles. But ... if I had to do it over again I would first get an Enfield No4 MK1 SMLE and learn to reload. Its superior to the Nagant and I have fired a few. The SMLE is the superior rifle (and no, I don't have one yet but will have).

Best

RIKA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts