Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this belongs here, but does anyone have any experience with these? Found them on sale at Midway USA and bought a couple to extend the season a bit for my son and I. Definitly makes the Mossberg 500 a versatlie gun.

Mark

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've never seen an actual shotgun conversion barrel but everything I've heard about them says that they go bang. Only advice I can give you is this.....they are illegal to hunt with in WV. I'm sure other states are the same way. Make sure you check yours before you lay down the cash.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Flinter. The NY regs say that a muzzleloader is a firearm that's loaded from the muzzle and at least .44 caliber.

Nobody tell Chuck Schumer that West Virginia has more restrictive gun laws than New York!

Mark

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
MetMan said:
Nobody tell Chuck Schumer that West Virginia has more restrictive gun laws than New York!Mark
That scares me to think about it :bomb: .....

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I've thought about them, but i've always wondered how they fared. How about a range report when you get around to it?
KJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KJ,

Will do. I've got to hand it to Mossberg--for less than $400 I've got a defensive gun, deer gun, field gun, and a black powder rifle. $249 field/deer combo at Dicks and two barrels from Midway USA!

Mark

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I'm a BIG Mossberg fan already....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but, can you strap one of these black powder conversion barrels to a 590A-1? Just curious...it would give me something else to toy around with(assuming I ever get the money for the 590:shrugs:). Thanks guys.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Barrels on Mossberg shotguns are held in place by a threaded knob that screws into the magazine tube, because of the extra length on that tube on the 590, regular 500 barrels will not fit on the 590. Having read this post and others by you, you might want to take a harder look at a 500. The primary difference between the 2 is 6 rounds versus 9 rounds in the magazine tube. You could get a 500 muzzleloader/ deer (rifled slug), deer/ field (Accu-set choke) or a field/ security (18 1/2" cylinder bore) combo and have a great setup. Here are a couple of pictures so you can see the difference:

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ah, thank you grumpy. I appreciate the adt'l info. I may well have to go with a 500. There's just too much fun stuff you can do with it and not with the 590. I guess I was a little blinded by the whole "Marine" shotgun thing. I doubt I'm going to use a defensive shotgun all that heavily under normal circumstances so, 500 may well be the way to go. Leave it set up for HD unless I want to take it out hunting...which is right up the 500's alley. I do love the interchangeable barrel concept. Multiple guns for the price of new barrels...nice. Much obliged.
Oh, I do have another question, though. Can you hunt with an easily removable magazine plug or, is it one of those things that they want to be permanently attached?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Magazine plugs for the 500 are very simple. A piece of wooden dowel with a rubber O ring on it. To install it just slide the slide to the rear, remove the barrel and drop it in the hole the barrel knob screws into. To remove it, remove the barrel the same way, tilt the reciever muzzle end down, shake slightly and the dowel will fall out the hole. The sole purpose of the O ring is just to keep the dowel from falling out and rattleing and making noise. You have to check local and state laws as to when you need to have it plugged and when you don't. Some states or localities only limit it to three rounds when hunting birds, others limit all hunting to three. So do a little research...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts