Arms Locker banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Porting a shotgun does nothing to reduce recoil like it does in a rifle; there simply isn't enough pressure at that end of the barrel. In theory you will actually increase the recoil very slightly because your gun is now lighter. Either way, you're going to piss off the people shooting next to you!

You could spend the money you save by buying a plain 590 or 500 on shells or a shooting course.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Again, thx guys. I think my best choice is to just go with a bead. While I like the sound of red dot sights I don't really like them, myself. Something about battery powered optics just doesn't feel right, to me. Thank you for the suggestion though, grumpy. I do have a question for shooter...does not having ghost rings mean I don't need to transfer it to an FFL or does having them just mean it's harder to get an FFL to accept the transfer? I'm not really clear on that one. I'll admit, I haven't checked into it and honestly, hadn't thought about it. I'm not clear on the laws regarding the shipping of a shotgun. Also, thanks, coyote. I hadn't thought about the noise issue. I can imagine firing a shot in my narrow hallway and having all the blast form the porting reverberate off the walls and blow out my eardrums. Also, I hadn't really thought about a shooting course, either. I think a combat shotgun course and a good deal of range time would be money well spent. Now I just have to find someone who teaches that type of course in my area... Well, thanks again guys. You've been a big help and if anyone's got any more suggestions or just some little gems of wisdom, feel free. It all helps.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you are going to purchase a firearm from any state and have it shipped to you, you have to have it shipped to FFL holder. A lot of gunshops and pawnshops have a flat fee or a percentage they charge for receiving a firearm and then doing the paperwork to transfer it to you. It is not the ghost ring sights that cause that, it is the transfer of a weapon and actually the part that contains the serial number.

·
Registered
246 Posts
heliophobic1 - I am sorry for confusing the issue. The reason I gave you the site for the ghost ring sights shotgun is that most dealers do not stock that gun, let alone know that you can get it that way from the factory. The bead site option should be had pretty easily in your area. If not you should be able to find one on gunbroker.com. If you cannot find what you want let us know and we can find one on the web for you somewhere. Just make sure that you can find a dealer to do the transfer. Some dealers are getting pretty touchy about transfers again, trying to keep people from doing their own looking so they can charge "retail" prices.

As far as ear protection you will always wear that at a range. In a HD situation you should not wear it. You will want to hear every whisper in your home when traipsing around with a deadly weapon. You must fully identify by sound and then sight your target before you pull the trigger. Yes you will be deafened but that is better than shooting your drunk brother your sister-in-law threw out at three in the morning (just for example).

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
If your local area is anything like mine, you're likely to find 30 or more shotguns to choose from at gun or pawn shops. In fact, few of them around here will buy one from you anymore because they have so many in stock. Of course, that also means they're cheap.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I wish it was that way around here. I stopped at a pawn shop today. They had an OLY AR15 with a pinned on flash suppressor that they wanted $1595.95 for and a Ruger Security Six for $399.99. When asked if I could be help I said I was interested but I thought that their prices might be a little high for me. The guy behind the counter said their prices stayed that way until the price of gas came down. Needless to say I walked out. Heck I can get new guns cheaper than that.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just looked on http://froogle.gunbroker.com/ and did a search for "Mossberg 590" and found they had 2 pages worth of available 590s of all different variants. They seem to be running between $300 and $400.
One thing I have been wondering about is the Knoxx recoil absorbing stocks. They are available in adjustable, fixed and breacher's pistol grip. Has anybody ever used one? Are they effective? Do they feel like they are loose or floppy? Everything I have seen from Blackhawk has been well designed. Since they bought the company, I am guessing they believe it is a well designed product. here is the catalog page: http://www.blackhawk.com/category1.asp?D=D0087&S=S0739&G=&C=&N=1&pricestart=&priceend=

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I can't say out of pesonal experience, but I hear they are very good. Nice and tight and cuts down on the felt recoil. The only negatives I hear about them is the price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just picked up a used 590A1 from a member on another board for $350.00. It is the plain jane version with just a bead front sight, but it has a full length mag tube, so it will hold a total of 8 rounds of 2-3/4" shells. plus one more in the chamber. The only additions I am thinking of adding to it on down the road are a side saddle and possibly a speedfeed stock. Other than that, I think this shotgun is pretty good as is for HD use. I love my 590A1, but I probably would be just as happy with a standard 590. The difference being that the 590A1 has a heavy walled barrel, aluminum trigger group and safety. I am not sure if all of that is super important or not, with the exception of maybe the safety. I have heard of folks reporting that the plastic safety is prone to breaking. If you have a Big 5 sporting goods near you, then you know they sell the blued version for around $350.00 or even less on sale.

590A1 goodness:D:

Set up to "Repel boarders"!:

Prior to getting the 590A1, I had converted my 835 Ulti-Mag into an HD shotgun with the addition of an 18.5" barrel, a mag extension and new forend. Now she will handle (7+1) 2-3/4" or (6+1) 3" shells or (5+1) 3-1/2" shells. I think it makes a great companion to my 590A1....

This is how she looked when I started:

And this is how she turned out when I finished:

The "Lads":

"Here's looking at you":

·
Registered
3 Posts
My employer keeps me qualified with the Mossberg 500A; main difference from the 590 is a two round shorter magazine.

Compared to the pump guns I used to shoot skeet and trap with (870, Win M-12) I prefer the Mossy. I think its more combat capable, esp with the ghost ring sights. 100 yd slug shots are no difficulty. We use 000 buck rather than 00.

Just do not disassemble the two-piece bolt. Even our Mossberg certified armorer cringes at that...:wavey:

·
Registered
22 Posts
go for the 590A1, mine has been utterly reliable,(4000rnds of,buck and sluggers) no crap here. FWIW it seems to recoil a bit harder.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts