Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been looking at a home defense/tactical shotgun. I originally had my eyes on a Saiga 12, but its slowly becoming ugly to me, and not being able to find one I like(collapse stock, pistol grip) that isnt overpriced.

Tonight I was in Dicks Sporting Goods, and while waiting for the clerk, the Mossberg 930 and Remington 870(both in tactical form) were there. Upon research I saw the M930 was semi-auto, and with an extension tube a 7+1 home defense.

Was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them, how reliable they are. Been finding them reasonably priced on gunbroker with extension tube.

Thanks, Corey

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I don't know about that particular model, but Mossberg has consistently made reliable weapons over the years. I believe that the Mossberg Mariner model was U.S. Navy issue for a time.

I can say that I would have no reservations about betting my life on a Mossberg product.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have a basic Mossberg 12g for hunting/skeet, but wasnt sure how well the semi-auto function was on this.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The Mossberg 590A-1 is still the standard-issue shotgun for the marines so, you can wager they do make a good product. Now, on the topic of their semi-auto reliability...that's going to depend heavily upon your load. It takes a lot of energy to cycle the action on a shotgun so, low-recoil rounds could prove troublesome as most are probably calibrated for full power rounds. Some have no trouble with lite loads but, I would imagine that those weapons would receive a good deal of frame battering from a full power or +p type of load. Less than lethal and flare rounds won't cycle the action on any semi-auto 12ga that I'm aware of.
Now, can someone tell me: what is the advantage of semi-auto shotguns? You don't gain much firing speed over a pump but you do lose some degree of reliability and I believe often gain some in weight. Why make those sacrifices? I can't seem to see the reason. I still prefer a good old double barrel and pistol combo for HD, myself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up going back to the gun show and bought it. First thing I did to it was removed the dowel, was limiting me to 2+1, now its a 4+1. Now my task is to find a site that isnt down for service that sells the choate extension tube.

You actually gain a lot of speed with this shotgun, and with 8rds (w/extension), its a nasty combo. Just hitup youtube and type in mossberg 930....very nice stuff.

The gun is lighter then my other mossberg, but thats due to synthetic stock vs wood, and having a 18.5" barrel over the 28".

Went to the range to sight in the new eotech for my ar, wanted to shoot a few rounds out of the shotgun, but range officials said slugs only. Hopefully soon I can take it out and put a few shells through it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts