Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What will be the most available ammo if SHTF?

Nato stuff, domestic hunting cartridges, militay cartridges etc? Who will be on our soil and what will be available?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Well, the billions upon billions of .22LR rounds produced and purchased each year, give it good claim to that.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'll say .22lr for the rimfire folks, and centerfire is going to have several VERY common calibres:
Listed, in no particular order:
9x19mm
.45ACP
30-30
30-06
7.62x51mm/.308
7.62x39
5.56x45mm/.223

30-30 is kind of iffy, though. It's not used as much as it used to be.:(

·
Registered
779 Posts
A few days back I was thinking the same thing of the .30-30 but I still see a bunch of it when I look in the brass-bucket at the public range.

I still would have to say it's still popular in the more back-woods and woooded areas of the USA. Despit the 7.62x39 and the cheaper milsurp bolt actions making a dent in it's sales.
The main problem is that the days of the cheap used .30-30 rifle are pretty much gone.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
half of the rds made or imported here

are .22 rimfire, and that DOES include shotshells. So the .22lr is many, many times more likely to be found than ANY other caliber. Also, it's so cheap, lw, compact, and effective for MOST things that it will be FAR more commonly CARRIED, and thus, more likely to be found on the dead. The BILLIONS of rds of 223 in the Nat'l Guard armories will be out and available (from the dead) or be broken-into. It is so lw, compact, effective, etc, that it will be the choice of many, even tho they "think" it's not as "good" as the .30 caliber rd (that they CAN''T carry enough of) The threaded muzzle of the AR's and M16's will probably mean a lot of those guns WILL be suppressed, either now or later, perhaps just with a simple .22lr can, for use with the .22 unit. Ciener's a VERY money-oriented guy. He wouldn't BOTHER offering the .22 units if he wasn't selling at LEAST several thousand of them EVERY year, and he's been doing so for about 30 years now. OTHER companies aint ALSO sold thousands of .22 units, to include the MILITARY issued ones, you are very ignorant. The National Guard "qualifies' guys with them, on "rimfire only" indoor ranges, in many areas.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
no loss. It doesn't do crap an sks can't,

for half the gun price, 1/4 the price of practice ammo. CorBon offers a 150 gr sp in 30 ak, 2400 fps (supposedly).

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Does anybody have any idea which the top sellers are for reloading dies last year? That should cover most of the top 10.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I know the number one round to reload for the last 10 years has been the .30-06 followed by .308 and .45 acp. .44 magnum and .357 are also on the list.

Mike

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
dies dont mean much. Just means some

rounds are shot a lot, by a FEW people. That does NOT equal ready availability post shtf. The same rounds of brass are loaded over and over, by the same guys. that does NOT equal being widely spread all over the US,or "findable" by the average guy. It MIGHT, but not necessarily, at all. The 30 ak rd is WIDELY available, and not reloaded much at ALL, ya know.

·
Registered
378 Posts
.22lr is also known as "Ballistic Wampum" in some circles, and considered a trading material on the same level as TP, or Coffee in a Post SHTF barter. I would think that in a extended difficulty, similar to Alas Babalyon, ammo would replace currency, and eventually dry up the supplies. I do not think that even the "sheeple" are going to revert to savagery as fast as some people hope. I beleive that after a couple of atrcities occur that the good citizens of N. Podunk will realize that they need to join up to be free and burn out whatever group is living off their sweat. I hope I am right and the decent people who need to be active dont quit, or get snuffed immediately. .

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
article in WHAT? circulated HOW? The power will be 'off", the gasoline will be used for more immediate needs (really quickly) Well over 95% of the "good guys" will have no CHOICE but to become looters. they AINT GOT any gear or goodies to prevent such an eventuality being reality. Not even 1% of the nation has jack crap in the way of knowledge or gear, for handling such a thing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
IIRC one of your personalities hinted in another forum that they would go to "Wally World" WTSHTF, and take what ever Your flinty little heart desired. I do believe that it was a forgone conclusion that all the sheeple will be there as well but Your custm Star, and "Canned 11.5 Car-15, witha .22 conversion unic" would be all the checkbook that you need. I have seen "Wally World" on sale days wnd don't think that WTSHTF it will be any easier to get around in, nor will the people be any more tolerant . If we are so low in Your opinion, why waste your time here?, and Why be so negative almost all the time?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts