Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

What are the most rounds you have fired recreationally in one day - any calibers?

• Woosy Level = 1 to 50 rounds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chipmunk Level = 51 to 100 rounds

• Girlie Man Level = 101 to 150 rounds

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how many rounds do you think you have fired, at most, in one day just for the heck of it? I mean what is the highest number of rounds you have fired in one day recreationally? Please limit yourself to rounds fired from guns we can all likely fire, by which I mean single shot, revolvers, semi autos, pump actions, bolt actions, or in other words no full auto weapons and no military or L/E experiences - just regular recreational shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whoops did I really just vote myself into the Spouse Hater's Level? LOL, really its all in fun but be honest as to how many you have shot in a day.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Geez its hard to say, I've been shooting since the early '70's. When I shot IPSC it wasn't hard to shoot 400-600 rds per day, Service Rifle competition was generally around 100 rds a day, when I drag out my .22 it could be 2x 325 rd packs of Federal 36gr. For an averge day of cowboy action practice it will be at least a minimum of 100 rds per firearm.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
500 rds + on several occasions when I had time, the ammo and good company. Mostly somewhat less but theres plenty of time for visiting with friends.

RIKA

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I go to the range with the 22's - I go thru a brick or 2 easy.

I can only remember going thru centerfire ammo like that once - 38 cal reloads in several revolvers.

My wife and I spent the day at the range couple weeks ago. We both went thru 8 boxes of 38's that day along with brick and half of 22's. I bought a Remington 870 youth 20 gauge awhile ago to train the neice and nephews on - she put box and half thru it. She like it much better than her single shot house gun.

She is a shool teacher and set up on another shooting bench grading papers, while I played for another hour of so fine tuning the Nikon scope I put on a Marlin 39A.

Great day.

Jim

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Aw damn, I forgot to include the rimfire rounds. . .

That'll bump me up to the Lots of Ammo to Burn Level .

I don't know about anyone else, but when I do shoot rimfires, I can't seem to shoot less than a brick at a time.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Whew! I couldn't even take a guess, but I know which day it was. We usually head out to the range for a morning or an evening, but it is common to do both. When a friend (or three) comes in to visit for a range trip, we usually go from dawn to dusk (in Spring or Fall only, of course) with a break for lunch to head over to the closest restaurant with AC.....lol.

Anyway, on this day, we took my wife's lab assistant to the range since he was only here for a couple of months from The Netherlands. (Everything is illegal over there including slingshots, pellet rifles, and more!) We intentionally brought at least one type of each firearm I had plus my friend that usually does the all-day-shoots with us brought in most of his firearms. Then, we shot and shot and shot and shot....

Mark, the guy from over there, probably shot the most, but I have no realistic estimate of the number of rounds fired total or by any one person. I had most of my ammo in one large duffle bag I bought for that purpose. In the morning, it took two of us to carry it to the truck and we had to put the tailgate down to load it because we couldn't lift it high enough to go OVER the tailgate. When we got home, I carried it inside by myself easily. The rest of my ammo that I brought was in ammo cans. Not sure how much we shot out of them, but they were much lighter at the end of the day, too.

My friend that came in to shoot with us had almost, but not quite, as much ammo with him as I did. We shot more of mine than he shot of his, but he was much lighter at the end of the day, too.

That was shotguns, cowboy action, pistols, rifles, C&R, MBR......everything.

KJ

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
W/9 mags for the 22 & 6 for the 9mm I can burn up alot & right quickly.I usually load then shoot all the mags.Put that one aside to cool & pick up the next gun.Sometimes I'll bring along a 44 (or 2) & the brass pile grows real fast.
I wish that there was a rifle range close by so that I could shoot the mil-surps more.The range I frequent doesn't allow steel cored/cased ammo.
Mostly .22 though.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I (used to) regularly pump a box or two of .22lr per sitting. One time, I pumped around 2,500-3,000 rounds out of my 597. That was a FUN day. :uzi:

Originally posted by Magnum88c
I don't know about anyone else, but when I do shoot rimfires, I can't seem to shoot less than a brick at a time.
I'm with you on that one.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
many days of over 1000 rds of .45, a few over 1500 rds, and lots and lots of days of over 1000 rds, half .22 unit, and half .45.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have shot well over a thousand rounds in a day on at least two ocassions when it was not related to work and was simply pleasurable shooting. There was a lot of 9mm ammo fired off, as well as a lot of .22LR, with a smidgen of 12 gauge thrown in for good measure. Those 500 round bricks of .22LR go pretty quickly when you have several guns out of which to fire them. They can also be pretty inexpensive to shoot. Luckily for me, the 9mm ammo I was shooting, while being premium brands of HP ammo, was also quite inexpensive for me as in free. Free ammo is always an incentive to shoot oodles and oodles of it. With nine magazines for my Beretta pistols, it went pretty quickly.

While I don't recall the exact numbers I know I shot more than 1,000 rounds at my uncle's farm one day while out in the woods. I am hopeful the local wildlife does not come down with lead poisoning! That day I shot a few more boxes than a brick of 22LR and at least 500 ronds of 9mm, some 12 gauge and some 7.62X54R. His neighbors complained to him a bit after that one, so I went out later on in the day with the 12 Gauge, and as if that had not been loud enough I then also brought out the Nagant M44. Talk about loud! Of course the neighbors are no longer a problem as he later sold the farm. That sucked.

In California I also plinked away at will. I was in the foothills of the mountains west of El Centro (probably about 1/4 to 1/3 the way to San Diego from EC) and I easily fired off a brick of 22LR, a few hundred 38 Special, a bunch of 357 magnum, and a couple hundred of 9mm. All with only four guns: a Colt Border Patrol, a Beretta 92SB, a Beretta 70S, and a Ruger 10/22. Man it was ever so nice just to be able to drive out into the desert, sometimes only 10 or 15 minutes from town, and just plink to my heart's content. Too bad they don't allow that at the dumps here in NYC or on LI. The rat populations would decline markedly, and it would be lots of fun.

I think the most I have fired at my local indoor range was about 750 rounds consistng of 9mm plus some 22LR. That day I was rather mad at the wife (not to the Spouse Hater point yet though, LOL) and went to the range to relax. 500 rounds of 9mm go pretty quickly when you have two different types of gun with about 14 mags between them - all hi cap mags too. The 22LR also went pretty fast because I had two pistols with me with 7 mags between them, and a rifle with about 5 mags. Hmm, I may have gone over 1,000 that day too - but 750 may have been more like it. I don't think I was at the range more than an hour and a half to two hours of pure bliss.

Then again, somedays it is good just to be able to shoot 50 rounds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts