Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever tried this? I’ve watched a number of YouTube videos on it over the last couple years, but never tried it. I’m thinking of doing it as a way to personalize a knife I’m giving a brother-in-law for Christmas this year.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I've never done that but that's a great idea to keep the vinegar in place.

French's & Gulden's having a large amount of vinegar does not really shock me.

Now I gotta think of a knife to try that on.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Belongs on Hot Italian Sausage and Hot Dogs, not on my knife.

• Love
Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Experimented this weekend on an old cold steel trail master. Actually think it looks kind of interesting, but I don’t think I’ll mess with it on the brother-in-law‘s Christmas gift. The knife I’m giving him is my unused spare marbles ideal. They’ve been discontinued for years and can’t be easily replaced if I mess it up. Not completely positive I can make it look how I want, and I’d rather leave it normal than do it poorly.

The trail master isn’t one I really plan to do anything with other than leave it to one of my kids someday. So I experimented on it. This is four layers; left on for 30 minutes each and washed off completely between coats: I think it came out kind of neat:
Tool Knife Rectangle Blade Kitchen utensil

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Results definitely depend on the steel though. I also tried a Gerber Freeman (my favorite game-cleaning knife), and that has a low enough carbon content that it didn’t take any etching at all. This is after sitting literally overnight; you can just barely make out a small splotch of discoloration up near the gut hook.
Grey Font Automotive exterior Silver Metal

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I really don't have anything to practice on...oh wait I do.
After I clean it up.
In fact I have several.
One, a few months ago I found a very old machete I had since my early teen years and already modified it (read also repaired teen red-neck style because of teen red-neck damage).
The next a complete Old Hickory Cutlery kitchen knife set that's been a big chore to keep rust free.

I was also pondering on a couple more items but I can leave them as is for now.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This might actually be an easy way to test the rust resistance of a new knife; the more resistant a blade is to the vinegar acid, the less susceptible to corrosion in actual outdoor-environment use. The gerber vs. trailmaster above being simple examples.

When I first tried it, it was on three knives together - the trailmaster, the gerber freeman, and a Mora/Bahco - all at the same time. The very-good stainless of the Mora/Bahco had absolutely zero reaction to the vinegar acid in the mustard; much less than even the gerber did. Twenty minutes, nothing. An hour, nothing. Two hours, nothing. Overnight, nothing. Finally, out of curiosity and because even though Moras are quite good knives they’re still silly cheap, I decided to go out on a limb to test tis steel. (I paid ~$30 total for a five-pack of these years ago, so not much lost if I ruined it.)

Last round, I left it on the Mora in a stripe pattern for over 40 hours, and still virtually no effect. This pic is after more than 50 cumulative hours direct contact with vinegar mustard. The Moras have a reputation as a very good saltwater fishing knife, and now I don’t doubt it at all.
Black Wood Grey Line Knife

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
That is something else!

I know the regular steel versions while not rust magnets will start to tarnish fairly easy.
Had one start in my jeans pocket when bringing firewood up to the house in the snow. I went ahead a few years ago and parkerized the blades of any I had left.
Reminds me of what chapped me a bit about Walmart the other day.
I was in the older Springdale AR store and did a quick walk through of the Sporting Goods section. Well they had a knife that looked like a Mora and I couldn't recall the Bahco name. Well it wasn't that but it did have China on the package.🙄
You'd think for the price points they'd have the Mora/Bahco brand eh?😑

1 - 8 of 8 Posts