Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
with a .22 rifle as being something amazing that he'd once seen a guy do. i was doing it before I went to college, but i never let on to him about it. :) I never got better than 1 success in 3 attempts with the .22 pistol, but i didn't work at it either. In order to impress my wife and daughter, i'm going to have to learn to really be good at this with the airsoft 1911 with Airsoft. Now that pennies dont mean much, and airsoft costing much less than 22's, the pellets being visible in flight, should be feasible to attain this goal this summer.

I once could find nobody else but Dad to hold a stopwatch on me, early morning practice for a match nearly 200 miles away. One stage was a bill drill, in 2 seconds, open wear, speed rig, 1979. He watched me pace off the 7 yds, from the silohuette and said:" Are you going to shoot from THERE, boy, at THAT?". i said yes, daddy. He said", Boy, I"m 60 years old and all stove up and I"m pretty sure i could hit it from here, with a rock!". I said, Yes, daddy, but could you do it 6x in 2 seconds, starting with your rocks in your pocket"? He got a quizzical look, but blew the whistle and started the watch. I got several clean runs, with a few that dropped into a C or 2.lk But never more than the 2 seconds. He never said anything to ME about it, but I overheard him bragging about me to a neighbor. :)

This sounds a bit tough to achieve, using full bore .45 ammo, but when you can reliably react, draw and get the first hit in .80 second (hands at surrender to start), that leaves 1.20 second for the other 5 shots, which is just .24 second splits, rather slow, in fact. Today, those splits would have to be more like .16 second to be competitive, and the draw and hit would have to be .70 second. for a total of just 1.5 seconds for the entire drill.

I think that starting hands at sides, concealed, using the 9mm, at 10 ft, and still getting all A's, in 2 seconds for the entire drill, is much more to the point. Nobody's wearing speed rigs out there, and nobody's using the sort of .45 loads that would make any difference, either. The range is rarely more than 10 ft, and quite often, C or even D zone hits have the desired effect. Much more to the point, tho is can you get the draw and first 2 hits in 1.20 second or less? While that's a beech to achieve with a belt rig ( from under a t shirt). it's quite easily done in 1.0 second with a "hand in pocket" start. :)

If you know enough to unbutton your jacket, you also know enough to put your hand in your pocket. The latter never attracts attention, but leaving your jacket unfastened can result in your death of pneumonia. In wind, it can mean you "flash" your gun and rig, too. If you wear a jacket when others are beeching about the heat, you are marked as carrying a gun. So the same hand "brush" of an open coat's "tail" is a bs, cheating thing. it won't work when the jacket's fastened, or when you're concealing with a shirt, so why bother with it at all? Either clear the garment with your weak side hand, or practice grabbing it with the gun hand, pulling it up out of the way and then grab your gun. This latter move slows you down but at least 1/4 second and makes a fumble or snag many times more likely.

You'll find that wearing the gun at your navel makes you much less fumble/snag prone and .10 second faster for the concealed draw than if your gun is behind your hip. It's also far more accessible, comfortable and concealed when you are sitting, especially in a car, and it's much less likely to get bumped against people, door frames or cars.

If yoiu're too lazy/cheap to REALLY work at ccw fast draw (airsoft makes it safe and cheap) then go with keeping your hand in your pocket, on a pistol's butt. You;ll be far safer.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Walking around with your hand in your pocket looks suspicious as Hell. You also look like your playing with yourself.

Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Glad to see the old Chief is still in business.

Read a few articles on him and saw him on some TV show doing his thing with the 10/22.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts