Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody. I have fired S&W, Colt, Browning, Glock, Taurus, Heckler & Koch, Beretta, Etc., Etc, Etc. And one thing they all have in common is they make great guns and some real losers. No one bat's 1,000. I try to buy what I think is the best weapon of it's type, regardless of the cost. I'm sure everyone here has bought something from a known manufacturer that didn't quite measure up. I know I have. I don't weep about it, (well, a little bit) but move on. I have weeded out most firearms that don't pass the accuracy/reliabilty test and as a result I have quite a mix of brands. My AR-15 Colt's are my alarm and excursion guns, my Glock 21 and Makarov are my daily partners, and my Brownings are my Deer and Bird guns. My kicking around guns are Ruger, Taurus, and Commie junk. (Junk being SKS's Mausers, and such.) I would like to hear the likes and dislikes of the members of this Forum.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I own Colt's, Rugers, S&W's, Armalites, Springfield Armorys, Springfields, Enfields, pre 64 Winchesters, Brownings, Remingtons all are great firearms and fulfill the purpose for which I purchased them. I fired dozens and dozens of other firearms by many manufacturers, purchasing only those that fit my requirements and geographical situation.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Anything that goes bang every time (well, nearly every time...nothing is perfect) ranks as a good gun to me. The characteristics of the firearm and the cartridge it shoots will determine how it can be best used.

As such, I have a mixed bag as well, and a mixed wish list.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
My favorite manufacturers make condoms, hopefully when it goes bang they will always work! Aside from my try at crude humor at 3:34 AM, let me think for a second, oh yeah you were talking about another type of gear - being guns and gun makers!

OK, to be serious, I guess I do have a favorite manufacturer and that would be Beretta. I have not owned all that many guns, but I can definitely say that most of them have been from Beretta (oldest gun maker on earth, and oldest registered trademark continuously still in use), and never a clunker in the bunch. I started with a Beretta 70S - my second pistol ever (the first was an RG .25 when I knew less than nothing and it now lies in Jamaica Bay in pieces) and the first quality pistol I ever owned. The third was also a 70S, that replaced the first one when UPS left the first one on my landlord's doorstep when they returned it to me from Beretta after getting a minor and free repair. I never saw it again, but UPS paid to replace it pronto, and Beretta sent a new one. I still have that one and it is in pretty darned good to excellent condition. After that came a Beretta Jetfire .25 caliber, then a Beretta 92SB after reading about the military trials when it won hands down over all the competition. That is the only gun I ever shot anyone with (at least that I will admit). Then at least 4 maybe 5 more Jetfires - this because I always carried them in my pocket - such as when in the Border patrol when sweating in 120 degree+ heat. I had one in pocket even once when I was in salt water up to the hips for hours loading a boat with marijuana down in Key Largo, Florida. Talk about rust after a few hours in the water, then a few hours in those pants with the gun still in my pocket before I remembered it. It cleaned up good enough to sell (maybe that speaks to the effectiveness of Break Free CLP). Now I wished I had kept that one. No I am not a smuggler or a dealer, it was a seizure of 119 bales of pot. Then I got a M21 in .22LR (one of Andy's favorites and one of mine for different reasons - a really fun gun, and a last chance gun, and much cheaper to shoot than a .25 caliber), then 2 model 92FS pistols (consecutively serial numbered - is that a brace of pistols?). That was about 10 or 11 Berettas, and as I said never a clunker in the bunch.

I also like, as manufacturers go: Marlin and Remington and Ruger - not necessarily in that order, I guess it was an alphabetical thing.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I guess that my favorite manufacturer would be S&W (based on their older models only - their newer ones stink IMO) and FN (Belgium). Actually I have good guns from most of them and they are all my favorites if they are accurate and reliable.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I'd say my favorite handgun manufacturer would be Ruger. I haven't had a bad gun, or one that really was less than 100%. For rifles, I don't really have a favorite, as I generally like military surplus weapons over commercial rifles. The exception being that I prefer Marlin leverguns over Winchesters.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Raider said:
I guess that my favorite manufacturer would be S&W (based on their older models only - their newer ones stink IMO).......

RIKA
That covered my comments about the worse ones I've owned. Oddly enough all "L" and "N" frames. All with timing issues and all but one 686 shot very little. Sad thing was the 686 was a tack driver when it worked right. The older "K" frame 19s and 66s never gave me trouble.

My favorites Ruger- Revolvers and .22 pistols, Glock- Centerfire pistols, CZ- Rimfire rifles. Centerfire Rifles- Bolt Action: Remington, maybe CZ too but never owned one of their centerfires yet. My overall preference for bolt actions are custom built ones on '98 actions. Semi-Auto Rifles: SA INC., Colt and Arsenal- dependant on caliber.

I also have a fondness for Marlin, Winchester, SIG and Berretta. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rifles: ***Harris Gunworks (my extremely long range rifles, .50BMG's / .338 Lapua's / .300 Phoenix)
-Rimfire: Marlin
--Optics: Schmidt & Bender

Pistols: ***Hammerli, H & K, Infinity, Wildey, Freedom Arms
-Rimfire: Freedom Arms, Ruger

Shotguns: Mossberg, Browning (old Belgium Brownings), Remington
-Militarized/Special: Mossberg, Benelli, (complete customs as well, co-designed with a good friend)

Automatics/Special: H & K

On a side note, a poster stated that no one bats a 1,000 all the time. There are two exceptions to this rule: Harris Gunworks rifles and Hammerli pistols. Although extraordinarily expensive, they are the most accurate firearms of their individual types ever made.

If there are any other serious long range marksmen here, you should really try and find a Harris and pump a few dozen rounds through it. They can run you up to 10,000 dollars or more (not including optics), but they are worth every penny of it. I've never been able to say that about any other firearm, and I've spent more money on firearms in my life than any idiot ever should :p

--Temujin

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
this ASSUMES everyone is as **********, and just stands around in the open, in daylight, waiting to be shot, and that you get a nice sandbagged prone position to fire from. Otherwise,you'll never demo any better accuracy than a used, $300 Remington ADL can demo. :)Pretty silly assumptions, actually.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Andy, what does your comment have to do with a favorite manufacturer?

RIKA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts