Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of cleaning out some of my web space and I ran across a pic of my Les Baer that I posted on the 1911 Forum to show off some of Virgil Tripp's hardchome.

This the gun I used to shoot my way into L10 and Limited Master. I thought I would post this for krept because he is under the impression the gun I used in my half baked THR video is a "race gun".

The gun has been modified from stock. I added that huge magazine well that you could literally throw a magazine at and it would seat itself, lol. Actually, the well is a cheap piece of junk, and it simply slips over the lower grip bushings. Also notice the cheating sights. The rear is adjustable (gamer, gamer) but that's what Baer put on the gun. I hated the wide front sight so I put on a narrow Caspian front sight with a small diameter fiber optic insert (cheater, cheater). I think I'll go back to a patridge front because I am old school.

Let's see, I also changed the sear at about 30,000 rounds. I put in an STI competition sear. Oh, and the barrel was replaced by Baer at about 40,000 rounds because of a crack that developed by the link. I argued with Les over that deal. It was obvioulsy a faulty job from the get go, but at 40,000 rounds the warranty was gone. What other changes?? Oh, I added the Burner grips, beats skateboard tape. I also deactivated the grip safety.

My sincerest apologies to the 1911 purists for trashing out a totally functional gun. But alas, I am a gamer.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Nice piece man, that's badass. I'd be interested in what you had done to your carry weapon. (I'd comment on the CZ but I know nothing about them).

Thanks for sharing.

cheers

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Wow! What a nice looking 1911. Never apologize for it cuz its a beauty. Kept your BoMar huh? Hehehe. I shoot best with the BoMar. Does the huge mag well actually cut that much time compared to the simple beveled mag well? Virgil Tripp's hardchrome looks good. Hard to tell from the pic, is that the brushed chrome.

What brand/model holster are you using? Would you care to comment on your loads?

Its a beautiful handgun and something to be proud of as it helped you to accomplish your goals. If I were shooting IPSC, I would probably go the same route.

Thanks for your post.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ankeny,

Excellent 1911. I bet it still is going strong.

I use a Kimber Gold Match, older model without the firingpin lock. Shoots like a rifle on slow fire, machinegun at rapid fire.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Early Wilson LTD in .45apc

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was being sarcastic on the huge magwell comment. The well is just the cheapo from Dillon. The magwell helps to prevent bobbled reloads. I have a magwell on all of my carry guns too. The gun had a blue finish, but I wore it down to trash with so much dry fire. I wanted to keep the gun "Baer" for resale purposes so I had Tripp do the brushed finish with polished flats. Tripp does the hardchrome for Baer and the brushed/polished finish is kind of a trade mark. The holster is a Safariland 580 and I never used it in an IPSC match but I used it some for IDPA. Yeah, the pistol pictured was a carry piece before I went to an alloy frame and commander length.

Loads are pretty standard fare. Typical wussie IPSC loads at 170 power factor. I use a 200 SWC over Winchester Super Target.

Nice piece Garand. Back when things were fit by hand by real craftsmen. Bet the gun freaking rocks.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Thanks Ron, it holds its own. Personally I've had Witchita's on a couple 1911's and can't see the benefit of choosing a Bo Mar sight.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course, my Baer came with Les' version of the Bomar. I used to use Witchita ribs on all of my PPC revolvers. I shot PPC for many years with guns made by Ron Power when he was actually doing the work. Then I went to Power's Aristocrat Rib and I think he used Witchita Sights. In any event, there is no way I would take a set of Witchita sights off of a 1911 in favor of a Bomar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts