1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the following items for my 50BMG:

*Good quality shooters bench, New only
*Retailer for PMC primers
*A decent deal on IMI 50BMG ammo (Midway can't seem to supply anyone anymore)
*Newest Ballistics software.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Tank Troll

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Whenever I look for ammo, I normally always check ammoman.com first.

At the latest gun shows I've been to, haven't seen much .50 ammo, and that which was available was $2 a pop or better.

Been meaning to pick up some of the Barrett ammo, just for the collectibility of it, but just haven't gotten off my butt to do it. It's supposed to be damned nice stuff to shoot.

As for a shooters bench, I bought one a while back that seems sturdy enough. Starting to show deterioration from being out in the elements for years, however. The Florida heat and humidity will get to just about anything after a while. Wish I could think of the name of the guy I got it from. Three quarter inch plyboard top on a steel square tubed frame. My .50s fit on it well and didn't slide off from recoil.

As for primers, been a long time since I bought any, and they were CCI that I got from Cabelas, I believe. I would check Wideners or Hi-Tech Ammo if I were looking for some now. If you are a member of the FCSA, they publish a source book every year that would probably come in handy to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still looking

Thanks Rich,

Gun shows have some 50BMG ammo but it is pricey as you stated. They don't have the IMI ammo that I'm looking for. For some reason most places I've looked for IMI ammo have it on backorder. They each claim that they are unable to replenish their supplies. Do you think shipments are being blocked from overseas for some reason? I like the IMI because of the quality of the brass.

Primers are another story. I looked for CCI#35 primers lately but the $20 HAZMAT fee is killing me. As if the price of the primers weren't too much already. Manufacturers of the 50BMG primer are ripping us off. $88 for 500 primers while Large Rifle Primers are $18 for $1000.

I'll keep looking for a bench. I definitely want it to be adjustable.

Thanks,

"Tank Troll"

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
You do know that the Barrett brand ammo is made by IMI, don't you? I really need to order some of that stuff....

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
BTW, it looks like Cabelas has some .50BMG ammo for sale. Price is around $88 per 50 and they have blue tip and spotter/tracers for sale. Also selling projectiles too.....

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
thanks for that info, i'm settin' on my stash[i.e. not shootin' it]
although, in the gravey-train 'phase' i should buy another [100] rds!
hell, i need more .223 ! in a realistic [p.o.v.]

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Check Ammoman.com for .223. Eric often runs specials on the SS109 stuff. Get on his mailing list. I recently bought a bunch of .357 Sig GoldDots for a damn good price.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I COPY! MR. RICH-Z. as i ordered the combo pack [in 5.56 ]
the other day,,,i'll be the judge!,,although, i did value 'YOUR' insight!

and there WAS'NT NO $88 per 50 'BMG' ROUNDS ON THE TABLE![assholethat youare] :roflmao1:,,,,dammit, i just scrolled up an saw your $88/50 were at CABELAS :headbang: [sorry! brother-man/friend] :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beware!!

Rich Z,

I checked Cabelas. They sell bulk military 50BMG ammo for $89/box of 50 rounds. That's not $0.88/rnd but rather $1.78/rnd. It comes with a free plastic ammo case and a heafty hazardous shipping charge.

:hot: Beware of people selling opened Orange boxes of HSM ammo. I used some of this crap and it destroyed my M82A1 bolt. It pitted the bolt just around the firing pin, deep pits too. The primers were blowing out and burning holes in the primer pocket around primers.

Tank Troll

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Guys, be aware that the stuff we shoot in our .50 rifles and machine guns is what is referred to as a lower grade .50 BMG round. I've found that some of the hot crap that is used in the rotary cannons has somehow found it's way onto the market. I also know that a few resellers have been reloading the ammo to those hotter specs. Be aware that 99% of the rifles out there cannot handle these hotter loads and will Kb very catastrophically.

Fortunately, the ammo that is getting out is few and far between... Just know the dealer and the ammo before you buy.

Mike

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
What's the scoop with that HSM ammo? I bought a bunch of boxes of it a long while back. What do I need to look for? I have fired some of it and it worked just fine for me.

Fortunately I bought a bunch of the stuff when you could get it rather cheaply and it was readily available. But I still keep my eyes opened for stuff when I find it. I have a note in with Eric at Ammoman to let me know when the Barrett stamped ammo becomes available again. I want to pick up a few cases of it.

But Mike, now you have me worried about that over pressured ammo. Any telltales to look for when I see stuff for sale?

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts