Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this at walmart and thought it might be a replacement for the firesticks I used to buy which are now marketed under the Coghlan's brand name.

These are Duraflame and are about 5x the product amount for about 2/3 the cost.
If they work good. If not it'll be fireplace tinder material.
IMG_20210609_145941092.jpg

I'm also kicking around the idea of taking magnesium powder and dusting them with it then sealing it in paraffin wax. After cutting the sticks into 1.5" sections.
Maybe overkill or not however.
Again if they work out okay.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
For camping & grilling and such that looks like it could be very good, in addition to emergency use. Are they match-light?

I don't camp anymore, and firestarters are strictly an emergency thing for me now. I'm a huge fan of trioxane tabs. They're not the cheapest - last batch I bought was 17 boxes (51 bars, and in most conditions a bar will start two or three fires) for $71 including shipping back in January. But for me they're mostly only for emergency use so I don't use tons of them, and they light in any conditions I've ever tried them in. They'll even light even if floating in water. Which of course is pointless in itself, but about as good a 'worst-case' test as I could come up with 20+ years ago.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I've used these before, and they work really well. I have not used them camping though.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
...I'm also kicking around the idea of taking magnesium powder and dusting them with it then sealing it in paraffin wax. After cutting the sticks into 1.5" sections.
Maybe overkill or not however.
Again if they work out okay.
Back a long time ago I did the whole prepper-nutjob thing of putting dryer lint into the spaces of a pulp/paperboard egg carton, pouring melted parafin over it, and then cutting the individual egg-size compartments apart. They worked fine; made great tinder, but a pain and somewhat messy to make. I also used to carry 35mm film canisters in my GHB filles with petroleum-jelly-soaked cotton balls; the canisters taped shut and put in ziploc bags to prevent leakage. Cheap and worked, but kind of messy and kind of a pain. Now I'm old and lazy, and just stick to mostly trioxane for convenience. As few as I use, there'll likely be some of that last order left for my kids to have to deal with. 🤠

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I understand that.

There's been times I've bought some stuff and after a few years thought "Why the heck did I buy all that!"
I don't know if you remember the group Ranch Rescue that was supposed to help besieged land owners along the border? But anyway I had scrounged a bunch of surplus and other web gear and clothing that would blend in down there.
After that organization became defunct I had it laying around and sold off most of it or donated it to Salvation Army, Goodwill etc.,.

When you mentioned fuel tabs that reminds me to get some more.

I like to have several different methods of heating and cooking. Not just SHTF but normal power outages or just for camping.
The fire sticks the Coghlan's brand I've used in the fireplace in winter. So these could be used like them for their intended purpose.

For the magnesium I've a couple of angle iron looking pieces of it. And I'm trying to figure a way to safely grind or saw the pieces into powder. I may just slowly cut them into rectangular pieces and distribute them with my gear.
Those cost me nothing and would have been scrapped. Certainly better than the worthless stuff I heard coming from China that's mostly aluminum.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There’s a fire starting gel I’ve carried, it works pretty good. Now, I just shave a fuzz stick or gather pine cones. If you know what to look for, down pines can yield “fat wood” which is full of flammable sap. This is easy to get burning. Otherwise, in the desert it’s small twigs and mesquite wood…

this is the stuff that makes me laugh at Boati and his crunch tool or super shovel. Sure, you could use your multi tool to make a fuzz stick, but it will take you twice as long, and you’re more likely to hurt yourself. Use the right tools, not cobbled or wrong ones.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
I've heard of people using chapstick as fire starting 'gel', but I've tried it twice and never did get it to work.

Reactions: BigEd
1 - 8 of 8 Posts